Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Championship Races 2023

Championship Races 2023

No time for rumour or conjecture this year - straight off the bat at yesterday's FRA AGM:

Senior English Championship Races 2023
    11th February - Long Mynd Valleys - AM 18.5km/11.5miles; 1372m/4501’. Church Stretton, Shropshire.
    13th May - Fairfield Horseshoe - AM 14.5km/9 miles; 914m/1999’. Rydal Hall, Cumbria.
    3rd June - Duddon Valley - AL 29km/18 miles; 1830m/6004'. Newfield Inn, Seathwaite, Cumbria.
    23rd July - Chapelfell Top - AS 7km/4.4 miles; 400m/1312’ - St. John’s Chapel, Weardale, Co. Durham.
    20th August - Sedbergh Hills - AL 22.5k/14miles; 1830m/6004' - Sedbergh, Cumbria.
    23rd September - John Hewitt Shelf Moor - AS 9.1km/5.7miles; 457m/1499’- Old Glossop, Derbyshire.

March 25th - Mourne Maurauder AM 16.0km/10 miles; 1200m/3940’ - Newcastle, Co. Down.
    July 1st - Meall an t-Suide Graham Brooks Memorial - AS 5.6km/3.5 miles; 460m/1510’ - Fort William.
    5th August - Maesgwm Detour AM 18.9km/11.7 miles 1060m/3480’ - Llanberis, Gwynedd.
    20th August - Sedbergh Hills - AL 22.5k/14 miles; 1830m/6004’ - Sedbergh, Cumbria.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Thanks ba-ba. Clearly we should have started the conjecture earlier [note to self for next year] .

I was planning on focusing on some other races next year, but think I'll have a pop at English again, as Long Mynd Valleys and Fairfield were already ones I was thinking about.

Chapelfell Top looks interesting, straight up and down....

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Chapelfell Top looks interesting, straight up and down....
    route-choice on an out-and-back and some heavy ground and all!

Its great that they appear to be using the Long Mynd Valleys on the original February date.... An early start for the Champs.

A few years ago when it was a Champs race, they had the usual race in Feb, then ran it again in March/April specially for the champs.

I asked about a March but not available for access. I think a Feb race adds in a different Fell Running skill - not something I'd want done every year but every now and then yes (in 2011? it used the Feb date). Made sure there's 2 weeks of recovery before The National for the quick lads!

Yes i'll have to miss our final League XC fixture to do the Valleys!

Fairfield is quoted as having 1000' less climb than it actually is.

I'll have a bash at Fairfield, i can probably set a target of 1.35 if i can learn the way round the bad step and go round that awful rocky lump directly after Fairfield on the way back down. The PB race map advises going round to the left.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Long Mynd Valleys is my best chance of decent points... early in the year, southerly location, so possibly a smaller turnout... and bang in the XC season so will be fit... plus there won't be many there who know the course as well as me... think it will be my 7th or 8th running, plus many other runs taking in parts of the route.

Fairfield should be my type of route, very runnable, but will struggle for points with i assume a huge lineup.

Similar for Sedbergh, love the race, suits me well, but opposition will be strong.

Might do ok at ChapelFell, fancy my chances at a short race, especially that time of year when i'm doing a lot of short training.

Won't do Duddon, not my type of race. Shelf Moor an insurance policy at the end if i need it.

*all the above based on current form... i could always improve (which is the aim!!)