Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 389

Thread: Peris Horseshoe

  1. #111
    Master IainR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NH, USA
    Posts
    6,098

    Re: Peris Horseshoe

    Could be shortened....the full one I mean...40 mph winds...rain.. 10 deg's, with 40 mph winds it'll feel fairly cool on the tops..if it is I think I'd just do the long on my own.

  2. #112
    Senior Member richpips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Hayfield
    Posts
    178

    Re: Peris Horseshoe

    Isn't the weather always like that in Snowdonia?

    Looking forward to it.

  3. #113
    Master IainR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NH, USA
    Posts
    6,098

    Re: Peris Horseshoe

    Quote Originally Posted by richpips View Post
    Isn't the weather always like that in Snowdonia?

    Looking forward to it.
    The Peris has been pretty lucky, much more so than the 1000m peaks as our summer tends to be April/May and then late in the year.

    2006 was a scrocher and the next 2 years were nice too. I hope it isn't shortened but the organiser used to shorten the Elidir race quite a bit.

    The shortened course is down to Pen Y pass and over Bwlch glas via the Pyg, then as normal fron Wyddfa I think..

  4. #114
    Senior Member richpips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Hayfield
    Posts
    178

    Re: Peris Horseshoe

    Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    The Peris has been pretty lucky, much more so than the 1000m peaks as our summer tends to be April/May and then late in the year.

    2006 was a scrocher and the next 2 years were nice too. I hope it isn't shortened but the organiser used to shorten the Elidir race quite a bit.

    The shortened course is down to Pen Y pass and over Bwlch glas via the Pyg, then as normal fron Wyddfa I think..
    I hope they don't shorten it.

    Missing Lliwedd out, doesn't make it then an easy day.

  5. #115
    Senior Member Sam Harrison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Lancaster
    Posts
    712

    Re: Peris Horseshoe

    I just feel sorry for the guys standing around at the checkpoints!

    Looking forward to it myself, there is something oddly satisfying about running in rain and wind.

  6. #116
    Master IainR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NH, USA
    Posts
    6,098

    Re: Peris Horseshoe

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Harrison View Post
    I just feel sorry for the guys standing around at the checkpoints!

    Looking forward to it myself, there is something oddly satisfying about running in rain and wind.
    Forecast has deteriorated, now up to 50 mph winds and extensive rain. And it looks like the good weather may come through early. XC, Metoffice and MWIS all suggest it worsening, met check remain positive..

    Starting to seriously think it'll be shortened. 50 mph isn't dangerous, its just a buffering for us runners but the marshals won't be of young kind...

  7. #117
    Senior Member richpips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Hayfield
    Posts
    178

    Re: Peris Horseshoe

    Which ever forecast you look at it the weather certainly declines during the day.

    As you say 50mph is nowt really. 80+ mph needed for that flying effect iirc.

  8. #118
    Master Welsh Harrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Here, there and everywhere!
    Posts
    1,424

    Re: Peris Horseshoe

    Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Could be shortened....the full one I mean...40 mph winds...rain.. 10 deg's, with 40 mph winds it'll feel fairly cool on the tops..if it is I think I'd just do the long on my own.
    Stick to the half is my advice - I thoroughly enjoyed it last year!

  9. #119
    Senior Member richpips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Hayfield
    Posts
    178

    Re: Peris Horseshoe

    I've said I'll take the winners shield back from oop north so I'm there whatever.

    If the long is shortened I'll race the short, and go for a "long" run after.

  10. #120
    Senior Member rocksteady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Trefor Llyn Peninsular
    Posts
    466

    Re: Peris Horseshoe

    i remember running a shortened course a few years ago,it was due to very strong winds,some of the rocks on top of Elidir fach were getting blown along the ground you could hardly stand up.the route by-passed the lliwedd and went up the pyg track to snowdon,but the weather did improve during the day though as i remember.personnaly i cant see the fun in running in such difficult conditions,i`d just opt out and do some quality training session lower down,the race will still be there next year and the mountain will most certainetly be.

Similar Threads

  1. Peris Horseshoe
    By novice in forum Recce
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-10-2009, 03:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •