Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2937383940 LastLast

Thread: Peris Horseshoe

Entries opened this morning.

Don't be shy, i am currently the only entrant (which will admittedly increase my chances of a decent position).

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Much as I would like the opportunity to break my own record for the slowest ever descent from Glyder Fawr to Pen-y-Pass, I have other commitments on 25 September.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Classic Peris conditions today. Poor visibility throughout, zero at times. Bursts of heavy rain at times in the 2nd half... thankfully not too windy and still quite warm.... vest weather for myself and the majority of the field.

As to my own race, 12th in 4hrs46.... 11mins slower than my best time, but it was pretty treacherous on the rocky sections (of which there are many).

I'm not about to say that i should be finishing higher, or should have done this or that... but i made several errors in the clouds... cocked up the last part of the descent to PyP and ended up running up the road. Also made a hash coming off Lliwedd and had to re-ascend up the Watkin Path a bit... and made a false-start up what i thought was the direct route up onto Snowdon, which proved wrong, then ended up taking the Watkin Path to the finger and having to double back.

These errors probably didn't cost much more than about 10mins in total, but they add up and it takes effort to get back up to those in front. And really by the time i got to the final pull onto Snowdon i was about shot. Came under pressure from a lady behind (Mary Gillie?) on the final slippery descent off Moel Cynghorion, but fortunately there is a decent undulating run-in so was able to hold her off.

But no doubt most people in front are similarly chastising themselves for errors made.

Hello to GeoffB and wife.... (Sue came past me as i was pratting about getting off Lliwedd and disappeared into the gloom coming off Snowdon).

Unfortunately there were some tragic (non race related) events today.... my mum and dad were on the buss up to PyP when a cyclist coming down the pass lost control at high speed and went under the bus, dying instantly. The bus veered through a dry stone wall and up onto the mountainside in an effort to avoid the cyclist, but it was to no avail as he was going so fast on the wrong side of the road and had evidently lost control. It sounds like it was a pretty horrific set of events.
    Last edited by Travs; 25-09-2021 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Unfortunately there were some tragic (non race related) events today.... my mum and dad were on the buss up to PyP when a cyclist coming down the pass lost control at high speed and went under the bus, dying instantly. The bus veered through a dry stone wall and up onto the mountainside in an effort to avoid the cyclist, but it was to no avail as he was going so fast on the wrong side of the road and had evidently lost control. It sounds like it was a pretty horrific set of events.
    How absolutely horrific. It was clear something had gone wrong when I got to PyP and the road was taped-off - Stuart mentioned that something awful had happened, I didn't know any details and didn't really want to seek them out. Tragic.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Classic Peris conditions today. Poor visibility throughout, zero at times. Bursts of heavy rain at times in the 2nd half... thankfully not too windy and still quite warm.... vest weather for myself and the majority of the field.
    It was classic conditions - great running weather in many ways, apart from the viz and wet rock throughout. Was really pleased with my run - small field (in probably the best race of the entire calendar?) but made-up to grab 5th. Also made a hash of the PyP descent - I've never been the same way twice - and made couple of errors up and off Lliwedd. Given me a real boost as only 3rd race of the year, and the last one (Welsh1000s) just about broke me. I completely love the Peris Horseshoe.

Richard if you finished 5th, i think you may have been the guy who was in close contention with that tall Glossopdale runner?

Came past me between Elidr and Y Garn. You were pulling away on the descents and i was catching you back up on the climbs (until i went walkabout and dropped a lot of time on you both)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
    How absolutely horrific. It was clear something had gone wrong when I got to PyP and the road was taped-off - Stuart mentioned that something awful had happened, I didn't know any details and didn't really want to seek them out. Tragic.
    How awful for all involved, including witnesses and the bus driver. Condolences to family and friends.

What an awesome event!
    My first Peris and defintely not my last....
    I came sixt to last in the full, making some awful school boy error nav mistakes, but TBH I would have settled for anything in those conditions...
    even retirement was an option for around 3 seconds!
    Thanks to Stuart McDonald for the faultless organisation...
    I will definitely go back for more... for the scenery, at least ;-D

Another great Peris day.

Did the half today.

It wasn't a priority race... expectations were to be at the sharp end of the race, and if possible be under 2hrs.

Pushed fairly hard up the first climb and reached the top of Elidr Fawr within a minute of 1st/2nd, but when we then hit the runnable stuff i couldn't stick with them, and found myself in a bit of a no-mans-land, a couple of minutes behind 1st/2nd, and a few minutes ahead of 4th/5th.

This stayed the same until my trademark discombobulation on the descent from Glyder Fawr to Pan Y Pass.... i didn't entirely disgrace myself, but i took a poor line off the top and spent most of the descent either hacking across tussocks or shimmying down rock-faces.... i took over 23mins, and everyone else in the top 5 was under 20mins...

Inevitably i dropped to finish 5th in 2hrs01.

Felt good today, ran better than expected but just a shame i couldn't quite bring it home at the end... will definitely spend a day doing a proper recce prior to racing either Peris or Welsh 1000 again.

Hello to the Pennine forum contingent... GeoffB in support as always, and PatrickBarry and RichardB , nice to briefly meet you both.

Pete
    Last edited by Travs; 24-09-2022 at 06:10 PM.