Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Peris Horseshoe

Re: Peris horseshoe (half)

It's a good 'un alright. I did this last year, fantastic race, great views. I'm hoping to do the full race this year. The route wasn't marked up through the quarries, I managed to tag behind an Eryri runner. It can be a bit confusing. The descent from Glyder Fawr down to Pen y Pass definitely needs a recce.

Remember to take a couple of quid for the bus back from Pen y Pass.
    He's big and he's good.

Nice race, very straight forwards until Llyn Y Cwn, there's a few options on the ascent from there but the descent is crucial, get it wrong and you'll lose 5-10 minutes.

The real Peris is the full Peris though, I reckon that race starts at PyP.

The quarries are pretty straight forwards, more will do it this year, the top from the access road to Elidir Fawr is tricky, some favour the gully, I do the PBR route over Elidir Fach, because I know it so well. Not sure there is much in it. Most locals take the gully route though.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    ...The real Peris is the full Peris though, I reckon that race starts at PyP...
    Does that mean I can get the bus up to PyP and just run from there?

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    Does that mean I can get the bus up to PyP and just run from there?
    Good tactic..:-)

I've always been told that you should aim to get to PyP and feel fresh and ready to go for it. I always get in t pyp battered. There's a good few hills to go.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Good tactic..:-)

I've always been told that you should aim to get to PyP and feel fresh and ready to go for it. I always get in t pyp battered. There's a good few hills to go.
    That sounds a bit like Dave Tait's race notes for Ennerdale - "Don't be knackered by Pillar" - but I always am.

Anyway, looking forward to this - my first time this year.

Clashes with the Ben race this year so a no goer, first time I'll have missed this since I've been back in the UK.

I love the Peris, deffo worth a recce of the descent to PyP if you get the chance, I think the 2006 race notes were wrong about the best line. You need to leave the ridge earlier.

Exclamation Re: Peris Horseshoe

I have completed the Peris on three occasions and have marshalled on the event on numerous occasions aswell and there are very few races held in Wales as challenging as this one.

The 1000m may be slightly longer but that race is just a hard slog whilst the Peris especially after Pen Y pass is energy sapping to say the least.

On such a challenging event the weather always plays a part but when you consider you visit three of the 3000ft summits which incudies Snowdon the weather conditions really set this one out as a hard event.

The entrants for the 1000m is compiled of many novices who think they are fit enough to complete the course often reaching Pen Y Pass too tired or beyond the cut off time.

There are very few novices taking part in the Peris either because it is not as famous as the 1000s and therefore doesnot recieve as many entries and those who enter realise how hard the race is and treat it with the respect it deserves.

Look at last years fiasco with the rescue service having to go to the aid of several poorly equipped and out of their depth entrants in the middle of the Carneddau.

Granted the weather was horrendous but the seasoned entrants who knew what to expect actually finished the race.

I have completed both races but my first Peris left me so tired that it was a struggle to operate the clutch pedal on my drive home to nearby Llandudno.

The Peris is a classy race that every serious fellrunner should try just once.

Re: Peris Horseshoe

Quote Originally Posted by Llandudnoboy View Post
    ......................The Peris is a classy race that every serious fellrunner should try just once.
    I quite agree. I think of it as a shorter version of the Wasdale Horseshoe.
    Yiannis

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    I quite agree. I think of it as a shorter version of the Wasdale Horseshoe.
    Yiannis
    While I found Wasdale harder, I think Peris is one of the most serious routes on the calendar - that I've done, it just gets harder and harder but the Lliwedd > Snowdon section contains some of the most serious sections of running I've ever crossed.

I many ways I found it more similar to the Great Lakes Run.

The thing with the Peris is once you get to PyP, then it begins, steep ups, steep downs; its also navigationally tricky getting off Glyder Fawr.

I did the half Peris last year . That was hard enough ! I'm hoping to have a good few months running and build up to the full Peris this year . It will be the longest hardest race I'll have done .