Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Peris Horseshoe

Re: peris horseshoe/half

Quote Originally Posted by bcegkmqsw View Post
    I find the lack of water on parts of the course to be one of the most difficult aspects of the full race. The whole section from PyP to Yr Wyddfa is very dry! Last time I ran the race I was out of water by Bwlch Ciliau.
    There's sometimess/often water on the climb up G. Fawr, but from then on there is no reliable source. I tend to drop a bottle before the climb up Lliwedd, under a rock,a nd then pick that up and either drink there and then and collect after, or carry it onwards. There's sometimes water at the summit, but that's often poured out when you get there and I normally just push on..

Peris horseshoe / Half peris

Anyone done this race before. Is it a popular one and how likely is it that I'll be able to follow others.

I was planning to do the 3000's tomorrow but can't face a wet bivy on snowdon tonight. Thought this race might be a good alternative.

Ta

Re: Peris horseshoe / Half per

I did the full Peris last year & can highly reccommend it. Following is probably ok until the Glyderau, but it won't be a big field so you've a very good chance of being on your own in the latter stages.

Bit late for a recce I suppose!

Re: Peris horseshoe (half)

That path off Glyder Fawr is pretty straight forward for the first half mile but then mysteriously disappears and goes to the far right with no visible path.

Unless you realise its the right way to go you would be totally lost in mist.

I lost around 30min on the short course 1000m which now takes in Glyder Fawr.

I finished in just over three hours feeling almost like i had not run 10miles due to my slow pace off the Glyders.

I must go over that section again because if you continue staight down as i did you have to cross over some very boggy ground to eventually join up with the original path and then finding the best route to the stile next to Pen Y Pass youthhostel is not that easy either even in good weather like i had.

I believe its this section off Glyder Fawr to Pen Y Pass that could mean a good or almost good time on the full Peris course.

Half Peris race route

Hi all,

Would anyone be able to tell me the route of the half Peris please?

I know the route roughly but want to know if there's any checkpoints etc and which tops to visit. Can't see anything on the Eryri website.
    Will Meredith - Pennine

Re: Half Peris race route

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Hi all,

Would anyone be able to tell me the route of the half Peris please?

I know the route roughly but want to know if there's any checkpoints etc and which tops to visit. Can't see anything on the Eryri website.
    Same as the full Peris but stops at Pen Y Pass.

Llanberis > Eliidir Fawr (CP1) > Garn (CP2) > Glyder Fawr (CP3) > PyP.

Sorry to hijack this thread Will.

Did a recce of the full route this week I eventually picked the path up of Glyder Fawr tp Pen Y Pass (noticed many of the rocks are tagged with a red dot along this path) , but couldn't find the start of it from the summit also what is the cut off time for the full route at the pass can anyone (Iain R) help

Those red dots were there years ago, I'm not sure they have anything to do with the race. Then again they were pretty faded back then so might have been retouched.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Those red dots were there years ago, I'm not sure they have anything to do with the race. Then again they were pretty faded back then so might have been retouched.
    I don't think they've been re-touched, nothing to do with the race as far as I know, they are almost unfollowable now but you don't use that path lower down anyway..

No idea re the cut offs. It's a tough race for a medium, not many will crack 2 hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by N-dubya View Post
    Sorry to hijack this thread Will.

Did a recce of the full route this week I eventually picked the path up of Glyder Fawr tp Pen Y Pass (noticed many of the rocks are tagged with a red dot along this path) , but couldn't find the start of it from the summit also what is the cut off time for the full route at the pass can anyone (Iain R) help
    To get the start its a bit tricky, you descend rough ground, loose rocks for 100m and then find any number of minor paths which eventually lead out to the flatter grassy area. Worth recceing the start of that. There is a good line, but I've never found it in the race so have just gone direct..its almost S from the summit then SSW. But just head SW ish and stay at the toe of the craggy/rocky ground of the ridge proper on the flatter grass and the path is 50-100 m to the left.
    Last edited by IainR; 26-08-2011 at 05:38 PM.