Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Panic Buying

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I usually get by with 6 sheets per sh*t. On the other hand, with all the fresh vegetables and fruit in my diet, it's about three sh*ts per day, so I end up using about as much loo roll as you do, Moley.

But like you, I still can't understand the psychology behind all this panic buying. And I'm also worried that a lot of the food will just be allowed to rot, and thrown away (or thrown away when it is perfectly OK, but just past its Best Before date).

You're forgetting the number one factor... a huge proportion of the population are absolute morons... you only have to look at the dross in the newspapers and telly which "entertains" great swathes of the nation, as proof...

Read yesterday some supermarkets are asking their suppliers to simplify product lines. It said one currently produces 60 types of sausage and they
    want to cut it down a bit. Didn't know there were 60 types.

I have 16 jars of Nescafe Gold Espresso, which is the instant of choice for me, although it has nowt to do with the virus.
    It's normally £4-£5 a 100g jar and I pick up a dollop when it's on offer and during Feb and early March I kept seeing it in places as low at £2.50 so filled my boots.

I missed the boat with rice. I usually buy a sack of Tilda Basmati about once every 6-12 months. I ran out in Feb nearly bought a sack but my daughter has come back home and brought a 1kg pack with her, so I'm nearly out of rice.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Mmmh. Well from the ridiculous to the sublime; my local Tesco was bare of Dove yesterday, which some may regard as "soap" but is actually a "beauty cream bar - for soft, smooth skin".

It really must be the apocalypse.
    Wright’s Coal Tar soap for me, Mrs DTR has always moaned as she says it stinks the bathroom out but I like it for its memories of my Grandparents and for its antiseptic properties after a dirty/crappy/thistley run, surprisingly she become quite keen on it after the last couple of weeks.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    Wright’s Coal Tar soap for me, Mrs DTR has always moaned as she says it stinks the bathroom out but I like it for its memories of my Grandparents and for its antiseptic properties after a dirty/crappy/thistley run, surprisingly she become quite keen on it after the last couple of weeks.
    Woe. Do they still make that? it is even older than Graham!

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Woe. Do they still make that? it is even older than Graham!
    Not the real thing though:

European Union directives on cosmetics have banned the use of coal tar in non-prescription products, resulting in the removal of coal tar derivatives from the formula and replacement with tea tree oil as the main anti-bacterial ingredient. To cloak this major variance from the original recipe, the new soap has been made to approximate the look and smell of the original product.

Interestingly, when domestic gas started to be made by high pressure catalytic steam - naptha reforming processes in the early 1960s, rather than from coal, the major constituent (hydrogen) had no smell so Gas Boards had to add a "gas" smell, usually tetrahydrothiophene.

When the national system was later converted to methane ("North Sea Gas") this again has no smell but T.H.T was unsuitable and so other compounds were introduced.

So over a period of twenty years the smell of "gas" changed twice and on both occasions the public needed to become familiar with the different smell of "gas".
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 20-03-2020 at 06:01 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Not the real thing though:

European Union directives on cosmetics have banned the use of coal tar in non-prescription products, resulting in the removal of coal tar derivatives from the formula and replacement with tea tree oil as the main anti-bacterial ingredient. To cloak this major variance from the original recipe, the new soap has been made to approximate the look and smell of the original product.

Interestingly, when domestic gas started to be made by high pressure catalytic steam - naptha reforming processes in the early 1960s, rather than from coal, the major constituent (hydrogen) had no smell so Gas Boards had to add a "gas" smell, usually tetrahydrothiophene.

When the national system was later converted to methane ("North Sea Gas") this again has no smell but T.H.T was unsuitable and so other compounds were introduced.

So over a period of twenty years the smell of "gas" changed twice and on both occasions the public needed to become familiar with the different smell of "gas".
    Graham you have just burst my bubble being of the camp that if it smells good for you then it probably is I reckon I’m still Ok though, going with this logic I’ll be having a massive Laphroaig on a Monday when I hand my call out phone on to stave off any wee beasties

Master
    Not panic buying just eating less to make what we have go further and TBH feeling better for it allready, on the bog roll subject if the worst comes to the worst we stll have flannels and a perfectly good shower so no worries
    Now carbolic soap is the one that would bring memories back for me
    The older I get the Faster I was

Banned
    No more toilet rolls required by the turds.

I got in early on the bread flour. I bought a bulk load when all this kicked off. Food tastes better when u know it's in short supply!