Page 184 of 303 FirstFirst ... 84134174182183184185186194234284 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,840 of 3023

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    A local fell runner - in his 60s - not me - spent the day after his booster in bed with aches and pains and headache - but it was all over by the following day.
    He was dead?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    He was dead?
    Ha ha! All his symptoms had resolved by the following day.

Master
    13.23 miles, 3,486 feet, 3 hours 50 minutes: Fairfield Horseshoe clockwise from Rothay Bridge, going to the left of the two Heron Pike tops and Great Rigg, to the right of Hart and Dove Crags, and around the Rock Step. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 2,500 feet; the occasional shaft of sunlight. Windy but not cold on the tops - no rain. Terrain anything from dry to saturated and slippery. I saw fourteen walkers on the fell.

I had intended to go down the Rock Step, but it looked very wet and greasy so I went around it. A very strong walker caught up with me going up Nab Scar - it took until I had gone around the second Heron Pike top to shake him off.
    Last edited by Mike T; 19-11-2021 at 03:11 PM.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Another longer-than-usual walk: 3 hours and 26 minutes, via Windmill Hill to Old John in Bradgate Park, back via Swithland Wood. Yet another sunny day: this is supposed to be November!. Pain in the big toe of my right foot from about 1/3 of the way round; I can’t remember whether it was this or the left big toe that was dislocated when I was knocked off my bike in 2010.

Yesterday’s shorter walk took me past a pheasant shoot in the Woodbrook valley between Beacon Hill and Buck Hill. Shooters down in the valley, and men with red and white flags, presumably flushing the birds out, up on the hillside. I saw several dozen birds fly over (there were partridges as well as pheasants), but I only saw one go down. Not very impressive, given that the pheasants were flying in nice straight lines. Still, I suppose the idea isn’t to massacre them, but to leave plenty there to shoot at on another day.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    12.58 miles, 3,735 feet, 4 hours 18 minutes: Elterwater - Swinescar Pike - Sergeant Man - High Raise - Sergeant Man - Swinescar Pike - Lang How - Silver How - Elterwater. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 2,000 feet, misty below that. A strong rather cold wind from the north on the tops; intermittent drizzle/light rain. I had all over waterproof cover on throughout. Terrain wet/saturated and slippery. I saw a couple of dozen walkers on the fells.

It was nice not to go astray on High Raise despite the poor visibility.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Peidiwch y mynd ymhellach.

No, I haven't gone to Wales; but Wales appears to have come to Leicestershire. Or at least, Welsh forestry workers must have come here, since the above text appeared on one of the signs warning the public about the current forestry operations in the Outwoods.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    12.2 miles, 4,178 feet, 3 hours 52 minutes: Rothay Bridge - Low Sweden Bridge - Rock Step - Low/High Pikes - Dove Crag - Scandale - Red Screes - Roundhill Farm - Ambleside. Sunny, with some high clouds above the tops. A cold wind from the north, even in the valley - it was very strong on the tops. No rain. Surprisingly, a lot of the terrain was dry, presumably from the wind; some ice on puddles above 1,600 feet, and in places the grass/mud was crunchy. I wore all over waterproofs throughout, and was grateful for it. Lots of walkers on the fells, some in large groups, and I saw three other runners.

After the Rock Step I stayed to the right of the wall until just below the top of High Pike, when I swapped to the other side through a gate to avoid a large group. Overall it is probably the best way up - I will certainly do it this way again.

It was cold today Mike.... car iced up... frost on the ground in the Carlisle area, although didn't see any frost down by me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    It was cold today Mike.... car iced up... frost on the ground in the Carlisle area, although didn't see any frost down by me.
    It was the coldest it has been for ages - I even carried my microspikes, but did not need to use them. With windchill it was supposedly minus 10 or thereabouts.

Spurred on by watching the cream of British fell running at the FToP, and the realisation that it's only a couple of months until Rombalds Stride; I thought I should get some longer training in.
    Set off from home in Otley and up to Clifton, on to go past the atmospheric Dob Tower and down to the Washburn. Down the valley to Lindley Reservoir and did the steep loop north of it to come down by the Fish Farm. Down the Washburn to Leathley and back home by the side of the Wharfe.
    Lovely sunny day with a frost, fairly dry underfoot. Saw about 6 walkers and lots of Buzzards. Don't know how far or altitude as I don't have any gadgets, but I was out for three hours.