Page 10 of 300 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    At all times I’m more that two metres from others,
    You must be very skilled then, I haven't been able to do that.

By the way, there is a study that says 2 metres is not enough and might need to be four times bigger.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...es-not-enough/
    Last edited by Muddy Retriever; 28-03-2020 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    You must be very skilled then, I haven't been able to do that.

By the way, there is a study that says 2 metres is not enough and might need to be four times bigger.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...es-not-enough/
    Oh come on, you’re just being argumentative for arguments sake now, of course it’s possible to run and to stay 2 metres clear of others if you’re careful and the addition of two metres is too little doesn’t mean anything to my original argument, I’m doing what is required at present, if I have to stay 4 metres away from others I will, if I’m asked to not go out apart from work or shopping I will, why can’t others just do it rather then trying to bend the rules to suit their selfish attitude

Oh come on, you’re just being argumentative for arguments sake now, of course it’s possible to run and to stay 2 metres clear of others if you’re careful and the addition of two metres is too little doesn’t mean anything to my original argument, I’m doing what is required at present, if I have to stay 4 metres away from others I will, if I’m asked to not go out apart from work or shopping I will, why can’t others just do it rather then trying to bend the rules to suit their selfish attitude
    It would be eight metres not four.

I am being argumentative. My point was to illustrate that I thought you were being rather judgemental. Very few people are perfect. There has to be some element of risk in allowing people to continue to go out exercising otherwise why have other European countries banned it? Our Government has for now taken a more pragmatic approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    It would be eight metres not four.

I am being argumentative. My point was to illustrate that I thought you were being rather judgemental. Very few people are perfect. There has to be some element of risk in allowing people to continue to go out exercising otherwise why have other European countries banned it? Our Government has for now taken a more pragmatic approach.
    I’m not being judgmental of people who are following the government guidelines and the advice from the local Police but I am being judgemental of the people who are clearly bending the rules as I said to suit their own selfishness, the roads are generally clear when I have been out, anyone I have come across has done the same as I have and either they have crossed the road or vice versa, it’s great that the government has taken a pragmatic approach and long may it continue, it won’t if the selfish folk continue to flout the rules, as for the 2 versus 8 metres, believe I’m not carrying a tape rule, I’m staying as far away from others as I can, generally a two lane roads width.

Master
    What I don`t get is why when there is a national emergency ongoing, that folk need everything spelling out for them, I am one of the older at risk folk but at least I was brought up to think for myself and I have learned that when faced with guidelines and rules that are alien to me, then it is my obligation to use COMMON SENSE, and COMPASSION in my interpretation of them, not look for loopholes to exploit for my own ends particularly when what I do might put others at risk.

As the in vogue expression says we are all in this together so lets all just use a bit of common sense and look out for one another, that course of action will reap a lot more long turn rewards than bickering and arguing on forums.

Stay safe all
    Last edited by JohnK; 28-03-2020 at 04:12 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Banned
    Should we shop people braking the rules or leave it to the authorities to catch them??

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Should we shop people braking the rules or leave it to the authorities to catch them??
    I reckon if someone is blatantly taking the Mick then they’re fair game for being shopped, again a pragmatic approach is needed, nobody should hassle someone for taking Rover for a walk twice in a day.

I think here is the nub of the problem. Our environments are different. Some may have wide open space like Stolly up in the Horton area.
    I've adapted some routes but it isn't always easy in an urban environment to keep 2m.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

12 mile, 1000ft, 3:35 walk today. The quietest route I've found yet. Maybe the colder temperature put some off.

If any of you have done the old Tockholes Gala race, you'll know the last little climb out of Roddlesworth up a field.
    So we passed through the gate to enter the field, walked up the 200 yards or so to the swing gate and it had a cable tie securing it, so hopped over the low bit at the side, walked the 20 yards across open paddock to the gate and which was chained. Hopped over as it would have been a bit of a detour back.
    On the opposite side of the gate we saw a sign asking us not to use this section of path as a resident in the farmhouse 20m away from the path is in an "at risk" category.

Had they put a sign at the other side at the exit of the woods to properly block of the section, we could have taken a wider loop round. It seems odd only to put a sign at one end of the section.

I won't try that way again now I know of course.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    What I don`t get is why when there is a national emergency ongoing, that folk need everything spelling out for them, I am one of the older at risk folk but at least I was brought up to think for myself and I have learned that when faced with guidelines and rules that are alien to me, then it is my obligation to use COMMON SENSE, and COMPASSION in my interpretation of them, not look for loopholes to exploit for my own ends particularly when what I do might put others at risk.

As the in vogue expression says we are all in this together so lets all just use a bit of common sense and look out for one another, that course of action will reap a lot more long turn rewards than bickering and arguing on forums.

Stay safe all
    Amen to that John. It's not just a taste in music we share! Go well.