Page 186 of 299 FirstFirst ... 86136176184185186187188196236286 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,860 of 2986

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Cotton, even when mixed with other fibres, strikes me as a good formula for chafing, and when it is wet and windy, hypothermia.
    One of my early forays into the Lakes, well over 20 years ago, was up from Honister, over Grey Knotts, Brandreth and Haystacks.... in jeans, in torrential rain...

Lesson learned and never again... they were foaming at my knees!

I don't wear tights very often but when it is really cold I still use my original Helly Hansen Thermal Longjohns.

They are at least 35 years old and probably more but do the job.

As for fit and look they do have a bit of the Nora Batty's about them!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I did manage a walking event yesterday of 20 miles and 3,500ft - with beer at checkpoints (though I only had the one, 9.15am was a little early for me to start on the booze). Good route with plenty of difficult ground + incessant hills and managed a steady 4mph right round with jog/walk mix. Happy with that for now as not really running or any training.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Master
    10.79 miles, 401 feet, 2 hours 15 minutes: around the Roman Ruins, then back and forth along Under Loughrigg, so roughly half and half grass/mud and bitumen. Overcast, no wind/rain/snow. Yesterday's snow has largely gone at this level, and what remains is mainly soft, though there are occasional patches of ice. Microspikes carried but not used. Quite a few walkers about. There are still lots of trees that are down and need dealing with - Under Loughrigg is blocked to cars in a couple of places.

Master
    11.28 miles, 3,184 feet, 4 hours 15 minutes: Traveller's Rest - Bracken Hause - Helm Crag - Calf Crag - Steel Fell - Calf Crag - Bracken Hause - Traveller's Rest. Overcast, cloud base at about 1,500 feet, misty below that. Virtually constant drizzle/light rain - rather windy on the tops - not cold but my triple layers stayed on. Terrain saturated and very slippery. The snow has 99.9% gone at this level. Only two other people - walkers - seen on the fells.

Further Rombalds Stride training.
    From the Thruscross carpark and up to Rocking Hall. The farm you pass early on had the electic supply down - wires in the field, a casualty of the storm. From the lovely Rocking Hall up to Lords Seat and on to Pockstones and the track. Tricky running as therewas a big bank of old snow all along the wall. Down to Thruscross and back round the reservoir. Lots of trees down and the path was closed, but passable. Saw no one, though lots of grouse and a red kite, and was out for 2.45.

Master
    9.39 miles, 2,769 feet, 2 hours 48 minutes: Under Loughrigg, then Loughrigg trails. Sunshine, clouds, and intermittent drizzle/light rain. Some of the high tops in cloud. A strong cold wind at times - it would have been very unpleasant higher up. I kept my three layers on throughout. Terrain saturated and slippery. Very few about.

PS: The Under Loughrigg Road is still blocked to cars by a couple of trees, one of them massive - approximately half way between Miller Bridge and the Fox Ghyll bend.
    Last edited by Mike T; 01-12-2021 at 05:44 PM.

Master
    9.07 miles, 3,786 feet, 3 hours 28 minutes: Wansfell Pike from two sides, including twice up and thrice down the race route from/to the kissing gate. Sunshine, clouds above the tops, and an intermittent cold wind from the north west. Terrain mostly frozen, with patches of ice in places, even in the valleys; slippery, as one would expect - microspikes invaluable.
    I certainly kept my three layers on today, and even had double gloves. Quite a few walkers on the steps, those who were descending were clearly not enjoying the dodgy traction. One fellow runner - his lower legs were uncovered, but then he was generating more heat than I was.
    Lots of trees still blocking some paths.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    9.07 miles, 3,786 feet, 3 hours 28 minutes: Wansfell Pike from two sides, including twice up and thrice down the race route from/to the kissing gate. Sunshine, clouds above the tops, and an intermittent cold wind from the north west. Terrain mostly frozen, with patches of ice in places, even in the valleys; slippery, as one would expect - microspikes invaluable.
    I certainly kept my three layers on today, and even had double gloves. Quite a few walkers on the steps, those who were descending were clearly not enjoying the dodgy traction. One fellow runner - his lower legs were uncovered, but then he was generating more heat than I was.
    Lots of trees still blocking some paths.
    I've always felt the descent route over the rough stuff isn't the fastest way off wansfell on the race day. I don't know whether i get drawn into going too low on the first section, is it wise to stay high and head towards the ascent route?
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    I've always felt the descent route over the rough stuff isn't the fastest way off wansfell on the race day. I don't know whether i get drawn into going too low on the first section, is it wise to stay high and head towards the ascent route?
    From the top near the black metal gate go down next to (either side - I go on the right) the 40 or so rock steps, follow the gravel path around to the left, just before this becomes rock turn right off it onto steep grass, and a trod appears under your feet - down, down, down, until the path curves to the left almost horizontally on a band of grass covered rocks - follow this until the ruins of a wall appears, don't cross it yet - turn down right, and again a path appears - follow it down and cross a gap in the wall - down, across a tiny stream, down on the path with bracken on either side, keep going until the grassy terrain basically runs out, turn left and cross the stream and the steps just above the kissing gate.

99% of this is on grass, or more accurately, worn grass. There are steeper more direct variations at the very top, but I don't think they are worth the slip risk. Apart from at the very top and the very bottom, you are well away from the steps used on the ascent.