Page 212 of 300 FirstFirst ... 112162202210211212213214222262 ... LastLast
Results 2,111 to 2,120 of 2998

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    7.5 miles, 1,726 feet , 2 hours 2 minutes: Loughrigg trails, ascending via the Clappersgate zig-zags, and taking in Todd and Ivy Crags, Lily Tarn, and Loughrigg top. Sunshine and clouds, mainly the latter, with the cloud base just catching the high tops; hazy in the distance. No significant wind; no rain. Terrain mainly dry with good grip. Not many walkers about.

This was with the AAC "Tuesday/Friday" group - the first time I have run with them for over a year - there were 15 of us - it certainly revealed how much my speed has suffered.

Master
    10.81 miles, 2,704 feet, 3 hours 25 minutes: Rothay Bridge - Roman Ruins - Borrans Park - Stagshaw Gardens - Champion Tree Trail - Bluehill Road - Wansfell Pike - along the ridge to the true top and back - race descent - Ambleside. Sunshine and high clouds, a moderate wind from the south, no rain. Terrain mainly dry with good grip, but damp/wet/saturated and slippery in places. Lots of walkers on the main fell paths. Two fellow runners seen on the road, none higher up.

Drills and strides - 2 miles' worth at about 15 to the mile - done in Borrans Park. There is a plaque on the grass marking Arthur Ransome's north pole.

One cuckoo heard.

Master
    13.06 miles, 3,691 feet, 4 hours 36 minutes: Travellers Rest - Green Burn Bottom - Calf Crag - Sergeant Man - Calf Crag - Steel Fell - Calf Crag - Green Burn Bottom - Travellers Rest. Sunshine and high clouds, and a moderate wind from the south west. No rain. Terrain anything from dry to saturated - variable grip. Quite a few walkers about. No fellow runners seen.

For a change I took some different paths between Calf Crag and Steel Fell - there are good and bad ways to cross that stretch, even if you stick to well used routes.

Master
    7.29 miles, 1,120 feet, 1 hour 38 minutes: Kendal Green - Cunswick Scar - Scout Scar - Cunswick Scar - Kendal Green. Overcast, with the cloud base catching the high tops. No wind nor rain. Terrain dry with good grip. Not many walkers about. I was in a group of nine from AAC; we saw a couple of other runners.

On this mainly flat and runnable route my lack of speed really showed.

Master
    13.25 miles, 3,431 feet, 4 hours 37 minutes: Travellers Rest - Far Easedale - Tarn Crag - Sergeant Man - Calf Crag - Steel Fell - Calf Crag - Green Burn Bottom - Travellers Rest. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 2,200 feet. A strong wind from the south west; intermittent drizzle/light rain. Terrain dry/damp with mostly good grip. Not many walkers on the fells, though there are lots on the lower roads and in town, and the parking areas are very busy; three fellow runners seen.

I had not been up Tarn Crag before - I will certainly do it again.

Master
    10.2 miles, 2,358 feet, 2 hours 48 minutes: Rothay Bridge - Roman Ruins - Borrans Park - Stagshaw Gardens - Champion Tree Trail - Kelsick Scar - High Skelghyll - Hundreds Road - Wansfell Pike - race descent - Ambleside. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 500 feet; constant drizzle/light rain. A moderate wind from the south west. Terrain wet/saturated and slippery in places. Not many walkers about; no other runners seen.

Master
    13.26 miles, 3,356 feet, 4 hours 44 minutes: Travellers Rest - Far Easedale - Tarn Crag - Sergeant Man - Calf Crag - Steel Fell - Calf Crag - Green Burn Bottom - Travellers rest. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 2,500 feet; intermittent drizzle/light rain. Terrain wet/saturated and slippery. No significant wind. Not many walkers about on the fells, but town is busy. A couple of fellow runners seen.

Master
    14.32 miles, 4,233 feet, 4 hours 37 minutes: Elterwater - Silver How - Swinescar Pike - Blea Rigg - Sergeant Man - Blea Rigg - Swinescar Pike - Lang How - Silver How - Loughrigg top - Rothay Bridge. Overcast, with the cloud base above the high tops. Intermittent light showers. Terrain damp with mainly good grip. No significant wind. Quite a few walkers about.

I ran with a group of about 15 from AAC until Swinescar Pike - the first time - then they looped back to Elterwater.

Master
    8.76 miles, 2,740 feet, 2 hours 37 minutes: Wansfell Pike, ascending via the Roman Ruins, Borrans Park, Stagshaw Gardens and Kelsick Scar, going along the ridge to the true top and back, and descending via the race route. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 2,000 feet; intermittent light showers, and some brief spells of sunshine; a moderate wind from the south west. Terrain wet/saturated and slippery. Not many about; one fellow runner seen.

There was a cuckoo just above Kelsick Scar.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Gastronomic activities on my current tour of Europe briefly gave way to Yesterday's Permitted Exercise (permitted by my wife), which cost me 10.70 euros: up the stairs to the second level of the Eiffel Tower (which is as far as the staircases go). 115 metres of climbing in 6m15s, which is a rather pathetic rate of ascent for a staircase climb: 0.307m/s (I'm not far short of 0.3m/s on some of my hill reps in the Outwoods). In my defence, I would say that I spent around half a minute on the first level, looking for the staircase from there to the second level; and I had the same problem that Welsh 1000m Peaks runners have on the PyG track, of having to push past slow walkers.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges