Page 14 of 300 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

I think where we live is a result of a combination of life choices and circumstances, and life isn't necessarily fair. But if we have chosen to live somewhere where you might have to wait an hour for an ambulance, you need to drive or cycle if you want to go out to the cinema or for a meal and you can forget any chance of ordering a takeaway delivery.....the upside might be that it's much more proportionate and reasonable to go for a longer run. That's not to suggest we should ignore the guidance when it suits us or look for little loopholes to suit our personal preferences, just to suggest that the situation is different in different locations. And if someone in a crowded city can't go out as much or for as long as they would wish that's a real shame but not a reason for others in different circumstances not to.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    So since I came home yesterday I saw this on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/BlackburnDa...action_generic

I walked through a Witton car park on my way back home and around half a dozen cars were there, including a Dad with his approx. 8 year old daughter popping their bikes back in their car.

So they have completely closed access to the cemetery, which is adjacent to Witton and some public footpaths and they have closed the park car parks meaning that you must visit on foot.

It looks like this is a collaboration between police and local authority.

On what grounds?

This really is starting to get quite sinister as I've been in the park every day this week and I haven't once seen anyone appear to break the social distancing guidance.

Then this morning, I see that Stephen Kinnock MP visited his Dad yesterday to deliver some supplies, as part of his exercise. It's a short walk.
    It also happened to be his Dad's 78th birthday.

So he sat away from the door and sang Happy Birthday to his Dad at a distance that looks around 3-4 metres and tweeted about it.

South Wales Police | #StayHomeSaveLives
    @swpolice
    Replying to
    @SKinnock
    and
    @HelleThorning_S
    Hello
    @SKinnock
    we know celebrating your Dad’s birthday is a lovely thing to do, however this is not essential travel. We all have our part to play in this, we urge you to comply with
    @GOVUK
    restrictions, they are in place to keep us all safe. Thank you. ^cy

We are truly seeing the authoritarian instincts of some people kicking in. As I said in an earlier post, some people are treating the rules as an end in themselves rather than looking at what they are there to achieve. Impossible to see what Stephen Kinnock did wrong, when as you say he was also delivering supplies to his parents and kept more than a safe distance.

We are also seeing that same collaboration between the police and local authority here. Leeds City Council have shut the car parks in all their parks. So we will see more crowded streets than there needs to be when people do their daily exercise.
    Last edited by Muddy Retriever; 30-03-2020 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    I think where we live is a result of a combination of life choices and circumstances, and life isn't necessarily fair. But if we have chosen to live somewhere where you might have to wait an hour for an ambulance, you need to drive or cycle if you want to go out to the cinema or for a meal and you can forget any chance of ordering a takeaway delivery.....the upside might be that it's much more proportionate and reasonable to go for a longer run. That's not to suggest we should ignore the guidance when it suits us or look for little loopholes to suit our personal preferences, just to suggest that the situation is different in different locations. And if someone in a crowded city can't go out as much or for as long as they would wish that's a real shame but not a reason for others in different circumstances not to.
    Agree with this... I don't begrudge anyone who has access to the hills gong out running on them...

Although certain facebook 'friends' posting constant updates, most of them including the words "stay the f**k at home"... and then posting numerous pictures of themselves out in the hills, doesn't quite sit right.

In conclusion, facebook is crap, and if it wasn't for access to race info, photos, results, i'd bin it off tomorrow.

Banned
    My comment was partly about
    1/the clear capacity of resources in national parks to accommodate a transient population of at least five times present levels - it does each summer- and when people leave cities of 1000000 population square mile, with empty supermarkets, and go to places population 10000 a square mile, with at least some stuff in shops, then social distancing is increased, resources are averaged. But the locals brand them covidiots. Selfish is my view of those locals.

2/ there is a distancing benefit achieved by people driving a few tens of minutes to a deserted fell, yet some of the most vociferous opponents I see on the web are those living closer to the very same fells!

3/ farmers are using any excuse in such places to shut paths with no distancing benefit whatsoever. Lambing time is not a reason based in health.

4/ it is no more reasonable for a national park dweller to go for a long run than people elsewhere, the sole criterion is social distancing.

5/ the urging of others not to go on high fell because of mountain rescue , is used as a reason to deter those further away from the fells, but the same reason is ignored by locals!

And so on.

My opposition is not common sense measures,but the pure sophistry used in place of good reason by some of the locals. I have no opposition to all making the most of what they have!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    Last edited by Oracle; 30-03-2020 at 10:29 AM.

Oracle you've pretty much said what I was trying to say in my last comment (but in more words!!)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Oracle you've pretty much said what I was trying to say in my last comment (but in more words!!)
    No wonder the thought police on Facebook rounded on you! If you really want abuse, Put the same thoughts on Twitter!

9 and a bit miles, just under 3 hours, 1000ft walking with Mrs WP again.

The plan is now walk every day for 2-4 hours and get in to the surrounding hills where it is incredibly quiet.
    If Mrs WP doesn't fancy any given day I'll have a run.
    It will be a bit repetitive as I'm sticking to quieter routes either north/west or south/west but can overlap, do the opposite way around, and add in some slight tweaks here and there.

That's assuming they don't start closing down any more options than they have already this last 24 hours.

Overall, as long as we come through this period, I should be a little fitter and shouldn't carry any niggles.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Banned
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-52095047
    9 hours excessive for a triathlete.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Is a 1 hour run AM followed by a 2.5hr walk PM yesterday

Then a 20mile almost 6hr run today acceptable??

This is the type of people we are dealing with.

I don't think it is in the spirit of government guidance at this time no matter what area or district was covered.
    Similar 9 hours???

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-52095047
    9 hours excessive for a triathlete.
    Surely the best thing to do if doing that is not tell anyone, without his need to trumpet it on Strava nobody would know, now he’s told everyone he just looks like a selfish kn*bhead