Page 24 of 300 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

very similar to yesterday with a slightly different way up Billinge Woods to start, as usual with Mrs WP.

7.3 mile, 966ft, 2:09
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    A quick 5k blast around my local streets after finishing work with 10 min warm up/down.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Ahh. But a seer is not an oracle. Oracles wise counsel might need to conceal what is seen by oracles omniscience.
    Perhaps.

I was wondering today, as I swished along on my Bianchi (like a fine race horse, they don't really need a rider) about the post Covid-19 recovery and what you thought.

One might argue that eg Carluccios was a basket case, the market won't miss a failing Italian restaurant brand and its demise is good news for surviving restaurants - every cloud has a silver lining.

And one might argue that businesses that, regrettably go bust but were sound businesses (if that isn't an oxymoron) will be snapped up post - Covid by bottom-feeders who can buy the businesses free of debt and restart on a sounder financial basis - and thrive.

On the other hand there is Venezuela - if you wreck the country then the country is wrecked. And there is also Brexit and if any form of Holy Grail trade deal is now achievable with the EC in turmoil.

I just wondered what you thought?
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 02-04-2020 at 08:56 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

This evenings RATRun was a very cold and breezy 5 miles across the fields to the outskirts of Bakewell and back with my son. On returning home cracked open my 9 pint polybox of Caskade from Whim Brewery. Very tasty indeed.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Banned
    Buy gold , Swiss francs and farmland.
    Swiss francs are less likely to hyperinflate.
    It’s hard to get deliveries of metal, demand is now so high,
    Whilst coin is less traceable and better on CGT, it is also high spread. So bullion in vault better but we cannot rule out a recall as happened in the US in 30s.

We are headed for the mother of recessions worse than thirties.
    A bubble has truly burst. Corona virus was just the pin, of a massively inflated central bank bubble. Stimulus no longer helps.

Take one small aspect: the number of cars bought on lease and the inevitable massive defaults and return of cars at half term. Most GM cars are bought only because of sub prime finance and endless years to pay. If I were a speculator I’d short the financiers of car finance.

or another: Southern Italy is close to civil unrest. They cannot lockdown and eat. Supermarkets are being raided. The banks are still on a knife edge. Italy was only ever one recession from default. EU as always useless.

Or another: The fed said today, there’s no need to make bank withdrawals. Why would they say it but for an alarming increase in withdrawals?

There are of course opportunities: So stock tips of the day

Speculation: gold miners. I’ve held poly metal since Oct
    Gold has a long way to go in my view.

Risk averse: businesses hurt that shouldn’t be,
    Coca Cola HBC. Coke drinking won’t change so neither will bottling, but the share price has, in the massive sell off, they have oversold. People looking for homes for money might do worse!

Don’t blame me if you lose your money, do own research etc.

As you say There are long term plays. Like the cruise industry will come back, so 80 percent drop is oversold on those with good balance sheets. Not for me. Now is not the time. As reality dawns the Indexes could go another 30 percent down yet.

I have to confess to have profited from corona expecting turmoil before that, But my motive was self preservation.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Perhaps.

I was wondering today, as I swished along on my Bianchi (like a fine race horse, they don't really need a rider) about the post Covid-19 recovery and what you thought.

One might argue that eg Carluccios was a basket case, the market won't miss a failing Italian restaurant brand and its demise is good news for surviving restaurants - every cloud has a silver lining.

And one might argue that businesses that, regrettably go bust but were sound businesses (if that isn't an oxymoron) will be snapped up post - Covid by bottom-feeders who can buy the businesses free of debt and restart on a sounder financial basis - and thrive.

On the other hand there is Venezuela - if you wreck the country then the country is wrecked. And there is also Brexit and if any form of Holy Grail trade deal is now achievable with the EC in turmoil.

Last edited by Oracle; 03-04-2020 at 01:02 PM.

I don't think it will be quite as bad as you portray, a vaccine may be only months away 4-6 at most, so the Israeli's say and as my stockbroker told me "the bottom grubbers are starting to show". There is of course plenty of money to be made at times like this and some will make it, possibly soon reflected in some share prices? I think the downturn may slow soon.
    But only time will tell and I haven't a clue.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Buy gold , Swiss francs and farmland.
    Swiss francs are less likely to hyperinflate.
    It’s hard to get deliveries of metal, demand is now so high,
    Whilst coin is less traceable and better on CGT, it is also high spread. So bullion in vault better but we cannot rule out a recall as happened in the US in 30s.

We are headed for the mother of recessions worse than thirties.
    A bubble has truly burst. Corona virus was just the pin, of a massively inflated central bank bubble. Stimulus no longer helps.

Take one small aspect: the number of cars bought on lease and the inevitable massive defaults and return of cars at half term. Most GM cars are bought only because of sub prime finance and endless years to pay. If I were a speculator I’d short the financiers of car finance.

or another: Southern Italy is close to civil unrest. They cannot lockdown and eat. Supermarkets are being raided. The banks are still on a knife edge. Italy was only ever one recession from default. EU as always useless.

Or another: The fed said today, there’s no need to make bank withdrawals. Why would they say it but for an alarming increase in withdrawals?

There are of course opportunities: So stock tips of the day

Speculation: gold miners. I’ve held poly metal since Oct
    Gold has a long way to go in my view.

Risk averse: businesses hurt that shouldn’t be,
    Coca Cola BDH . Coke drinking won’t change so neither will bottling, but the share price has, in the massive sell off, they have oversold. People looking for homes for money might do worse!

Don’t blame me if you lose your money, do own research etc.

As you say There are long term plays. Like the cruise industry will come back, so 80 percent drop is oversold on those with good balance sheets. Not for me. Now is not the time. As reality dawns the Indexes could go another 30 percent down yet.

I have to confess to have profited from corona expecting turmoil before that, But my motive was self preservation.
    Thanks.

Ambrose Evans-Pritchard in todays DT discusses options between a sharp, and soon, V recovery and a 1930s depression - depending on the forthcoming anti-body test results.

Interesting times.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

May I suggest that we keep this to "Todays permitted exercise!" and to discuss matters of economics have a new thread for those interested?
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Does pseudointellectual jousting count as exercise??

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    To be fair oracle was invited to submit his opinion and boy did he fill it! 😂