Page 35 of 300 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Bigfella laying down the law in the Permitted Exercise thread... post count of 999... all points towards undercover police operation targeting the FRA forum!!!

Quick, delete all posts!!
    No need for undercover police operations, over the years I have met and run with several Fellrunning police officers, also a couple of politicians, so you can rest assured they know where to monitor in fact there is a plethora of forums with folk proudly posting what they are doing.
    Last edited by JohnK; 08-04-2020 at 08:05 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    No need for undercover police operations, over the years I have met and run with several Fellrunning police officers, also a couple of politicians, so you can rest assured they know where to monitor in fact there is a plethora of forums with folk proudly posting what they are doing.
    And here's a bit of useless info, I was police V50 fell champion one year I did the race, god that was 17 years ago, one of my few highlights from a very average fell runner.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    And here's a bit of useless info, I was police V50 fell champion one year I did the race, god that was 17 years ago, one of my few highlights from a very average fell runner.
    I wasn`t going to blow your cover

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfella View Post
    Isn't the problem that if everyone went out for 2 - 3 hours every day then it would become crowded and maybe a more enforced lockdown imposed as I believe is the case in Spain. So we are ok providing the majority don't take advantage of the guidelines.
    It is the first ten minutes and the last ten minutes when I see a few people - after that, almost nobody. So enforcing a time limit of, say, an hour, would make virtually no difference. The number of local people here in Ambleside doing two hour plus runs is small, and the long days and the space is easily big enough to "swallow" them. It may be very different in towns/cities of course, and with cycling on some roads.

The other point to ruminate is that the longer you are out and the further you are away from home, the higher your chance of needing the emergency services becomes. Admittedly, this is not something that would cross our minds normally but in current circumstances you should weigh that up. Is it fair/right/morally acceptable to take on that risk?
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Devil's advocate sort of stuff
    Tommorow morning I'm riding the bike into town to pick up our prescriptions from the surgery, a 15 mile round trip.

Can I count that as shopping and go out again for my exercise in the afternoon, or not?

Off to bed now whilst you ponder .
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Devil's advocate sort of stuff
    Tommorow morning I'm riding the bike into town to pick up our prescriptions from the surgery, a 15 mile round trip.

Can I count that as shopping and go out again for my exercise in the afternoon, or not?

Off to bed now whilst you ponder .
    No worries with that enviromentally sound to boot, so win win

Today's PDE was a lovely evening 5 miles and 500 feet run in Lathkill Dale with my son. We arrived home just as my 9 pint polybox of Caskade from Whim Brewery was being delivered.

Put it at the back of the garage in the cool, to settle, and hopefully it will be spot on tomorrow evening.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    The other point to ruminate is that the longer you are out and the further you are away from home, the higher your chance of needing the emergency services becomes. Admittedly, this is not something that would cross our minds normally but in current circumstances you should weigh that up. Is it fair/right/morally acceptable to take on that risk?
    It is a good point and it is what has made me think twice about going out on my road bike before tonight. I was worried in case I had an accident or mechanical issue I couldn't sort. As you say, that would never be a consideration normally. Anyway, I went this evening, did 26 miles and it was absolutely glorious. Felt like a summers evening with the added bonus of very quiet roads. I will definitely be out on the bike again again in the early part of the Bank Holiday weekend when the weather is promised to be so good.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Balance of risks and common sense - most injuries needing outside help occur in the home. Nobody would ever ride a bike if the risk had to be reduced as much as possible. Whilst my usual run these days is about 2 hours 15 minutes, I am doubling back on myself a lot of the time and am never actually very far from home. Top of Loughrigg is hardly distant or extreme terrain. And it is mainly grass.
    Last edited by Mike T; 09-04-2020 at 06:32 AM.