Page 189 of 303 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189190191199239289 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,890 of 3024

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    11.09 miles, 3,193 feet, 4 hours 1 minute: Elterwater to Sergeant Man and back, taking in Silver how, Lang How, Swinescar Pike and Blea Rigg both ways. Dense persistent fog in the valleys - it was still present late afternoon - but above about 700 feet it was lovely and clear - mainly sunny, with some thin high clouds, and some a bit lower just catching the highest tops. A cool breeze from the west, no rain, terrain anything from damp to saturated and slippery. I saw about 20 walkers on the fells.

PS: Forgot to add that I saw a nice Brocken Spectre that photographed quite well. There was also a much bigger white circle around it which I had not noticed before - but my camera lens was not wide enough to capture it.
    Last edited by Mike T; 17-12-2021 at 07:22 AM.

Master
    10.69 miles, 4,072 feet, 3 hours 55 minutes: Traveller's Rest - Bracken Hause - Helm Crag - Gibson Knott - Calf Crag - Steel Fell - Steel End - Dunmail Raise - Seat Sandal - Traveller's Rest. Sunny with some thin high clouds well above the highest tops. Some of the valleys were rather foggy low down but it was nowhere near as extensive and persistent as yesterday. A cool breeze on the tops. Terrain anything from dry to saturated and slippery. I saw six walkers and four runners on the fells.

A perfect day for a winter BG. There were nine cars at Dunmail raise.

Master
    9.61 miles, 3,828 feet, 3 hours 32 minutes: Traveller's rest - Little Tongue - Grisedale Tarn - Helvellyn, ascending/descending next to the wall rather than the zig-zag steps - Seat Sandal - Traveller's Rest. Yet another spectacular inversion, with a completely clear blue sky above. A cool breeze from the south. Terrain anything from dry to saturated and slippery. Very little snow left, apart from on the wall above Red Tarn. I saw a couple of runners, and there were quite a few walkers about, as one would expect given the conditions.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Up into the clag, with neither map nor compass; but I was only going up Beacon Hill. The cloud base was at about 500 feet, which was higher than during yesterday's bike ride round Charnwood Forest. I quite like the atmosphere of being on the hill (even such a small hill) in the cloud.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Four of us lifting a 6x4ft garden shed over a 5ft wall onto a flatbed van. Conditions were foggy and we were getting distracted by the van drivers dog which was whining from the cab constantly. Good leg work dead-lifting the bugger to shoulder height, and excellent upper body workout shuffling to the wall and over. 10'/120kg for the day.

Master
    13.37 miles, 3,499 feet, 3 hours 54 minutes: Rothay Bridge - Miller Bridge - Low Sweden Bridge - up the Rock Step - Low Pike, with the wall on my left - Hight Pike, changing to the other side of the wall - Dove Crag - Scandale - Red Screes - Roundhill Farm - Ambleside. There was a heavy frost overnight, and where it was in the shade it lasted all day. Yet another inversion, with fog in some of the valleys and clear blue sky above. No wind, not even a gentle breeze. Terrain anything from hard and icy to dry and soft to wet and slippery. I had my microspikes with me but did not need them. Lots of walkers ascending Red Screes via Scandale. I saw three other runners. The snow drifts next to the walls are much smaller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Four of us lifting a 6x4ft garden shed over a 5ft wall onto a flatbed van. Conditions were foggy and we were getting distracted by the van drivers dog which was whining from the cab constantly. Good leg work dead-lifting the bugger to shoulder height, and excellent upper body workout shuffling to the wall and over. 10'/120kg for the day.

But what shoes were you wearing?

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    In that vein...
    Chopping up and shifting rounds of part of a fallen tree - up to about 18 inches in diameter. Good work for the quads and lower back.

Slightly off topic - but we don't yet have a "today's chainsaw" thread. I was trying out my new electric chainsaw after retiring my 10-year old petrol one that's always been a bit troublesome. Despite my initial reservations, I'm quite pleased with it. It's certainly less noisy which is a bonus and doesn't seem to lack power. Although it's a full-time job charging various batteries - they don't last long.

Master
    8.9 miles, 3,347 feet, 2 hours 56 minutes: around the Roman Ruins - Skelghyll Woods - Jenkin Crag - Wansfell Pike, including twice up/down the race route from/to the kissing gate. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 2,000 feet. No rain, a cool breeze from the south. Terrain mainly damp and slippery; a few crunchy spots from yesterday's frost. Lots of walkers on the steps.

2.5 hrs on Mr Brightside's favourite hill - Otley Chevin. From home to Menston, over a varied Chevin route to Bramhope and back via Staircase lane and Avenue De Hirondelles. Very slippery in parts; I arrived home very muddy after slipping over twice. Very few people about, but some young whipper snapper shot past me. Oh to be young again, still more Rombold's Stride training in the bag.