Page 82 of 303 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132182 ... LastLast

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

After the long run at the week end, just a short local 5 miles this morning. My club is looking at starting club runs again in a controlled fashion. Limited to groups of 6 and distanced. Risk assessments are still to be completed, but I don't have a problem with this and have offered to lead groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    I’ve just seen an old guy running, trainers, shorts, Ron Hill type rain jacket all topped off with a tweed flat cap, I was well impressed, he looked a treat
    This reminds me of the 2017 Peris race. There was a triathlon on at the same time. The place i stayed in Llanberis was full of triathletes, and when they found out i was not doing the triathlon but a fell race, i was basically treated like a 2nd class citizen by the other guests...

Come race morning, walking through town, the triathletes were absolutely pristine in their appearance, kit, etc. By comparison, the fellrunners looked like hobo's, huddled in the corner of the car park in the rain... i barely saw one without at least one hole or damaged item of clothing/kit! Still i know which group i prefer!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    This reminds me of the 2017 Peris race. There was a triathlon on at the same time. The place i stayed in Llanberis was full of triathletes, and when they found out i was not doing the triathlon but a fell race, i was basically treated like a 2nd class citizen by the other guests...

Come race morning, walking through town, the triathletes were absolutely pristine in their appearance, kit, etc. By comparison, the fellrunners looked like hobo's, huddled in the corner of the car park in the rain... i barely saw one without at least one hole or damaged item of clothing/kit! Still i know which group i prefer!
    There is something about triathlon which attracts a certain sort of person. If you've ever perused the Slowtwitch forums, it's just a different breed. I think part of it is to do with the money involved in the sport, the money spent on some of the bikes is obscene just for a few seconds off.

Master
    7.5 miles, 646 feet, 76 minutes, Drunken Duck/Bog Lane loop. Remains quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    There is something about triathlon which attracts a certain sort of person. If you've ever perused the Slowtwitch forums, it's just a different breed. I think part of it is to do with the money involved in the sport, the money spent on some of the bikes is obscene just for a few seconds off.
    My clubmate is a very experienced triathlete, has done many Ironmans, and represented GB at triathlon... he is completely down to earth and i keep telling him he would make a decent fell runner, he's got the attitude for it.

I guess he's the exception. And to be fair to him, he's fairly scathing about other triathletes...

I was at a fell race last autumn, talking to a notable member of this very forum, whose club had recently amalgamated with the local triathlon club... his description of his new-found triathlete clubmates was that they were all "complete w*****s"

We have a variety of disciplines at our club and there can occasionally be the odd clash of opinions at club night when it's a busy track...

All a bit silly really when we're all the same club... and even more-so when the summer track season comes round and our group inevitably has to fill in to help get a full track team out...
    Last edited by Travs; 08-06-2020 at 03:03 PM.

Master
    9.16 miles, 2,598 feet, 2 hours 11 minutes, Red Screes via Scandale. Nine others on the fell. Overcast - perfect running temperature. Very quiet going through town.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    Apparently triathletes are much more open to suggested changes in their running technique than runners who are not triathletes - presumably because they learn very quickly that technique in swimming is crucial, and the philosophy carries over. The small number of triathletes I know are a good bunch - though they do have, or have access to, pricey bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    9.16 miles, 2,598 feet, 2 hours 11 minutes, Red Screes via Scandale. Nine others on the fell. Overcast - perfect running temperature. Very quiet going through town.
    This is one of my favourite quick runs out from Ambleside.... up Scandale, turn right onto Red Screes, then down the ridge. It's got a bit of everything.

Banned
    12k around Ryburn Golf Course over looking Sowerby Bridge and Greetland.

Lovely walk round and the golf wasn't to bad either.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    I agree re the town being quiet. I was through last week visiting my Mother and had a short run. The last time I saw Ambleside like this was probably in the 1960s. (Apart from the many closed shops, the vast majority of which simply didn't exist back then).