Page 154 of 300 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154155156164204254 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,540 of 2997

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    9.14 miles, 3,474 feet, 2 hours 48 minutes: Wansfell Pike from 3 sides. Overcast with a few sunny spells and intermittent light drizzle; a refreshing breeze. Terrain mainly dry. Waterproof not used, though I did not get down to my vest. Lots on the main steps to the Pike, the other routes were quiet, in particular the ascent from the south east was deserted apart from me. The roads are busy.

Master
    11.21 miles, 3,582 feet, 3 hours 25 minutes: Loughrigg trails. I had hoped to go higher, but the forecast was very off-putting - and wrong. Initially sunshine and brief spells of light drizzle, later sunny and warm, no significant wind. Terrain damp with occasional slippery muddy patches. I was down to my vest in no time. Not that many about. Again I saw one of the Brathay 10 in 10 runners coming in - he looked shattered - much too warm for that sort of thing. One cuckoo heard today, right above my head.

Master
    9.71 miles, 3,610 feet, 3 hours 6 minutes: Wansfell Pike from 3 sides. More or less constant drizzle, but no wind and not cold. Waterproof top not used. Terrain damp/wet. Not many on the fell, but lots on the roads between the lake and town. One cuckoo heard.

Looking forward to venturing over your way for your club's Fairfield Horseshoe on saturday.....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Looking forward to venturing over your way for your club's Fairfield Horseshoe on saturday.....
    Such a shame you have to stick to the left hand side of the wall on the descent - the right hand side is so much more runnable. You can take the trod to the left of Heron Pike - if you can find it - and to the left of the unnamed peak just to the north of it - more obvious - but you have to go over Great Rigg as it is a checkpoint. There is a grassy trod just north of the main path when heading east on Fairfield itself, and another one just to the right of the main path on Hart Crag that avoids most of the rocks on that descent. But you probably know all this! Good luck on race day.

Master
    12.78 miles, 3,382 feet, 3 hours 26 minutes: Fairfield Horseshoe c/w. Sunshine and clouds, one light shower lasting about 20 minutes on the ascent, a cold wind on the very top. Terrain anything from dry to damp to wet to saturated, so slippery in places. Quite a few on the fell, including 3 fell runners. Town very busy.

The wooden stile below the Bad Step has a very dodgy - er - step - on the downhill side - it is held together by splinters, and will not last long. Take care! I will let the RO know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post

The wooden stile below the Bad Step has a very dodgy - er - step - on the downhill side - it is held together by splinters, and will not last long. Take care! I will let the RO know.
    Hmmm interesting, I never go the bad step way but hook left a bit earlier and take the lower trail. Presumably you are saying the bad step track is quicker Mike?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    Hmmm interesting, I never go the bad step way but hook left a bit earlier and take the lower trail. Presumably you are saying the bad step track is quicker Mike?
    The rocky track that goes around the Bad Step is now thoroughly unpleasant after some engineering work on the stream higher up and I now go around the Step, but then go up to join the path immediately below the Step - so much nicer and more runnable. In a race I would go down the Bad Step unless it was wet, in which case I would accept the unpleasantness of the route around it.

Master
    12.34 miles, 3,383 feet, 3 hours 22 minutes: Fairfield Horseshoe c/w, keeping to the left of the wall on the descent. Sunshine and clouds, no precipitation nor significant wind, terrain rather drier than yesterday. Not many on the fell, though I did see half a dozen fell runners going the other way. Town very busy; cars bumper to bumper.

Whilst there are some good runnable sections on this side, lower down it becomes rather "fussy" and it is difficult to move fast safely. But both sides are still excellent fell running.

Master
    6.46 miles, 2,897 feet, 2 hours 6 minutes: Wansfell Pike, including once up and twice down the race route to the kissing gate. Light to moderate rain throughout, and a very strong wind on top. I had my waterproofs and gloves on throughout, with my hood up. Terrain wet; saturated and slippery in places. Eight seen on the fell.