Page 11 of 300 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    12 mile, 1000ft, 3:35 walk today. The quietest route I've found yet. Maybe the colder temperature put some off.

If any of you have done the old Tockholes Gala race, you'll know the last little climb out of Roddlesworth up a field.
    So we passed through the gate to enter the field, walked up the 200 yards or so to the swing gate and it had a cable tie securing it, so hopped over the low bit at the side, walked the 20 yards across open paddock to the gate and which was chained. Hopped over as it would have been a bit of a detour back.
    On the opposite side of the gate we saw a sign asking us not to use this section of path as a resident in the farmhouse 20m away from the path is in an "at risk" category.

Had they put a sign at the other side at the exit of the woods to properly block of the section, we could have taken a wider loop round. It seems odd only to put a sign at one end of the section.

I won't try that way again now I know of course.
    9.43 miles, 2,890 ft, 2.22 - over/around Loughrigg, all on safe paths at a steady jog or walking. Several kissing gates, two stiles, and some gates with latches - all manageable without touching with my hands/gloves. No signs yet; no gates tied closed, nor tied open for that matter. Once off the roads virtually no people at all. 2 metre rule was easy to stick to, though ideally it is more than that - and if anybody coughed/sneezed/spat I would be 4 minute miling out of there.

A cool and breezy 25 miles and 2'000ft mainly on B and C class roads. Saw 4 people walking, 2 fellow cyclist's and about 20 tractors either muck spreading, chain harrowing or ploughing.

A few Curlew,Lapwing and also a solitary Hare.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    Cumbria Police are telling people that travelling in a car to exercise away from home is not acceptable, surely better that we follow the guidance so that we can do limited things than being totally locked down and unable to do anything
    One local media report referred to Cumbria Police mentioning 'your one hour of exercise a day'. Where on earth did that suggestion come from? I've never heard it mentioned anywhere else in this official guidance. And to be fair I've never heard the usual police spokesperson (who happens to be a serious fellrunner) mention it in any of his interviews either so maybe that was just some media stirring.

Can’t find anything on Cumbria Police Twitter about a 1 hour a day limit, if the local news has come out of the Newsquest Cumbria stable I’d take it with a massive pinch of salt

Master
    I think some countries have a one hour limit - and perhaps skim readers have been mixing up one type of exercise with one hour. I have been keeping an eye out for an official time limit here - not seen one yet. Gove said do what you normally do - as long as it is one type, once, and local.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Gove said do what you normally do - as long as it is one type, once, and local.
    One would expect that response from Gove who is known for his keen intelligence, breadth of vision and that he does take exercise.

His work probably leaves him little time to drive to the country side and play with a drone.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Derbyshire seem to be at the forefront of taking the Government guidance and seeking to tighten it.

Derbyshire Roads Policing Unit
    @DerbyshireRPU
    "Essential travel and local exercise does not include driving to locations and going for walks. It does not include lycra-clad leisure cycling on the now quieter roads. It isn't just about preventing the spread of the virus but also reducing the burden on essential services."

@GMPDenton
    GMP Denton/Droylsden
    Posted about a 1 hour limit on 27/3 but it has been taken down after a lot of challenges from public, groups and even some prominent journalists.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Michael Gove, whilst just asked by Andrew Marr about the amount of time one can be out doing daily exercise, has said it can depend on the level of peoples fitness.

Mr Gove, at times, can be very sensible.

PS. Andrew Marr has also been asking, as usual, some stupid questions.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post

Derbyshire Roads Policing Unit
    ". . . It does not include lycra-clad leisure cycling on the now quieter roads. . ."
    Phew! I'm OK then. When I do my leisure cycling, I'm usually dressed more like you see in those black-and-white photos of 1950's cyclists.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

[QUOTE=Llani Boy;659013]Michael Gove, whilst just asked by Andrew Marr about the amount of time one can be out doing daily exercise, has said it can depend on the level of peoples fitness.

Mr Gove, at times, can be very sensible.

/QUOTE]

That's a comfort. I'm about to do 30 miles on my road bike - but I do plan to be back within the hour.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 29-03-2020 at 11:11 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".