Page 157 of 300 FirstFirst ... 57107147155156157158159167207257 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,570 of 2998

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    8.66 miles, 3,877 feet, 2 hours 49 minutes: Wansfell Pike, with twice up and three times down the race route to the kissing gate. Sunshine and clouds, with widespread thin high cloud so the sun was not strong - perfect vest weather. No wind. Terrain dry and soft. Lots on the steps and at the top.

Master
    10.31 miles, 3,133 feet, 2 hours 54 minutes: Loughrigg trails. Mainly overcast, with patches of sunshine visible on the fells - great for photos. Cloud base about 2,000 feet. No wind or rain, ideal vest weather. Terrain dry, soft. Not many on the fell.

Mike i notice you only do a handful of routes, but very often...

Is that because they are simply your personal favourites, or do you prefer just to only run straight from the door rather than drive/cycle a little further?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Mike i notice you only do a handful of routes, but very often...

Is that because they are simply your personal favourites, or do you prefer just to only run straight from the door rather than drive/cycle a little further?
    I got into the habit of running from my door when we were in tight lockdown. They are great routes, and I am still finding interesting variations. I have only driven twice since March last year - to Kendal for vaccinations. I am now getting itchy feet - my second vaccination was 4 weeks ago so I feel reasonably safe. I would have run with the club today for the first time in 15 months - from Tilberthwatie - except that my partner "stole" the car!

I must admit, while i adore (and get huge benefit) from the intensity of the regular track and road sessions with my "home" club...

I'm loving the variety of travelling to different fell areas with Eden (sessions which are equally as punishing with the "quick" group)

Master
    I must admit, while i adore (and get huge benefit) from the intensity of the regular track and road sessions with my "home" club...

I'm loving the variety of travelling to different fell areas with Eden (sessions which are equally as punishing with the "quick" group)
    It is fun running with a group of similar ability from different bases. I used to run with AAC's oldies group - mainly retired, but some younger participants - Tuesday/Fridays 10 am. I did try adding in a Tuesday evening "slow group" run with the youngsters but I found it knackering - I was just running on empty.

Master
    10.4 miles, 3,803 feet, 3 hours 9 minutes: Wansfell Pike from 3 sides, and along the ridge to Wansfell true top.
    Overcast, with light drizzle at first, but this soon stopped, so I was quickly down to my vest. No wind. Terrain damp, but only the rocks/steps were slippery. Lots on the steps to/from the top of the Pike. The bracken has already obscured some paths.

Master
    10.68 miles, 3,107 feet, 2 hours 53 minutes: Loughrigg trails. Overcast, no sunshine at all so no hint of the partial eclipse; intermittent very light drizzle, so light I just had my vest on throughout. No wind. Terrain damp but not slippery. Lots of cuckoo calls. Not that many about. I had the good fortune of bumping into Darren Fishwick on the top of Loughrigg.

Mike i have a local knowledge question for you...

Red Screes to Fairfield... after you drop into Scandale Pass,, the most obvious route seems to follow the wall/fence under Little Hart Crag and round onto Dove Crag.

But another path turns off which i spotted, near to Scandale Tarn... on looking at the map it would seem to be a more direct route onto the ridge, via the huge cairn on Scandale Head.

Much difference in it? I'd have thought the wall route probably still a little quicker, but thought i'd ask the expert.

Master
    Mike i have a local knowledge question for you...

Red Screes to Fairfield... after you drop into Scandale Pass,, the most obvious route seems to follow the wall/fence under Little Hart Crag and round onto Dove Crag.

But another path turns off which i spotted, near to Scandale Tarn... on looking at the map it would seem to be a more direct route onto the ridge, via the huge cairn on Scandale Head.

Much difference in it? I'd have thought the wall route probably still a little quicker, but thought i'd ask the expert.
    I think following the wall and then the old metal fence posts is the quickest way onto Dove Crag, but the nicest is the path that goes left away from the fence post path shortly after Scandale Tarn and heads up past the High Bakestone's cairn. So time vs enjoyment. When I did that leg of the Hodgson people mainly followed the fence posts, but they did cut a couple of corners. In mist definitely follow the fence posts unless you really know what you are doing - a couple of years ago I ended up on High Harstop Dodd - very embarrassing.