Page 41 of 303 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    I have not heard of evidence of flitting, nor have I defended it, So that is a straw man.
    Much of the working population of London commutes from significant distance, or they get a small weekly bed sit.
    They keep their sanity by going home at weekends. It is easy to judge others on a life you don’t know.

Many ( sensibly) wanted to live out the crisis in the country where they have legitimate reason to be, and are being turned away,or facing open hostility, and in some cases worse. It is wrong,

I don’t have a uk second home, and I can’t speak for the rights and wrongs of that, I do get The argument, and byelaws can help address it,

However I do think those who do own them, have just as much right to live in them as the resident next door.
    Yep it’ll be great in twenty years time when Giles from the city surveys his little flock of hobby Herdwicks in Waaasdale (deliberate misspelling as Giles won’t be able to pronounce it properly) yep, the Lake District will be lovely.

Despite the various rights and wrongs of the principles of it... We live in a country (and are lucky to do so) where everyone can pick and chose where they live... Providing they can afford it, and the availability is there...

It may well be a contentious issue, and it's obviously very complex... But going down the route of telling people they can only live close to their birthplace is not an avenue we want to be going down...

I'll say without shame that I will certainly be moving somewhere far closer to the hills when my time to retire comes... Of course I'll be aware of local concerns, and won't for example be buying up property in Wasdale or Borrowdale Valley... But we all have the right to live where we like and long may that continue...

I’m not bothered particularly about people who move to the Lake District, it’s more the second home owners buying up property which winds me up and obviously the monstrosity that is millionaires mile on the way into Windermere.

also happening in the cities too... vast swathes of new developments being bulk-bought by Chinese property investors and then left empty.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    Yep it’ll be great in twenty years time when Giles from the city surveys his little flock of hobby Herdwicks in Waaasdale (deliberate misspelling as Giles won’t be able to pronounce it properly) yep, the Lake District will be lovely.
    Meanwhile in the real world is a messy compromise - late great Steve Cliffe ( forced by losing his job in the Midlands),then worked in the city, commuted there from rugby, had a weekend home in the lakes. The week was surviving. Weekend was living. Would you deny him that?

One of the frequent contributors here is a week commuter to London from country.
    Your stereotypes are not helpful.
    Last edited by Oracle; 10-04-2020 at 02:57 PM.

I’m past arguing with you Oracle, stay at home 953 today, you have no reason to try to bend the rules.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    I’m past arguing with you Oracle, stay at home 953 today, you have no reason to try to bend the rules.
    But then I’ve stated I am not breaking rules, so why ask again?
    Examples from our own community prove your stereotype on second home owners is wide of the mark.
    Would you have preferred Steve did not run on the fells because of being forced to work in the city?

Fair questions.

A steady 7 miles early doors, lovely morning.

Master
    Just over 7 miles around the Roman ruins - gosh it's perfect weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Just over 7 miles around the Roman ruins - gosh it's perfect weather.
    The weather makes it hard, I would be out twice a day at present under normal circumstances