Page 131 of 300 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141181231 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,310 of 2998

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

10.5k round the fields and woods. All the big puddles have finally drained but the ground is frozen solid. Legs felt tired, head was a bit mushed from working online/dealing with a classroom issue. Nice to be out though.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Extracting a big parsnip from the ground in my garden. Did I expend more calories digging it out than I will gain from eating it?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    7.3 miles, 3,694 feet, 2 hours 46 minutes: Wansfell Pike, with 3 times up/down the race route to the kissing gate. Overcast and misty with a partial inversion. No wind, no rain, not cold. Terrain still partially frozen; some ice still present on the steps, but safe to go up in normal shoes - microspikes almost essential descending this steep slope. 5 others seen on the fell, 1 a fellow runner.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Extracting a big parsnip from the ground in my garden. Did I expend more calories digging it out than I will gain from eating it?
    Mine have been a bit hit and miss this year. Some massive, some small. I lifted the last bucket load last week before the ground froze again. It was definitely a good workout. They are all now peeled, portioned, blanched and frozen. Should last us until Easter.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Mine have been a bit hit and miss this year. Some massive, some small. I lifted the last bucket load last week before the ground froze again. It was definitely a good workout. They are all now peeled, portioned, blanched and frozen. Should last us until Easter.
    How long do you blanche them for? Whenever I've frozen parsnips they have gone mushy when boiled.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    9.82 miles, 2,844 feet, 2 hours 45 minutes: Loughrigg trails. Overcast and misty, visibility down to about a quarter of a mile. Constant light drizzle; no wind, not cold. No ice nor snow seen, either underfoot or elsewhere. Terrain saturated and slippery. Only saw 2 others on the fell, and 4 on the roads.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    How long do you blanche them for? Whenever I've frozen parsnips they have gone mushy when boiled.
    They only need a minute on the boil so they are still firm. Then straight into cold water to stop them cooking. Blanching stops them oxidizing and going brown.

Master
    7.88 miles, 3,009 feet, 2 hours 35 minutes: Wansfell Pike, with twice up/down the race route to the kissing gate. All the snow and ice on the Pike has gone, though there are still some small patches of snow visible higher up elsewhere. Sodden and slippery terrain. Windy, but not cold. Quite a few about, both on the fell and on the pavements.

Master
    11.06 miles, 3,766 feet, 3 hours 8 minutes: Loughrigg trails. Unpleasantly strong cold wind at times. Terrain surprisingly dry - crunchy in places - and some very thin ice on some puddles - like cellophane. No rain/snow/sleet, though I could see some in the distance. Microspikes not needed. Saw about a dozen others whilst out.
    I had planned to go higher but that wind put me off.

Lovely run out from Otley today Up the Washburn to run the Round Hill Fell race route and then home via Asquith. Out for 5 hrs and snow on top.