Page 147 of 300 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149157197247 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,470 of 2998

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Two fantastic days in Mid-Wales.

Yesterday a rectangularish walk with son and dogs from Eisteddfa Gurig to Plynlimon and Arwystli. The air was so clear that the views were the best I have had. From Plynlimon summit, to the north Cadair Idris, The Arenigs, The Arans and Berwyns and to the south The Preseli Hills, Camarthen Fans, Brecon Beacons and Black Mountains all could be clearly seen. To the northwest Bardsey Island and southwest to Cardigan and possibly Strumble Head. Not to be left out the Briedden Hills could be seen to the east.

From Arwystli we could see Snowdon and The Rhinogs which had been hidden behind Cadair Idris from Plynlimon.

Only 8 miles and 1,550 feet but every step a glorious one.

Today a lovely walk to Glaslyn and Bugeilyn where we spoke to a fisherman who said that the black finned trout in Bugeilyn were small but the best fighters. From what I could see the solitary Cormorant was catching more than he was!
    Again spectacular views, especially from the TP at Foel Fadian, over to Cadair Idris, The Arans and back to Plynlimon.

7 and a half miles and just 754 feet. Only 5 people seen yesterday and 4 today. Hopefully it stays that quiet.

Having said that, I suspect that this weekend the Welsh coast and Snowdonia will be snided by the amount of traffic we met on our way out of Wales, proper summer Bank Holiday levels. The pictures on tomorrows news reports are not going to look good.

Covid numbers back up by the middle of May?
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 16-04-2021 at 11:20 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Two fantastic days in Mid-Wales.

Yesterday a rectangularish walk with son and dogs from Eisteddfa Gurig to Plynlimon and Arwystli. The air was so clear that the views were the best I have had. From Plynlimon summit, to the north Cadair Idris, The Arenigs, The Arans and Berwyns and to the south The Preseli Hills, Camarthen Fans, Brecon Beacons and Black Mountains all could be clearly seen. To the northwest Bardsey Island and southwest to Cardigan and possibly Strumble Head. Not to be left out the Briedden Hills could be seen to the east.

From Arwystli we could see Snowdon and The Rhinogs which had been hidden behind Cadair Idris from Plynlimon.

Only 8 miles and 1,550 feet but every step a glorious one.

Today a lovely walk to Glaslyn and Bugeilyn where we spoke to a fisherman who said that the black finned trout in Bugeilyn were small but the best fighters. From what I could see the solitary Cormorant was catching more than he was!
    Again spectacular views, especially from the TP at Foel Fadian, over to Cadair Idris, The Arans and back to Plynlimon.

7 and a half miles and just 754 feet. Only 5 people seen yesterday and 4 today. Hopefully it stays that quiet.

Having said that, I suspect that this weekend the Welsh coast and Snowdonia will be snided by the amount of traffic we met on our way out of Wales, proper summer Bank Holiday levels. The pictures on tomorrows news reports are not going to look good.

Covid numbers back up by the middle of May?
    Sounds great, I must get back there sometime as had many a happy run and walk over those hills, much underated in favour of the North and South mountains. Fished and camped at Bugeilyn a few times as I would walk over from Hafren with the tent etc. my fishing club still has a ticket to fish there - perhaps I should make a plan for old times sake! Been very, very clear the last few days, feel like I could reach out and touch the Beacons from here with no haze at all.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Sounds great, I must get back there sometime as had many a happy run and walk over those hills, much underated in favour of the North and South mountains. Fished and camped at Bugeilyn a few times as I would walk over from Hafren with the tent etc. my fishing club still has a ticket to fish there - perhaps I should make a plan for old times sake! Been very, very clear the last few days, feel like I could reach out and touch the Beacons from here with no haze at all.
    A great place to go for a bit of solitude with only few paths and trods. As you will know Moley, when the wind, rain and clag come in if you find yourself off the paths it will give anywhere a run for its money in terms of toughness to get about.

Master
    9.68 miles, 3,461 feet, 3 hours 8 minutes: Wansfell Pike from 3 sides. The perfect weather and underfoot conditions persist. The tourist paths are very busy, as are the P+D car parks.

I've been in the Lakes today and can also confirm it was absolutely perfect weather.

Unfortunately didn't have time for any sustained exercise, just a stroll round the village... Gorgeous views over the back to Cross Fell, and was rather surprised by a lovely view over the front to Blencathra and the Mell Fells, which I hadn't spotted previously.

Also a stunning view from the M6 near Shap, over to Kidsty Pike, High Street and the ridge running north.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I've been in the Lakes today and can also confirm it was absolutely perfect weather.

Unfortunately didn't have time for any sustained exercise, just a stroll round the village... Gorgeous views over the back to Cross Fell, and was rather surprised by a lovely view over the front to Blencathra and the Mell Fells, which I hadn't spotted previously.

Also a stunning view from the M6 near Shap, over to Kidsty Pike, High Street and the ridge running north.
    I love Shap, me. Decent chippy and also has the New Balance outlet shop on the high street.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Favourite run of mine was from Hafren car park, up to scource of Severn and straight on down to
    cross the Hengwmm, down the valley on the track and then back over to climb Pumlumon, Arwystyli ridge and make way back to car.
    Took some beating on a good day and to be avoided on a bad day!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Favourite run of mine was from Hafren car park, up to scource of Severn and straight on down to
    cross the Hengwmm, down the valley on the track and then back over to climb Pumlumon, Arwystyli ridge and make way back to car.
    Took some beating on a good day and to be avoided on a bad day!
    I bet!

I'm off to Llani again next weekend and if the weather holds might give it a go although walk/jogging. Can I pick your brains?

How far down Hengwm do you go? I am looking at either the path up Nant y Llyn to Llyn Lygad Rheidol then steeply up to Pumlumon Fach or taking the ridge up to Pumlumon Fach directly from the first marked stream that joins Nant y Llyn. With it being relatively dry at the moment the best progress might be made by the first option.

What do you reckon?

I used to cross the little bridge where Hengwm and Hyddgen joined, then carry on down the track to Maesnant cottage, somewhere around the gate there I took a little trod up beside the Maesnant stream (probably dry) that worked it's way to about the 668 spot height above Llyn Rheidol and then on up to the trig.
    Haven't been on it for 10 years + but sure the track (sheep trod) would be there as used by walkers from the reservoir side. Possibly still!

Thanks. I'll let you know!