Page 211 of 303 FirstFirst ... 111161201209210211212213221261 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,110 of 3030

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    11.07 miles, 3,009 feet, 3 hours 34 minutes: Wansfell Pike from two sides, taking in the Roman Ruins, Borrans Park, Stagshaw Gardens, along the ridge to the true top, and the race descent. Overcast, with the cloud base above the high tops; hazy in the distance. A moderately strong wind from the south. No rain, though several times it looked and felt like it was about to start; terrain dry with good grip. Not many walkers about - I suspect the apparent threat of rain kept them away; a couple of fellow runners seen.

Again I did drills and then 2 miles worth of strides at 20 to the mile in Borrans Park.

Master
    8.69 miles, 3,098 feet, 2 hours 46 minutes: Loughrigg trails from Rothay Bridge, ascending via the Clappersgate zig-zags, descending via the track past the old golf club to Miller Bridge, and taking in Todd and Ivy Crags, Lily Tarn, Loughrigg top, and the road down to High Close. Sunshine and clouds, mainly the latter; initially the cloud base was at about 1,500 feet, later it was 1,000 feet or so higher. Light/moderate rain at fist, but it soon stopped. A moderate wind from the south. Terrain anything from dry to damp to wet; good grip except on smooth rocks. Not many walkers about; no other runners seen.

One cuckoo heard.

Master
    9.55 miles, 3,163 feet, 3 hours 8 minutes: Wansfell Pike from three sides, ascending via the Roman Ruins, Borrans Park, the ramps/steps behind the Waterhead bus stop, Stagshaw gardens, the Champion Tree Trail and Kelsick Scar; the final descent being via the race route; and taking in the true top. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 2,500 feet; the occasional brief episode of drizzle/light rain, and some brief periods of sunshine. A moderate breeze from the south. Terrain anything from dry to saturated - predictably slippery in places. Not many walkers about. Another one cuckoo outing.

Master
    8.14 miles, 3,817 feet, 3 hours 29 minutes: Travellers Rest - Winterseeds - Grisedale Hause - c/w around the Tarn - steep ascent between Cofa Pike and Fairfield - Fairfield - Grisedale Hause - Seat Sandal - south ridge - Winterseeds - Travellers Rest. Overcast, with the cloud base above the high tops; occasional brief periods of sunshine. A cold strong wind from the west. A few drops of rain at times. Terrain anything from dry to saturated - grip mainly good. Not many walkers about - no other runners seen.

I had not done that route to the right of Cofa Pike before - it is very steep in places.

I was again swooped above Winterseeds - this time I saw it - my cap was on backwards - I think it is a hawk - it swooped a couple of times whilst I was looking at it, though it did not come that close, and then it was silent. It does make me wonder how close it was when I could hear it.

Mike i saw on facebook that Kendal AC are organising a midweek race from winterseeds....

Given the distance (4.6 miles) i assume its a straight up-and-down Seat Sandal.... the name of the race (Seat Sandal) is also a potential clue!

Master
    14.83 miles, 3,804 feet, 4 hours 38 minutes: Rothay Bridge - Roman Ruins - Borrans Park - Clappersgate - Fishgarths Wood - Todd Crag - Lily Tarn - Ivy Crag - Loughrigg top - the road at High Close - Loughrigg top - Fishgarths Wood - Clappersgate - Rothay Bridge. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 2,500 feet. No sunshine, no rain. A strong wind from the west. Terrain mainly dry with good grip. Quite a few walkers about, and many of them were sitting on the paths, despite the copious amounts of space available.

Drills and strides done in Borrans Park - 2 miles worth of strides at about 18 to the mile.

Coming back through Clappersgate I saw 2 of the Brathay "10 in 10" runners - respect.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Mike i saw on facebook that Kendal AC are organising a midweek race from winterseeds....

Given the distance (4.6 miles) i assume its a straight up-and-down Seat Sandal.... the name of the race (Seat Sandal) is also a potential clue!
    Hopefully it goes up Tongue Gill and comes down the south ridge - ascending the south ridge is tedious in the extreme, despite being a brilliant descent.

Master
    12.51 miles, 4,172 feet, 4 hours 44 minutes: Travellers Rest - Greenburn Bottom - Calf Crag - Sergeant Man - Calf Crag - Steel Fell - Steel End - Dunmail Raise - Steel Fell - Travellers Rest. Sunny, with some clouds above the high tops. A refreshing breeze from the south. No rain. Terrain mainly dry with good grip. Lots of walkers about; about 8 fellow runners seen.

Master
    10.31 miles, 4,686 feet, 4 hours 11 minutes: Travellers Rest - Winterseeds - Little Tongue - Grisedale Hause - Seat Sandal - Dunmail Raise - Raise Beck - Grisedale Hause - Fairfield - Heron Pike - Greenhead Gill (direct - not via Alcock Tarn) - Travellers Rest. Sunshine and high clouds, a strong wind from the south, no rain. Terrain dry with good grip. Quite a few walkers about.

I saw he first 100 or so of the Fairfield Horseshoe runners coming over Heron Pike. They were all taking the 2nd trod to the left of the two Heron Pike tops, but I did not see any take the first. The leading chap - way out in front - was from Keswick.

I was again swooped going through Winterseeds.

Master
    9.01 miles, 2,484 feet, 2 hours 52 minutes: Rothay Bridge - Roman Ruins - Borrans Park - Stagshaw Gardens - the Champion Tree Trail - Kelsick Scar - Wansfell Pike - along the ridge to the true top and back - Bluehill Wood - Ambleside. Overcast, with the cloud base as low as 600 feet in places; constant drizzle/light rain apart from the first 15 minutes. Terrain wet/saturated and slippery, especially the rocks. No significant wind; not cold. Nobody else seen on the fell.

One cuckoo heard.