Page 15 of 303 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Rest day, beans, eggs and brown sauce on toast, took the hound for a walk, showered and plucked the hairs out of my ears which was a more energetic task than it sounds.

Banned
    You right Dale Town.
    It's the posting it on public domain that makes them simple.

Banned
    Meanwhile a man is being prosecuted by Cheshire police, in warrington for walking his dog in his own field because he was 5 minutes from home.

Lancashire police have the record for prosecuting motorists for unnecessary journeys. Over a hundred.

Sadly in ethnic communities in Peterborough, gatherings carry on.

Someone needs to challenge this on unlawful arrest.

Enjoy it whilst you can Witton, and whilst your luck holds out.

Just 3 miles for me across fields. I discovered suspicious trees down, parallel to each other, completely across the path and then some,. Suspiciously like trying to block a path.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    9 and a bit miles, just under 3 hours, 1000ft walking with Mrs WP again.

The plan is now walk every day for 2-4 hours and get in to the surrounding hills where it is incredibly quiet.
    If Mrs WP doesn't fancy any given day I'll have a run.
    It will be a bit repetitive as I'm sticking to quieter routes either north/west or south/west but can overlap, do the opposite way around, and add in some slight tweaks here and there.

That's assuming they don't start closing down any more options than they have already this last 24 hours.

Overall, as long as we come through this period, I should be a little fitter and shouldn't carry any niggles.
    Last edited by Oracle; 30-03-2020 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Meanwhile a man is being prosecuted by Cheshire police, in warrington for walking his dog in his own field because he was 5 minutes from home.
    surely he'll plead not guilty and win, or the CPS will drop the case.

Either way it sounds barking mad.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Or a case of woof justice

Having thought about it some more I think there are three key points about the exercise issue:-
    1. The 'letter of the law' - you are allowed out to exercise once a day. Straightforward enough.
    2. The intention, or 'spirit' of the law - to reduce the spread of the virus. I can't see anybody disagreeing with that much either.
    3. The implications on the NHS or other services if through our incompetence or simply misfortune we end up needing their assistance.

Bearing all that in mind, apart from the fact that to some degree at least, increased duration equals increased risk (albeit probably slight, provided we are careful, stay local (ie run from home) and make sensible decisions) nothing actually suggests that longer duration training is wrong, and it's certainly not illegal as far as I can see.
    I don't just train for races. I train to be out in the hills, and if there were no fell races ever I would still want to run on the fells for the sake of that alone. For all of the above reasons I intend to carry on running on my local hills - I won't be driving anywhere to do it, and I won't be with my usual group of friends, but I will carry on within both the letter and spirit of the current legislation.
    Last edited by Mark G; 31-03-2020 at 09:54 AM.

On the footpaths behind my house it is easy enough to adhere to the 2 metre rule. What is more problematic is touching gates, stiles, etc. They say wash your hands, but it is impossible to think my hands would not touch my face during the run, before I have a chance to wash them. I don't really understand that risk.

Banned
    Rubber gloves are the solution Dr Pat.

Banned
    Three issues.

Once a day is not “the letter of the law”. Read section 6
    A criminal prosecution barrister on twitter has said clearly that the police will be thrown out of court when they pursue it, ( he’s the one they will ask to prosecute) and that if that is what government had wanted they could have said it in the instrument. They didn’t, so it’s not the law in letter or spirit. All the police are doing is over stretching over stretched courts.
    That guidance has no legal standing.

Neither is a ban on driving to it. Ditto, and people who are able to run on hills from home are failing to consider the reality of others situations. To get to anything resembling a hill or even off road is a 5 minute drive for many that will reduce chance of infection over running on pavements with others.

Cheshire police have summonsed a man for going less than 5 minutes to his own field to exercise a dog!!! That’s not the letter of the law. That’s police making unnecessary journeys to summons!

I also notice you play the NHS card, whilst continuing to run on local hills, so potentially creating extra work for them, despite the fact the locals are using the load on mountain rescue as a reason for others not to come.
    They can’t have it both ways.

I’m not questioning what you do. Good luck to you, take advantage! Only the rhetoric you use to justify it.

But as I said - obeying common sense measures and guidance is no issue to me. But that’s common sense that says no disease spread benefit is gained by stopping people driving a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    Having thought about it some more I think there are three key points about the exercise issue:-
    1. The 'letter of the law' - you are allowed out to exercise once a day. Straightforward enough.
    2. The intention, or 'spirit' of the law - to reduce the spread of the virus. I can't see anybody disagreeing with that much either.
    3. The implications on the NHS or other services if through our incompetence or simply misfortune we end up needing their assistance.

Bearing all that in mind, apart from the fact that to some degree at least, increased duration equals increased risk (albeit probably slight, provided we are careful, stay local (ie run from home) and make sensible decisions) nothing actually suggests that longer duration training is wrong, and it's certainly not illegal as far as I can see.
    I don't just train for races. I train to be out in the hills, and if there were no fell races ever I would still want to run on the fells for the sake of that alone. For all of the above reasons I intend to carry on running on my local hills - I won't be driving anywhere to do it, and I won't be with my usual group of friends, but I will carry on within both the letter and spirit of the current legislation.
    Last edited by Oracle; 31-03-2020 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Rubber gloves are the solution Dr Pat.
    How does that help? The virus can live perfectly happy on the gloves for the duration of the run as on the hands, it would make zero difference.