Page 20 of 300 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

On the issue of 'risking' Mountain Rescue. It's easy to be complacent but I suppose the reality is that almost any run or exercise anywhere could lead to some sort of injury. Stating the obvious, at the moment it's not a good time to be needing an ambulance or attending A and E. MR is different again as it involves volunteers turning out and potentially exposing themselves to risk on your behalf. The current actual risk to them from this virus is unknown. As I've said in the post above, I chose a low level route today which is comparatively'safe' instead of heading for the tops. Was this irresponsible? I argue that it wasn't. I never, ever base my decisions on what I do on the hill on the assumption or expectation that someone will rescue me if I get in to difficulties. My first thought is to avoid the need by being careful about route choice, kit, weather, etc. If I did encounter problems, as I have occasionally over the years my approach is 'How do I get myself out of this?' not 'how do I get MR?' and that's always worked for me in the past in over 50 years of running and walking about the lakes and other areas and over 30 years fell running. Speaking as someone who has spent more than a few years in MR myself, in various capacities I'm aware that many call outs in 'normal' times expose team members to a degree of risk from a variety of sources - how much that degree of risk is increased in the current circumstances is unknown. But I think that by being careful, reasonable and sensible, by making sound decisions on the hill and by being as self reliant as we possibly can it's possible to reduce the risk to them to what I hope is an acceptable level - and I will respect the current wishes of the teams in making my route choices and decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Do you support a fine for me?
    A gagging order will be sufficient.
    Even I don't know who The Grump is.
    I. Bickerstaff

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrump View Post
    A gagging order will be sufficient.
    Have a Like! Is anyone else sick of Oracle monopolising threads?

To be fair, he only really turns up on the General threads, and then only on a few subjects...

At the risk of launching a love-in; I don't have a problem with Oracle. Every mill needs some grist.

Although I like TheGrump even more!
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 01-04-2020 at 05:39 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Although I like TheGrump even more!
    Narcissist
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

7.25 miles, 965ft, 2:15 on the Beamers Trail section of the Witton Weavers Way.

On a side issue, there is a better tone of late on these threads even when we are disagreeing. Quite refreshing and hopefully it will continue.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    To be fair, he only really turns up on the General threads, and then only on a few subjects...
    Has he ever done a Fell Race?

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Narcissist
    In Greek mythology, Narcissus was a hunter from Thespiae in Boeotia who was known for his beauty. According to Tzetzes, he was a Laconian hunter who loved everything beautiful.

So thank you!

"...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Narcissist
    Do you mean tautology?