Page 174 of 299 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176184224274 ... LastLast
Results 1,731 to 1,740 of 2986

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    11.26 miles, 3,243 feet, 3 hours 39 minutes: Traveller's Rest - Far Easedale - Easedale Tarn - Sergeant Man - High Raise - Calf Crag - Steel Fell - Traveller's Rest. Sunshine and clouds, no rain, a cold wind at times, terrain mainly dry. I did not come across many walkers on the fells, though the car parks and town are very busy.

I had not done this route before, but will certainly do it again.

Master
    12.04 miles, 3,824 feet, 3 hours 53 minutes: Traveller's Rest - Grasmere - Far Easedale - Easedale Tarn - Codale Tarn - Sergeant Man - High Raise - Crag Fell - Steel Fell - Traveller's Rest. So similar to yesterday, but starting off going into Grasmere, then on the other side of Easedale Tarn, and taking in Codale Tarn. Overcast, the cloud base was at about 2,000 feet, a very strong wind on top, no rain, terrain wet/damp and slippery. Not cold, despite the wind. I only saw 10 others on the fells. Town remains busy.

I had not been on the Codale Tarn path before - it is all a bit vague once past the tarn, until Sergeant Man comes into view. Codale Tarn looks more interesting from a distance rather than close up.

The LDMT went around that area a few years back (2018?). I recall running along the side of Coledale Tarn at one point.

That whole area east of High Raise/Sargeant Man,and west of Easedale Tarn/Tarn Crag, seems confusing and a number of paths/trods which aren't on maps.

Doing my final Wainwright last year, attempted a direct route from the head of Wythburn valley across to Pavey Ark, and found it very challenging in zero visibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    The LDMT went around that area a few years back (2018?). I recall running along the side of Coledale Tarn at one point.
    Yes, 2018. There was a control at the sheepfold just to the north of the tarn. I remember my leg disappearing into a bog over my knee somewhere around there. Was definitely wet underfoot that day.

Master
    9.33 miles, 2,419 feet, 2 hours 53 minutes: Bridgend - Hartsop Above How - Hart Crag - Dove Crag - High/Low Pikes - Low Sweden Bridge - Miller Bridge - Rothay Bridge. Overcast, the cloud base was at about 600 feet, constant drizzle/light rain apart from the last 20 minutes, a strong wind up high. Not cold, though I did have full waterproofs on throughout. Terrain saturated and slippery. I saw about 10 others on the fells.

The best way to get onto the start of the ridge from Bridgend is far from clear. One gate with a public footpath sign was tied closed; another signed public footpath nearby turned away from the ridge within about 30 yards - so I opted for Wainwright's suggestion of a gate 1/4 mile down the road towards Hartsop. This was rather overgrown at first, so I doubt many use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    The best way to get onto the start of the ridge from Bridgend is far from clear. One gate with a public footpath sign was tied closed; another signed public footpath nearby turned away from the ridge within about 30 yards - so I opted for Wainwright's suggestion of a gate 1/4 mile down the road towards Hartsop. This was rather overgrown at first, so I doubt many use it.
    I came down the ridge after a JNLC leg 1 recce earlier in the year, I'd continued on to leg 2 as far as Hart Crag. I hit the road by a bus stop just southeast of Deepdale Bridge. I think there was a large wooden gate and a small stone stile next to it. Don't remember any of it being over grown although I don't think the bit through the last field was well trodden so probably not obvious in the opposite direction.
    I enjoyed the descent down that ridge.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dangilbert View Post
    I came down the ridge after a JNLC leg 1 recce earlier in the year, I'd continued on to leg 2 as far as Hart Crag. I hit the road by a bus stop just southeast of Deepdale Bridge. I think there was a large wooden gate and a small stone stile next to it. Don't remember any of it being over grown although I don't think the bit through the last field was well trodden so probably not obvious in the opposite direction.
    I enjoyed the descent down that ridge.
    The gate that was tied closed was right next to a bus stop, with a grassy open field on the other side. I missed the stone stile. That is helpful, thanks.

PS: the stone stile - immediately behind the bus stop sign post - can actually be seen on Google Earth!
    Last edited by Mike T; 25-09-2021 at 06:48 AM.

Master
    11.89 miles, 3,157 feet, 3 hours 57 minutes: Traveller's Rest - Grasmere - Far Easedale - Mere Beck - Sergeant Man - High Raise - Calf Crag - Steel Fell - Traveller's Rest. Overcast, with the cloud base at around 800 feet, and quite misty even below that. Intermittent drizzle/light rain, no wind, not cold, waterproof top not used. Terrain saturated and slippery. Saw 14 others whilst out.

I have tried the Mere Beck route to Sergeant Man a couple of times now - I must say if I was doing a BG - I never will - I would visit High Raise first to avoid this route - the upper part of it is too vague.

Master
    12.22 miles, 3,631 feet, 3 hours 42 minutes: Rothay Bridge - Low Sweden Bridge - Rock Step - Low/High Pikes - Dove Crag - Scandale - Red Screes - Roundhill Farm - Ambleside. Very overcast at first, with the cloud base at about 500 feet, and visibility down to 20 yards or so at times. Intermittent drizzle/light rain, and a strong wind on the tops. The sun did show itself briefly for a couple of miles at the end of the run. Terrain wet - saturated and very slippery, the rocks and splashy areas of mud in particular. Not cold. I saw 17 walkers on the fells, and 1 other fell runner; lots more people lower down. No queues at the petrol station.

Master
    10.39 miles, 2,441 feet, 2 hours 51 minutes: Loughrigg trails. Sunshine, clouds, and brief light showers. Windy at times, and noticeably cooler than of late, but still not cold. Terrain anything from damp to wet to saturated, and slippery almost everywhere. Not many on the fell.