Page 178 of 300 FirstFirst ... 78128168176177178179180188228278 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,780 of 2998

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    8.49 miles, 3,659 feet, 3 hours 37 minutes: Traveller's Rest - Little Tongue - Grisedale Tarn - Fairfield - Cofa Pike - Grisedale Tarn - Seat Sandal - Winterseeds - Traveller's Rest. Sunny, with a strong very cold wind from the north on the tops. Patches of frost/ice above 2,000 feet. No precipitation. Terrain wet and slippery where not firm and icy. Quite a few walkers on Seat Sandal, and a couple of runners wearing shorts were heading down from Fairfield. Parking areas busy.
    Last edited by Mike T; 21-10-2021 at 04:25 PM.

Master
    12.44 miles, 3,859 feet, 3 hours 58 minutes: Elterwater - Silver How - Lang How - Swinescar Pike - Sergeant Man - High Raise - High White Stones - Sergeant Man - back the way I had come. Sunshine and clouds, a strong cold wind from the north, though not as cold as yesterday - I did not need my waterproof top, nor my new hand knitted Ambleside beanie. No rain. Terrain very variable - dry/damp/wet - slippery in places. Lots of walking groups today; no other runners seen.

Master
    8.08 miles, 2,970 feet, 2 hours 51 minutes: Traveller's Rest - Winterseeds - Grisedale Tarn - Fairfield - Great Rigg - Heron Pike - Nab Scar - Alcock Tarn - Traveller's Rest. Overcast, with the cloud base at around 1,000 feet; constant drizzle/light rain, a very strong wind from the south on the tops, yet no wind in the valleys. I had full waterproof kit on, with the hood up most of the time. Terrain saturated and very slippery. Lots of walkers and fell runners ascending Fairfield - there is obviously an event on based in Grasmere.

I thought I was making reasonable progress going up to Grisedale Tarn, but was overtaken as if I was standing still by a chap carrying a bike.
    Last edited by Mike T; 23-10-2021 at 06:07 PM.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    8.08 miles, 2,970 feet, 2 hours 51 minutes: Traveller's Rest - Winterseeds - Grisedale Tarn - Fairfield - Great Rigg - Heron Pike - Nab Scar - Alcock Tarn - Traveller's Rest. Overcast, with the cloud base at around 1,000 feet; constant drizzle/light rain, a very strong wind from the south on the tops, yet no wind in the valleys. I had full waterproof kit on, with the hood up most of the time. Terrain saturated and very slippery. Lots of walkers and fell runners ascending Fairfield - there is obviously an event on based in Grasmere.

I though I was making reasonable progress going up to Grisedale Tarn, but was overtaken as if I was standing still by a chap carrying a bike.
    May have been something to do with this :-

https://www.resultsbase.net/event/5858
    Last edited by JohnK; 23-10-2021 at 04:21 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Mike T....

Any news on whether the Wansfell race may (or may not) be going ahead over the xmas period?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Mike T....

Any news on whether the Wansfell race may (or may not) be going ahead over the xmas period?
    No news yet - but unless we are under a new lockdown I would be surprised if it did not take place.

Master
    15.1 miles, 4,616 feet, 4 hours 26 minutes: Rothay Bridge - Rydal - Fairfield Horseshoe clockwise as far as Dove Crag - Scandale - Red Screes - Roundhill Farm - Ambleside. Overcast, virtually constant drizzle/light rain, a very strong wind from the south on the tops, yet it was almost still in the valleys. All over waterproof cover worn most of the time. Terrain saturated and slippery. I saw the AAC fast boys setting off for Nab Scar and Alcock Tarn, and one other runner descending Red Screes towards Scandale, and three walkers, and that was it.

This was one of those days when despite benign conditions in the valleys, it is really quite wild on the tops, potentially life threatening if you are unlucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    No news yet - but unless we are under a new lockdown I would be surprised if it did not take place.
    Thanks Mike, i'll keep eyes and ears open!

Master
    13.44 miles, 3,538 feet, 3 hours 49 minutes: Fairfield Horseshoe clockwise from Rothay Bridge, going around the three tops on the way up, and around and then back under the rock step. Sunshine and clouds, and a couple of very brief light showers. Most of the high tops were cloud free. That very strong wind from the south persists, yet it was T shirt weather in the valley. Terrain very variable, from dry, to wet, to saturated and slippery. Lots of walking groups at all levels on the fell.

Master
    13.12 miles, 4,173 feet, 3 hours 51 minutes: Fairfield Horseshoe clockwise from Rothay bridge, so a similar route to yesterday, except 1/ fewer mini u-turns to avoid large groups 2/ I went to the very top of Hart Crag, rather than just to the south of it, to avoid the worst of the wind, and 3/ after going around the Rock Step I went down the rough rocky track for a change - it's horrible. I am not sure where all that extra height came from. Overcast, the cloud base was at about 1,400 feet; intermittent drizzle/light rain; terrain saturated and slippery. If anything the wind on the tops was even stronger than yesterday and the day before - again, in the valley, there was barely a breeze. I only saw six other people between Nab Scar and Low Pike, though there were quite a few groups lower down. I suspect quite a few had turned around, or were going to.