Page 39 of 303 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    Cumbria Police have stopped and are actively stopping numerous vehicles heading into the Lakes and turning them around, it appears that a lot of these people are travelling long distances to come here when they shouldn’t be.

No doubt there are idiots about... But not seen anything published about exactly where they are originating from. Without casting aspersions, I'd estimate a lot more coming from the fringes of Cumbria itself than travelling half the country.

To change to a slightly more optimistic note... I'm in contact with the owners of my regular b&b in Keswick, and they are still planning for people staying with them through the summer... More specifically they are still expecting my arrival for Ennerdale weekend in June...

Can't help thinking that is a bit too optimistic, but let's all hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    No doubt there are idiots about... But not seen anything published about exactly where they are originating from. Without casting aspersions, I'd estimate a lot more coming from the fringes of Cumbria itself than travelling half the country.

To change to a slightly more optimistic note... I'm in contact with the owners of my regular b&b in Keswick, and they are still planning for people staying with them through the summer... More specifically they are still expecting my arrival for Ennerdale weekend in June...

Can't help thinking that is a bit too optimistic, but let's all hope!
    Quite a lot of info on Cumbria Police Twitter page regarding who they’ve stopped, yep fingers crossed Travs that you’ll be heading here in June, the sooner this is over the better...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    It's simple - rural communities lack the health infrastructure to cope with the current situation. They also have a higher vulnerable demographic. Stay at home, people.
    That is a convenient myth.

The infrastructure of the national parks copes with five times the population than it presently has,because of transients, and it has very low population per unit area even then. So average social distancing is clearly increased by less in cities and more in lakes. It is utterly ridiculous and an unwarranted infringement of civil liberties that those with second homes for example are barred from using them.

There is no evidence I am aware that the population is older than many of the dormitory suburbs of cities. Around where I live the average age must be seventy.
    Last edited by Oracle; 10-04-2020 at 10:23 AM.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post

The infrastructure of the national parks copes with five times the population than it presently has,because of transients, and it has very low population per unit area even then. So average social distancing is clearly increased by less in cities and more in lakes. It is utterly ridiculous and an unwarranted infringement of civil liberties that those with second homes for example are barred from using them.

There is no evidence I am aware that the population is older than many of the dormitory suburbs of cities. Around where I live the average age must be seventy.
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/...astbourne-bury

So South Lakeland has a pretty high median age - 67.9 - vs 40 for the rest of the country.

As to going to second homes - most experts disagree with you. You would be mixing with different people, so risking spreading and getting infection, and when you return "home" you will take anything you pick up with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Cyclists need to stay 10 to 20 metres behind the cyclist in front of them to reduce the risk of spread.
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...+Article+Links
    And runners too should be keeping a greater distance according to that study.

In East Devon median age is 69.1. Devon has one of the lowest incidence of confirmed cases in the country.

I think Oracle is right to say that the ability to social distance is greater in the countryside than cities. What’s not clear is why Cumbria’s infection rate is so comparatively high. As WP said, we would need to know which part of Cumbria has the greatest cases I.e. is it the urban areas?

I noticed that Sheffield, a city roughly the same size of Leeds and only 30 odd miles away has more than three times the number of confirmed cases per million.

Of course all confirmed cases will be a small fraction of total cases anyway so maybe comparisons are not that useful.

Banned
    Families are a reason its spreading in certain areas. Larger families and more mix,
    Or
    Less social distancing.

The infrastructure for leisure is geared towards large numbers of visitors but the healthcare and council run services are geared towards the permanent population. So the infringement of civil liberties is just faux ire on your behalf and not in keeping with what the actual situation is for people who live here.

I live in Cumbria and am in touching distance of the NP but like everyone else not living actually in a town or village next to the mountains it’s a long distance love affair at the moment as it’s more than a 5 minute drive away.

You sound Oracle like part of the problem, people who think they can do what suits them because they whine ‘it’s my right’ are the issue.

Banned
    I prefer scientific reality to the protests of nimby whingers.

I obey the law , but spare me the sophistry of locals making up false reasoning.

But I do have a memory. The hills belong to us all , but I shall make sure on my return to them that not a penny of mine goes into the tills of communities that have insulted their future customers.

Nor do I support the police making up laws that do not exist. Do you? Just because police say it, does not make it law: there have been dozens of examples of police “ wasting police time”

Tell me : how is someone in a car in an open place compromising social distance?