Page 185 of 303 FirstFirst ... 85135175183184185186187195235285 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,850 of 3022

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    10.06 miles, 3,210 feet, 3 hours 15 minutes: Wansfell Pike from two sides, including twice down and once up the race route to/from the kissing gate. Lovely sunshine, with some thin high cloud, and a gentle breeze. Frosty from the bottom of the valley up where not in the sun. My waterproof top was not needed after the first couple of miles. Terrain damp/wet and slippery. Again, microspikes carried but not used. Lots of walkers on the steps.

Master
    12.53 miles, 2,844 feet, 3 hours 46 minutes: a warm up in the nice flat grassy fields around the ruins of the Roman Fort, then Loughrigg trails. Sunshine and clouds, with some of the high tops just caught by the latter. A cool breeze on the top - I suspect it would have been stronger and colder higher up. I did not need my waterproof top after the first couple of miles. No rain - terrain mainly dry/damp, but wet/saturated/slippery in a few places. Lots of walker at all levels, and three fellow runners.

I found a couple of new routes whilst doing my best to avoid others. Loughrigg has so much to offer for such a low fell.

Master
    10.1 miles, 3,266 feet, 3 hours 21 minutes: the fields around the Roman Ruins, then Wansfell Pike - twice via the race route up/down from/to the kissing gate. Overcast, no distinct cloud base, but most of the high tops were obscured most of the time. Intermittent light rain - windy at the top of the Pike; not cold, but then I was triple layered top and bottom. Terrain damp/wet/saturated and slippery. I saw a couple of dozen walkers on the steps and around the ruins.

Master
    13.39 miles, 2,436 feet, 3 hours 25 minutes: Roman Ruin fields, Bog Lane laps, Brathay and Loughrigg trails. Sunny, with some thin high clouds; a very cold wind from the north-west. No rain - terrain mainly damp, but frosty/crunchy/icy in places; slippery. Again I was triple layered top and bottom. Lots of walkers on the fell, and a group of three runners.

Now that the bracken is well and truly in retreat the choice of paths had increased considerably.

Master
    9.6 miles, 3,186 feet, 2 hours 59 minutes: around the Roman Ruins, then Wansfell Pike - twice up/down the race route from/to the kissing gate. Mainly sunny, some high clouds, a very strong cold wind from the north. I had three layers on, thankfully. No rain, but there must have been quite a bit overnight - terrain wet/saturated and slippery. Lots of walkers on the steps to/from the Pike, many of them wearing jeans.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    9.6 miles, 3,186 feet, 2 hours 59 minutes: around the Roman Ruins, then Wansfell Pike - twice up/down the race route from/to the kissing gate. Mainly sunny, some high clouds, a very strong cold wind from the north. I had three layers on, thankfully. No rain, but there must have been quite a bit overnight - terrain wet/saturated and slippery. Lots of walkers on the steps to/from the Pike, many of them wearing jeans.
    Not all Jeans are what they seem :-

https://alpkit.com/products/jeanius-...nce-jeans-mens
    Last edited by JohnK; 26-11-2021 at 09:53 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Not all Jeans are what they seem :-

https://alpkit.com/products/jeanius-...nce-jeans-mens
    Cotton, even when mixed with other fibres, strikes me as a good formula for chafing, and when it is wet and windy, hypothermia.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Cotton, even when mixed with other fibres, strikes me as a good formula for chafing, and when it is wet and windy, hypothermia.

Agreed
    but what suits one person may not suit another and a lot depends on what other kit a person that is wearing jeans of any type is carrying and what there intentions are. Therefore I tend to reserve Judgment on other peoples attire unless I know what they are about, of course I do make assumptions when I see runners/walkers in shorts/tights and vests and carrying very little else on the fells in uncertain weather conditions at any time of year.

But at the end of the day it`s each to there own i.m.o.

Had a superb outing this morning early doors with some excellent wind resistance encountered, one tree down but managed to crawl under it (it was supported by two walls and thankfully stayed so while I got under it) and as it got light it was good to see snow on the fells.

Have to say though that I am sorry for all those that have suffered in any way by storm Arwen.
    Last edited by JohnK; 27-11-2021 at 12:01 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Master
    11.49 miles, 3,359 feet, 3 hours 29 minutes: around the Roman Ruins, then Loughrigg trails. Sunshine, a few high clouds, a very strong cold gusty wind from the north - I was forced backwards a couple of times. Lots of blown down trees, particularly between Miller Bridge and the old Golf Club. Terrain anything from dry to wet to icy/crunchy; patchy snow above about 1,000 feet. I needed my triple layers today. Quite a few walkers in the valley - very few higher up. I saw one other runner.

I have no doubt the height recorded by my Garmin is an over-estimate because of the wind.

Master
    7.56 miles, 3,101 feet, 3 hours 14 minutes: Wansfell Pike from three sides, including once down and up the race route to/from the kissing gate. Initially overcast and snowing - it slowly cleared resulting in blue sky, some high clouds, and banks of fog at various levels. Six inches or so of soft snow at the top of the Pike, extending all the way to the bottom of the valley where there was about an inch or so where not in the sun. No wind, not cold, though at no stage did I think about taking off any of my three layers. I wore my microspikes after the first couple of miles - I would not have wanted to be without them. Quite a few walkers on the steps to/from the Pike, and I saw three other runners.

My watch somehow turned itself off halfway through my run - I suspect I nudged one of the buttons - so about half a mile is missing.

Even with the microspikes it was occasionally pretty precarious - they did ball up a lot, though not as frequently as they have at times in the past.