Page 300 of 300 FirstFirst ... 200250290298299300
Results 2,991 to 2,998 of 2998

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    10.31 miles, 2,914 feet, 3 hours 21 minutes: Loughrigg trails, ascending via Fox Ghyll, going down the race route to the road at High Close, down through Deerbolts Woods to Grasmere shore, then back up to the top via Loughrigg Terrace and the steps overlooking Grasmere. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 1,500 feet. More or less continuous drizzle; a moderate wind from the south west. Terrain wet/saturated/slippery. Not many walkers about; 2 runners seen.

Master
    9.16 miles, 3,034 feet, 3 hours 11 minutes: Wansfell Pike from 2 sides, ascending the first time via High Skelghyll Farm, going along the ridge to the true top, going down to the upper section of Nanny Lane, ascending to the Pike again, then descending via the race route past the kissing gate. Blue sky/sunshine and high fluffy clouds. No rain. A strong wind from the south west. Terrain mainly damp/wet/saturated/slippery, though a lot of the rocks were dry. Quite a few walkers on the fell; no runners seen.

Master
    10.37 miles, 3,489 feet, 3 hours 22 minutes: Loughrigg trails, going up via Clappersgate, Fishgarths Wood, Todd Crag and Lily Tarn, and descending past the old golf club, over Miller Bridge and through Rothay Park. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 2,500 feet. Some brief periods of sunshine. A strong cold wind from the north west. Intermittent drizzle. Terrain wet/saturated/slippery. Lots of walkers on the fell; no runners seen.

There is a very thin sprinkling of white stuff above about 2,000 feet.

Some of that height gain will be artifactual from the wind.

Master
    10.36 miles, 2,940 feet, 3 hours 22 minutes: Rothay Bridge - Rydal Park - Low Sweden Bridge - rock step - High Sweden Bridge - Scandale - Red Screes - south ridge - Golden Rule - Ambleside. Lots of lovely sunshine, some high fluffy clouds. No rain. A cold moderately strong wind from the north. Terrain dry/damp/wet and slippery in places. Lots of walkers on the fells, though I did not see any runners.

There were small patches of ice on puddles/water courses above 2,000 feet, but it was easy to avoid. Only the very top of Helvellyn had any visible snow.

Halfway down the south ridge, just above the quarry, there are some sizeable cracks in the bedrock which I am sure are getting larger. Time to start avoiding that section.

Master
    10.02 miles, 3,053 feet, 3 hours 24 minutes: Wansfell Pike from 2 sides, going up from High Skelghyll Farm, down to the upper part of Nanny lane and back up again. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 1,400 feet. More or less constant drizzle. A moderate breeze from the south. Terrain saturated/slippery. Very few walkers about; no runners seen.

Master
    12.75 miles, 3,474 feet, 4 hours 6 minutes: Fairfield Horseshoe clockwise from Ambleside. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 2,500 feet. No rain. A cold moderately strong wind from the north east. Terrain damp/wet and slippery is places. Lots of walkers on the fells; 2 runners were descending the western half of the horseshoe as I was going up.

I went to the left of the 2nd and 4th tops on the ascent, to the south of Hart and Dove Crags, then down the non race side of the wall. Just above the rock step, for the first time ever, I crossed the wall and went down the other side of it. It was mainly rough grass - the race side is better.

Master
    9.29 miles, 2,475 feet, 3 hours 26 minutes: drills/reps in Borrans Park, then Wansfell Pike, going up/down the race route from/to the kissing gate. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 2,500 feet initially, lower later. Drizzle/light rain for the last hour or so. A moderate wind from the east. Terrain damp/wet/saturated/slippery. Lots of walkers on the fell, many of them unhappy with their choice of shoes. 2 runners seen in the valley.

I did 7 different drills, each one 4 times, covering 0.67 miles. Then 2 miles of reps at 18 to the mile. I ran in 9 different directions, again each one 4 times, from the highest point in the park.

There was some new snow visible on the fells above about 2,000 feet.
    Last edited by Mike T; Yesterday at 05:44 PM.

Master
    10.01 miles, 2,832 feet, 3 hours 17 minutes: Loughrigg trails. Initially overcast and drizzly, with the cloud base at about 1,200 feet - later it cleared considerably, with lots of sunshine/blue sky, and the clouds were mainly above the high tops. A cold breeze from the south west. Terrain damp/wet/slippery. Lots of walkers on the fell; no runners seen.

The zip pull on my Shakedry top snapped off - at one stage it looked like I was stuck in it, but eventually I got the zip undone without damaging it.