Page 80 of 300 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130180 ... LastLast

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Trotternish Ridge on Sunday with a friend. First time out with a friend since lockdown. Social distancing wasceasy as he was much faster. Abridged version Quiraing th Storr. 24K and 1500m. Very warm, 26C. Too hot for me and became a bit of a suffer fest tbh. Not a soul in sight till the summit of the Storr where I met a friend and her daughters out for a walk. 3hrs 40.

Banned
    A nice round in light drizzle.

Excellent for the courses and nice fresh smell.

Just over 10k

Master
    8.07 miles, 725 feet, 77 minutes, to The Drunken Duck and back. Such a nice spot when not over run with badly parked cars. Roads very quiet. A few camper vans in out of the way places - I doubt they are day trippers, but it was very clean around them.

Banned
    When I go to Turkey in July and arrive home in August for quarantine, will I still be allowed daily exercise?

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    When I go to Turkey in July and arrive home in August for quarantine, will I still be allowed daily exercise?
    Not outside your own property, you will need to self isolate for 14 days. That’s how things stand at the moment anyway. Things might change.
    Last edited by Muddy Retriever; 03-06-2020 at 10:53 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    Not outside your own property, you will need to self isolate for 14 days. That’s how things stand at the moment anyway. Things might change.
    Thanks Muddy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    I think the policy is unsustainable - because of the damage it will do to international trade, let alone tourism. I think it will have been "revised" by then.

The problem is at present, that the decision makers don't live in the real world where work needs doing for people to get paid, and people cannot stay off work indefinitely.

With all the union stupidity over "keeping their members safe": which in reality is nothing of the sort, in reality the unions have found a relevance they have not had for years and they are exploiting it to the limit. But they have yet to come to terms with the economic cliff they are walking their members over. Even businesses that are still open will post dire figures because of the cost of COVID modifications and inefficiencies like so called "working at home".

I saw a really sad news item. Chester zoo saying rightly they have geared up for COVID and think their measures for reopening are at least as good as supermarkets: in fact better because they are mostly outdoors and they have a lot of land for distancing. But they are not being allowed to open, they have debts which will approach 25 million and they say they may well be forced to CLOSE and NEVER reopen.

I think the approach will have to be eased across all aspects of tourism and leisure. The UK needs tourism like every other country. It is an important industry in paying the UK bills.

In my view the economy should never have been shutdown. The vulnerable should have been isolated - by legal force if necessary. COVID should have been allowed to run its course and burn out in the population as a whole.

The problem with the public sectors ( in which I include governments) self indulgent view of what is important and, that time is no object in how long lockdown lasts, is that it will kill off massive parts of the economy which will not reopen after furlough.

And the problem with the countries budget is the same as every family. It does not take much of a reduction of national income to force cutting back on essentials, as corporation tax next year will drop of a cliff.

So in summary I expect a growing realization, that the country has to reopen. It cannot afford any more. So isolation will be quietly forgotten with weasel words like "those returning from countries where COVID is rife must quarantine" which will be a movable feast dwindling to nobody, sooner rather than later.

Out of curiosity where are you going in turkey stagger? There are parts of historic turkey I fancy visiting in winter that is, when it is not so hot!
    Last edited by Oracle; 04-06-2020 at 11:30 AM.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I have a lot of sympathy with your point of view on this, Oracle. Yesterday morning on BBC Radio 4's Today programme, Edward Argar (Health Minister) was being questioned about the quarantine proposal: three times the interviewer asked him which country had a worse Covid situation than UK, and three times he simply refused to answer the question.

There are a lot of businesses that could easily reopen with social distancing, but are not being allowed to. I have a friend who has a brilliant business, running fitness classes for women who are pregnant or in the first few months after giving birth. They are mostly in the open air (often on Beacon Hill!), so no problem with social distancing. Last week, she decided to restart her class for the mothers with babies, with a limit of six women; she ran one class, and was then told that it breached guidelines because she had to count the babies in the buggies as well as their mums!
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Banned
    Fly in to Dalaman.

Gocek is favourite place
    Fethiye
    Olu Deniz
    Dalyan

Master
    8 miles, 2,165 feet, 1 hour 50 minutes, Wansfell Ridge. Very quiet - very few cars, only 1 other person on the fell.