Page 90 of 300 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140190 ... LastLast

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    If you look on Strava Global Heat Map you can see a slightly indirect path going north from near the Rydal Hall toilet/shower block to it - I must try this route soon. Also on Strava GHM you can see that virtually nobody goes all the way up the valley - almost all head up to the left shortly after the gate after the huge boulder. This is the route I have taken once - very steep.
    I once went up that way in winter at night. Full snow cover and a bright moon between racing clouds. We eventually carried on over Fairfield and looking down the valley towards the lights of Rydal and Ambleside I realised that 'Awefull' actually meant magnificent and awe inspiring.

Master
    7 miles, 900 feet, 1 hour 24 minutes: through Rydal Hall grounds to Buckstone's jump and back. Constant drizzle, ground sodden, nobody about. Buckstone's Jump is a lovely spot, but a bit of an excursion for a family with youngsters for example. The partial barriers to the flow of water are all natural - lovely smooth glaciated rocks.

I run very little now, finding the bike easier on the joints and muscles, but this afternoon I felt like a jog despite the pouring rain. I never minded running in s**t weather but forget that on a bike .
    First jog for 2 weeks plus and up the hill and round, about 6 miles and 1000+ft, no lack of fitness and went well considering. No problems grinding out the miles just don't enjoy the leg pain, I will suffer tomorrow!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Master
    12.47 miles, 3,373 feet, 3 hours 18 minutes: Fairfield Horseshoe. About a dozen on the fell - mizzle/light drizzle throughout; in cloud almost all the way around - not cold. Roads much busier; some cafes open, but the distancing inside makes them look rather sad. Pubs quiet so far.

Banned
    Another 12k walk with the same 69 nett scored.
    This week I was off a shot less too.

Master
    9.29 miles, 889 feet, 1 hour 27 minutes: Drunken Duck - Outgate Inn figure of 8. For the first time ever I could smell the beer as I ran past the Duck - was not open but either was last night or will be very soon. Lots of cars on anything more than a minor road.

Master
    7.5 miles, 2,146 feet, 1 hour 50 minutes: Wansfell Ridge. Intermittent sun; ground sodden. In terms of cars/people, it would pass for a "normal" quiet day - the busiest it has been since lockdown.

Super Moderator
    I went for a walk at dinner time with the dog on Penistone Hill, up above Haworth. We did three miles or so but what really hit me was I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many cars parked up there or so many people (well apart from when the Woodentops’ races are on)
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I concur. Lots of folk, it’s getting difficult trying to pretend it’s the wilderness these days. It’s made me work harder to socially distance.

Master
    8 miles, 2,136 feet, 2 hours: Wansfell Ridge. Much as yesterday. Holding your breath whilst running past people is interesting - more than a few seconds and you can really feel the lack of oxygen. I assume it is this, rather than the build of carbon dioxide, or the acidosis.