Page 188 of 300 FirstFirst ... 88138178186187188189190198238288 ... LastLast
Results 1,871 to 1,880 of 2998

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Well, we'll se how i get on, you have far better local knowledge than me. Most of what i remember is how much of a pain in the arse it is trying to run off it with jelly legs. Bizarrely, i managed to complete my entry by recalling my card details from memory. Don't know how i managed that one.
    There are other options on the initial part of the descent, on very steep grass, often frozen in winter, so I avoid them. Also, the almost horizontal grass covered rock band has several ways through it, but I think the main thing is to keep moving and not to hesitate too much and lose time/places.

Master
    7.92 miles, 3,316 feet, 2 hours 49 minutes: Wansfell Pike, including twice up and down the race route from/to the kissing gate. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 2,000 feet. No obvious new snow overnight, but I suspect there was some on the high tops. No rain/snow whilst I was out; a cool breeze from the west. Terrain saturated and slippery. Very few on the fell.

Master
    9.03 miles, 2,310 feet, 2 hours 58 minutes: Rothay Bridge - Miller Bridge - Low Sweden Bridge - around the Rock Step - Low Pike - High Pike - back the same way, except on the other side of the wall - I ascended with the wall on my right. Sunshine and clouds, with the cloud base at about 2,000 feet, and a cold wind from the south west. No precipitation. Slushy snow above 1,700 feet, becoming deeper and more confluent with height. It was about 1/2 way up my shin in places, and quite unpleasant to negotiate - no weight bearing crust, not icy, and the terrain was otherwise soft/saturated/slippery. I had three layers on, and needed them. Only three others - walkers - seen on the fell, though there were lots of walkers and one other runner in the valley.

I did think about going over to Red Screes, but the idea of wading through all that snow was very off-putting.

Master
    12.49 miles, 3,872 feet, 3 hours 59 minutes: Rothay Bridge - Clappersgate - Todd Crag - Ivy Crag - Loughrigg top - High Close - Silver How - High Close - Loughrigg top - Miller Bridge - Rothay Bridge. Sunshine and clouds, with the clouds mainly above the high tops; a cold wind from the north west, one brief rain shower, and a couple of nice rainbows. The snow is looking rather thin and patchy, but I have no doubt it is still deep and confluent in places. The snow line is at about 2,000 feet. The terrain I encountered was anything from damp to saturated, and slippery in places. Not many on the fells.

Master
    9 miles, 3,168 feet, 3 hours 3 minutes: Wansfell Pike, including twice up and twice down the race route from/to the kissing gate. Overcast, almost continuous drizzle/light rain; cloud base initially 1,000 feet, later down to 300 feet or so. A cold breeze at the top of the Pike. Terrain wet/saturated and slippery. I saw a couple of dozen walkers on the steps. There are still some downed trees blocking quite popular paths.

Was particularly grey and wet over on the eastern side of the Lakes today.

Master
    11.92 miles, 3,182 feet, 3 hours 39 minutes: around the Roman Ruins, then Loughrigg trails. Overcast, with the cloud base almost at the valley floor. Constant drizzle, no significant wind, not cold. Terrain saturated and slippery. I saw nine other runners, and a similar number of walkers. The runners were a group of six, a pair, and a chap by himself.

Master
    12.42 miles, 3,572 feet, 3 hours 54 minutes: Rothay Bridge - Miller Bridge - Low Sweden Bridge - up to and around the Rock Step - Low Pike, with the wall on my left - High Pike, swapping to the other side of the wall - Dove Crag - Scandale - Red Screes - Roundhill Farm - Ambleside. Overcast, with a few brief minutes of sunshine. No definite cloud base - some large banks of cloud at various levels. A cool breeze from the south east, no rain. Terrain wet/saturated and slippery. Some small patches of snow above 2,000 feet, mainly as residual drifts either side of some walls. I saw a dozen or so walkers on the fells. I didn't get cold, but I was triple layered.

Master
    11.27 miles, 3,098 feet, 3 hours 35 minutes: around the Roman Ruins, then Loughrigg trails, taking in Todd Crag, Ivy Crag, Loughrigg top, the race route to/from the road at High Close, and Fishgarths Wood. Sunshine and clouds , with the cloud base at about 2,500 feet, and some banks of cloud below that. No rain, a cool breeze from the south, terrain wet/saturated and slippery. There were about thirty walkers at the top of Loughrigg, presumably a school group, and a dozen or so scattered elsewhere on the fell.

Master
    9.1 miles, 3,272 feet, 3 hours 7 minutes: around the Roman Ruins, then Wansfell Pike, including twice up and down the race route from/to the kissing gate. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 1,000 feet, and misty below that; a few minutes of sunshine, virtually constant drizzle, a cool breeze from the south. Terrain wet/saturated and slippery. I came across about fifteen walkers on the steps.

The initial part of my ascent went near the Champion Tree Trail. Some of the trees have signs on them, giving their variety and height. Higher up, on a steep slippery narrow section of trail, there are two trees on the other side of a wall with signs on them - for some time I had been thinking about crossing the wall to read the signs - I got the opportunity to do that today when a couple with a dog not on a lead were descending, and the dog was heading towards me and not returning to its owners despite being called. I said it should be on a lead if it did not obey calls - they said it did not need to be on a lead as it usually obeyed!

The signs on the trees - "Private" - yet you had to go onto the private land to be able to read them.