Page 120 of 304 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130170220 ... LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 3033

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    10.96 miles, 2,743 feet, 3 hours 11 minutes: Red Screes via Roundhill Farm both ways. Much like yesterday - lovely warm sun in the valley - dense cloud and a very cold wind above about 1,500 feet. Still about a foot of snow on the top where it has not been trodden down. Used micro spikes on the descent, though they were not as crucial as yesterday. Saw ten others on the fell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    10.96 miles, 2,743 feet, 3 hours 11 minutes: Red Screes via Roundhill Farm both ways. Much like yesterday - lovely warm sun in the valley - dense cloud and a very cold wind above about 1,500 feet. Still about a foot of snow on the top where it has not been trodden down. Used micro spikes on the descent, though they were not as crucial as yesterday. Saw ten others on the fell.
    So do you go through the farm, and then continue up the right-of-way past High Grove... basically an off road alternative to using the Struggle up to Kirkstone Pass?

Master
    Going up Stockghyll Lane, half a mile past the turnoff for Wansfell Pike, a gate appears on the left just after crossing a cattle grid - it zig-zags down and up the other side of the valley on a grassy/muddy path, and brings you to Roundhill Farm - turn left on the narrow lane, then sharp right when you reach the Struggle - after a quarter of a mile the gate leading to Red Screes appears on your left. This is Wainwright's "Gate between young oaks". So you start off heading towards Middle Grove/High Grove, but turn off left well before reaching either of them. I use this route as it avoids town, and it is a change from going via Scandale, Wansfell true top, or Middle/High Grove.

Ah i see... so up the south ridge... i've always just ran up the road to the stile (a tough start!)

Although last couple of times i've quite enjoyed a blast up Scandale and then back down the south ridge.

One of my favourite peaks, no doubt due to location and accessibility.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Ah i see... so up the south ridge... i've always just ran up the road to the stile (a tough start!)

Although last couple of times i've quite enjoyed a blast up Scandale and then back down the south ridge.

One of my favourite peaks, no doubt due to location and accessibility.
    Which road/stile?

I just run up from centre of town, up the Kirkstone/Struggle road...

"which stile?" i meant the "gate between young oaks"... for some reason i recalled it being a stile, but seems i am mistaken.

It's a cracking descent back down that south ridge...

Master
    7.75 miles, 3,615 feet, 2 hours 45 minutes: Wansfell Pike, with down/up/down/up/down the race descent. Overcast, with scattered patches of cloud lower down. No wind nor rain. Slippery. About 20 seen on the fell.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I just run up from centre of town, up the Kirkstone/Struggle road...

"which stile?" i meant the "gate between young oaks"... for some reason i recalled it being a stile, but seems i am mistaken.

It's a cracking descent back down that south ridge...
    Agreed - a tough start, and a lovely descent.

Master
    9.3 miles, 1,017 feet, 1 hour 34 minutes: Skelwith - Drunken Duck loop with a few bits added on. Overcast, no rain, no wind so not cold. Only saw six others.

Master
    9.14 miles, 4,078 feet, 2 hours 58 minutes: Wansfell Pike, with down/up/down/up/down the race route. Mist/cloud, getting denser with height; constant mizzle/drizzle. Not windy, so not that cold. Very slippery. About a dozen on the fell.