Page 125 of 303 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127135175225 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 3022

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Yes i do like Kathoolas.... they are ok over very short sections of soft ground, as they will empty out as soon as you hit hard ground.

I often use them on the canal towpaths round here to good effect.

Master
    9.72 miles, 2,874 feet, 2 hours 55 minutes: Loughrigg trails. Glorious sunshine, no wind to speak of. Terrain varied between mud, crusty/crunchy, frozen solid, and patches of ice. Snow line about 1,400 feet, so I was well below that. Microspikes again did an excellent job. Lots on the fell, some in groups of a dozen or so.

I think some of the most frequent 'lethal' moments I've had have been in conditions when black ice has covered metalled surfaces or tarmacadam, such as lanes and pavements, or when there's been vergals on the rockier fells. When conditions are perhaps not sufficiently pervasive to call for mircrospikes, but enough to snap your collar-bone, wrist or whatever should you take a tumble.

A few years ago I invested in a pair of Inov-8 OROCs and they're still going strong, as they're only used for a couple of months a year usually.

I see the latest version now have manganese spikes to replace the older tungsten ones. Each summer, they're usually selling OROCs off with the previous year's colours at near half-price if you can afford to wait.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post

A few years ago I invested in a pair of Inov-8 OROCs and they're still going strong, as they're only used for a couple of months a year usually.

I see the latest version now have manganese spikes to replace the older tungsten ones. Each summer, they're usually selling OROCs off with the previous year's colours at near half-price if you can afford to wait.
    I recall last winter, in the Llani Tinsel Run, being followed on a tarmac section, by someone wearing a pair of OROCs. I thought that there was some sort of farm machinery about to run me over!

I was chatting to the wearer afterwards and he thought that they were fantastic. He raved about them so much that I planned to get some this summer as they are a bit pricey. However, with one thing and another going on I forgot.

So thanks for the reminder Mossdog. I have just written in 2021 Diary 1st May OROCs!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    I think some of the most frequent 'lethal' moments I've had have been in conditions when black ice has covered metalled surfaces or tarmacadam, such as lanes and pavements, or when there's been vergals on the rockier fells. When conditions are perhaps not sufficiently pervasive to call for mircrospikes, but enough to snap your collar-bone, wrist or whatever should you take a tumble.

I have an old pair of Jalas orienteering shoes with I believe tungsten spikes - they are/were brilliant but unfortunately my feet have widened with age and they are no longer comfortable.

I see the Orocs only go up to a 3 width - I doubt they are wide enough for me. Under normal circumstances I would try on a pair - but that will not be happening for some time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    I have an old pair of Jalas orienteering shoes with I believe tungsten spikes - they are/were brilliant but unfortunately my feet have widened with age and they are no longer comfortable.

I see the Orocs only go up to a 3 width - I doubt they are wide enough for me. Under normal circumstances I would try on a pair - but that will not be happening for some time.
    You could always try this :-

https://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/d...inter-running/
    The older I get the Faster I was

Master
    12.28 miles, 3,409 feet, 3 hours 30 minutes: Fairfield c/w. Sunshine throughout; cold wind on top. Snow, patchy at first, from about 1,500 feet; six to nine inches deep on top where not trodden down or blown about. Terrain frozen from the valley up unless in full sunlight. Wore microspikes from home - took them off at Nook Farm at the 11 mile mark - again they were brilliant. Lots on the fell; town is heaving.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Very slow trog through the mud, over Buck Hill and Beacon Hill. Snow line on Beacon Hill about 600-700 feet.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Kahtoolas - they are several years old, and will probably see me out. They are really good on ice/frozen terrain/slippery rock/"dry" snow. They don't work so well with slush or muddy grass - they just fill up with gunk every few steps. They can be left on on tarmac - just in case there was still some ice on the roads yesterday I wore them all the way home, which involves about half a mile of tarmac. They come with a storage bag so they do not mess up your bumbag - though you may need to pay extra for it.
    Thanks Mike. I'll check them out.

Total snow run today, along the Teesdale/Weardale 'border' ridge, and part of the Teesdale Watershed route. Dropped off at Swinhope Head, to Fendrith trig, Harthope Moor, (ok, I had to cross the gritted road here so no snow for a yard), High Field Trig, Scaud Hill, Burnhope Trig, Yadmoss road and lift home 9.98 miles, 1191 ft, 2hrs 7 mins.

The terrain was pretty dull (covered blanket bog), but the views, especially in the pristine snow, were spectacular. Constant sunshine. Freezing wind (car registered temp -2.5 C at Yadmoss) Views across to the Crossfell, Little Dun fell and Great Dun Fell ridge completely blanketed in snow, for multiple miles - very artic-like. A few skiers and a kite skier spotted on route.

Have to say that the snow underfoot, while light and powdery, did rather lose its charm a bit after the first hour or so of trudging and sliding
    Am Yisrael Chai