Page 126 of 300 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128136176226 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,260 of 2999

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Coniston, Levers Water, Swirl How, Grey Friar, a terrible line to the traverse to Brim Fell, Goats Hawse, Goats Water, Walna Scar, Coniston. Loads on the fells, Old Man top looked rammed from a distance, a couple of guys runnning at Swirl How and one runner passed at Brim Fell. Ordered a cheap set of micro spikes last night which the postman shoved in my hand as I left the house, I put them on at the top of Swirl How and took them off again at the cove, they performed surprisingly well worth every penny of the 6 quid I paid for them , one link missing when I got back to the van, think I’ll treat myself to a decent set

Master
    12.35 miles, 3,386 feet, 3 hours 38 minutes: Fairfield, c/w. Fresh snow overnight, 1-2 inches in town, 3-5 inches on the tops. Sunshine above 2,000 feet; cloud in places below that. No wind. Microspikes used almost from door to door. Fewer about than yesterday, but more than I expected given we are now in tier 4.

Master
    8.43 miles, 3,478 feet, 2 hours 57 minutes: Wansfell Pike. Lots of ice on the paths, particularly on the Wansfell steps - many of the rocks/slabs are encased in ice. Very variable terrain, dependent on sunshine and traffic: anything from mud to crusty to frozen solid to ice. Snow line roughly 1,400 feet, though now very patchy at this height. Very cold wind high up; bright sunshine. Not many about. Microspikes door to door - sheet ice on some of the roads/pavements in the town.

Master
    6.44 miles, 3,878 feet, 2 hours 39 minutes: Wansfell Pike, including 3 times up the steps and down the race route to the kissing gate. Mainly sunny, the odd cloud, some brief snow flurries, and I could see snow showers in the distance. Very cold wind, but only at the top of the Pike, as is often the case. Frozen terrain from the valley up, still lots of ice on the steps. Saw about ten others, four of whom were struggling up the steps with inadequate grip. Microspikes door to door.

Master
    10.86 miles, 3,540 feet, 3 hours 25 minutes: Nab Scar - Alcock Tarn - Loughrigg - Fishgarths Wood. It was far too windy to do Fairfield - the idea of that cold wind being in my face for over an hour did not appeal. Some of the tops were in cloud - sunshine elsewhere. Terrain still mainly frozen. Lots about. Microspikes from home until the last mile or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    10.86 miles, 3,540 feet, 3 hours 25 minutes: Nab Scar - Alcock Tarn - Loughrigg - Fishgarths Wood. It was far too windy to do Fairfield - the idea of that cold wind being in my face for over an hour did not appeal. Some of the tops were in cloud - sunshine elsewhere. Terrain still mainly frozen. Lots about. Microspikes from home until the last mile or so.
    I was somewhat surprised by a bitter northerly headwind on the canal for the second hour of my run this morning... so i can imagine up on the Fairfield ridge it would be rather challenging!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I was somewhat surprised by a bitter northerly headwind on the canal for the second hour of my run this morning... so i can imagine up on the Fairfield ridge it would be rather challenging!
    Going out to the north-east on my bike ride this afternoon, I really noticed the cold wind in my face.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    9.04 miles, 4,078 feet, 3 hours 19 minutes: Wansfell Pike, including twice up/down the race route from the kissing gate. That cold wind is still there, though not quite as strong. The steps remain very icy, and the terrain is widely frozen. An inch or so of new snow overnight above about 1,300 feet. About a dozen on the fell. Microspikes door to door.

Master
    9.71 miles, 3,215 feet, 2 hours 59 minutes: Wansfell Ridge. Sunshine and clouds - some persistent dense looking banks of cloud on the higher fells. The odd snow flake. That NE wind persists. Terrain still mainly frozen, with patchy snow above 1,300 feet. Saw ten others on the fell. Microspikes but for the first and last half miles

Master
    10.88 miles, 3,379 feet, 3 hours 14 minutes: Wansfell Ridge - Kirkstone Inn - Red Screes - Roundhill Farm. Lovely sunshine apart from the very top of Red Screes which was in mist. Virtually no wind. Snow/ice persist, though mainly above 1,500 feet; terrain widely frozen. Only six others seen on the fell. Microspikes used apart from some sections on tarmac; ascending the steps from The Kirkstone Inn would have been very dodgy without them.
    Last edited by Mike T; 06-01-2021 at 06:10 PM.