Page 142 of 304 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144152192242 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 3034

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    8.72 miles, 3,189 feet, 2 hours 44 minutes: Wansfell Pike from 3 sides. Sunshine, quite a cold wind, but I was OK in a vest. Terrain mostly dry. Lots about, both on the fell and on the roads, and the P+D carpark at Waterhead was almost full.

Walk with the wife today.
    12.5 miles, 1975ft, 3:50 with most of the climb in the first half with 4 climbs working our way around the East side of Darwen Tower and up over from Whitehall to Roddlesworth Visitor Centre then home.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

First run outside Teesdale since the start of Lockdown 3.0. and a lifting of my injury management, self-imposed distance moratorium of 6 miles max.

Kirkby Stephen to Wildboar Fell via Bullgill and back, via Nateby. 14.39 miles, 2,464 feet, 2 hrs 38 mins.

Cold, steady, north breeze, but sunshine mainly. Counted 6 to 8 walkers on Wildboar plateau and a couple on the way up - mobbed

First swallow of the year spotted plus, a dipper on the upper Eden, more fell ponies than you can shake a stick at, and red squirrels x4!

Right knee seems OK for now, just a bit tight.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    12.28 miles, 3,387 feet, 3 hours 26 minutes: Fairfield Horseshoe c/w. Sunny, a very cold wind on top - needed a long sleeved top. Terrain dry and soft, a delight to run on. Lots about, both on the fell and in town; all the usual free parking spots I passed were taken.

After a year of mostly walking from home, doing many of the same routes I set out to do some new routes today.

10.8 miles, 1330ft, 3:28

Managed about 5 miles of new ground, a lot of rough tracks seldom used and a few sections of public footpath in the lower Tockholes area that landowners seem intent to let go in to decline and removed footpath signage.
    In a couple of instances they were intentionally blocked off.

Still 2 good days out and feet up now.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

The Peloton app and online fitness programme seems to be very popular, especial for those in lockdown and who have limited opportunity to exercise outside.

However, last week I watched one of their TV ads. which featured the online coach demonstrating a 'stretch' (?) exercise with weights, which was then performed by the woman he was coaching. The exercise involved her initially holding a single dumbbell, in two hands, in front of her and down to her right hand-side, near her right hip, and then swinging the dumbbell up, diagonally across her chest, with the movement ending just above her left shoulder, and then returning to her right hip to complete the rep, and then repeated again, quickly.

I assume this was a stretch/strength exercise, but what worried me was the speed and the fact that it seems to be relying on moving weight momentum assisting the speed and swing, and relying on the shoulder and back muscles to bring the moment to a screeching halt above the shoulder and down by the hip.

Look, I'm no physio or personal trainer so i admit I might have got this wrong, but to my understanding this looked like really bad form, and that if needed at all the best and safest way to do this exercise would be controlled, slow movements.

Maybe I'm wrong? If I'm right there's going to be a lot of physio/GP appointments pending if anyone tries to emulate that exercise at home!
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    13.84 miles, 4,924 feet, 4 hours 9 minutes: Red Screes via Wansfell Pike and Roundhill Farm, then back the same way. A partial inversion - initially in places the cloud base was down to about 400 feet, but it gradually rose and melted away. A cold wind, particularly on the very top, but I got down to my vest on the final ascent. Terrain dry and soft. Not that many about - only 5 others on Red Screes, a few more on the Pike.

Yesterday, frustrated by not being able to run or cycle on such a glorious day I decided to go for a longer walk than usual.

From home down to Haddon Hall, over the A6 and up to Calton Pastures and its TP on the Chatsworth Estate. Down into Pilsley and then across to Hassop before calling at a friends in Rowland for a brew. Up onto Longstone Edge, over the moor to Wardlow and up to Wardlow Hay Cop. Down into Hay Dale and then over the river Wye at Upperdale and up onto the Monsal Trail. Just before the Headstone Tunnel up steeply to the Monsal Head Hotel and then through the woods back down to the river and along to White Lodge, crossing the A6 again.

Up a beautiful Deep Dale in the evening sun and over to Monyash. Over the fields to One Ash Grange and then down into Cales Dale, Lathkill Dale and home.

A great day out which included a few paths that were new to me. I also travelled along paths which are parts of local fell races namely, Bakewell Pudding, Pilsley, Great Longstone, Litton Christmas Cracker, Cressbrook Crawl, Sheldon and Leg It Round Lathkil. It was fun reliving past glories, agonies and battles whilst anticipating those which are hopefully not too far away.

A total of 27 miles, 3'452 feet in 7hrs 57min excluding three 15 min stops. The only snag was that as I am not able to use a rucsac due to my shoulder I was limited to what I could carry in my largest bumbag resulting in me being starving on reaching home!

Surprisingly very few people about on such a lovely day apart from the Monsal Trail and Monsal Head which were heaving with folk.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 04-04-2021 at 03:05 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Yesterday, frustrated by not being able to run or cycle on such a glorious day I decided to go for a longer walk than usual.

From home down to Haddon Hall, over the A6 and up to Calton Pastures and its TP on the Chatsworth Estate. Down into Pilsley and then across to Hassop before calling at a friends in Rowland for a brew. Up onto Longstone Edge, over the moor to Wardlow and up to Wardlow Hay Cop. Down into Hay Dale and then over the river Wye at Upperdale and up onto the Monsal Trail. Just before the Headstone Tunnel up steeply to the Monsal Head Hotel and then through the woods back down to the river and along to White Lodge, crossing the A6 again.

Up a beautiful Deep Dale in the evening sun and over to Monyash. Over the fields to One Ash Grange and then down into Cales Dale, Lathkill Dale and home.

A great day out which included a few paths that were new to me. I also travelled along paths which are parts of local fell races namely, Bakewell Pudding, Pilsley, Great Longstone, Litton Christmas Cracker, Cressbrook Crawl, Sheldon and Leg It Round Lathkil. It was fun reliving past glories, agonies and battles whilst anticipating those which are hopefully not too far away.

A total of 27 miles, 3'452 feet in 7hrs 57min excluding three 15 min stops. The only snag was that as I am not able to use a rucsac due to my shoulder I was limited to what I could carry in my largest bumbag resulting in me being starving on reaching home!

Surprisingly very few people about on such a lovely day apart from the Monsal Trail and Monsal Head which were heaving with folk.
    Nice on Llani.

Feel a bit embarrassed with my 5.5 miles, 1:45, 800ft, but my mitigation is that on my right foot my middle toe nail cut in to the toe next to it, so I cut it short, but it would only have been around 8 anyway
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    A 2-hour walk with some new diversions on Beacon Hill. Going up the North face of the hill, there is a gate onto the open heathland, close to the 210m contour. Today I found the gate locked, with a notice saying that to protect ground-nesting birds, this area of heathland would be out of bounds until further notice (this has never happened in the past). I took the recommended diversion, along some rather boring paths via the main car park, so on the way down I decided to recce a better route. I found a small, steep trod which comes out on the track which passes the aforementioned gate.

So, instead of the 120 metres of unbroken ascent from the Woodbrook valley to the summit, I will now have about 80 metres of ascent, then along the track with about 10 metres of descent, then the final 50 metres of ascent at quite a challenging gradient via the trod; although the first challenge will be finding the start of the trod. I have noted that it's by the first beech tree on the right after the double bend in the track.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges