Page 143 of 304 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153193243 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 3032

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    A 2-hour walk with some new diversions on Beacon Hill. Going up the North face of the hill, there is a gate onto the open heathland, close to the 210m contour. Today I found the gate locked, with a notice saying that to protect ground-nesting birds, this area of heathland would be out of bounds until further notice (this has never happened in the past). I took the recommended diversion, along some rather boring paths via the main car park, so on the way down I decided to recce a better route. I found a small, steep trod which comes out on the track which passes the aforementioned gate.

So, instead of the 120 metres of unbroken ascent from the Woodbrook valley to the summit, I will now have about 80 metres of ascent, then along the track with about 10 metres of descent, then the final 50 metres of ascent at quite a challenging gradient via the trod; although the first challenge will be finding the start of the trod. I have noted that it's by the first beech tree on the right after the double bend in the track.
    That is the sort of detail I like - on Hart Crag for example, if it is under snow and the clag is down - "turn half right at the second cairn once it flattens out ..." can be so helpful, as long as I remember it of course. But if I have gone wrong in a big way in the past I find I do remember.

Master
    10.06 miles, 3,325 feet, 2 hours 50 minutes: Loughrigg trails. A very strong very cold wind; mainly blue sky, the odd cloud - the sunshine made sure that most of the sprinkling of graupel that fell overnight did not last long. Terrain soft and dry. Quite a few about, all rugged up; I did not get down to my vest today.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Fairly long walk, though not as epic as Llani's recent effort; about 17 miles, and I had a rucksack with food in it! But it felt quite hard, coming at the end of a fairly active long weekend.

Up Beacon Hill by the most direct route; ahead of me, two women ran every step of the way up the steepest part of the path. It's been a year or two since I could do this, and even though they weren't going much faster than I was walking it, there was a certain feeling of "Rage, rage against the dying of the light" (or at least the dying of the leg muscles).

Down to the Ulverscroft valley, where Ulverscroft Priory still has scaffolding all over it. I know that Henry VIII's damage was quite severe, but they haven't even patched up the walls, let along put a new roof on it, and the scaffolding has been there for years!

Out on some paths that I had never used before, towards Markfield and then Copt Oak. Passed a herd of roe deer grazing in a field, but it looked like they were farmed rather than wild.

On to more familiar paths, up Timberwood Hill by the usual steep way (thanks again to Leics & Rutland Wildlife Trust for the permissive paths on this hill), then back home via the path over Lubcloud and the tedious walk down Nanpantan Road.

Very clear views from the hill tops: northward to The Roaches and Axe Edge as well as much of the White Peak, southward to Edge Hill and the north Cotswolds -- oh, and Birmingham; Cannock Chase to the west, the Belvoir escarpment and Lincoln Edge to the east.
    Last edited by anthonykay; 05-04-2021 at 06:02 PM. Reason: I hadn't noticed that autocorrect thought that Llani should be llama.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    8.89 miles, 4,076 feet, 2 hours 59 minutes: Wansfell Pike, including twice up and three times down the race route to the kissing gate - 77 minutes. Sunshine/clouds/light graupel showers/very cold wind. Terrain dry and soft - the occasional patch of ice on puddles/streams. I had my windproof on most of the time. About 20 on the fell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    8.89 miles, 4,076 feet, 2 hours 59 minutes: Wansfell Pike, including twice up and three times down the race route to the kissing gate - 77 minutes. Sunshine/clouds/light graupel showers/very cold wind. Terrain dry and soft - the occasional patch of ice on puddles/streams. I had my windproof on most of the time. About 20 on the fell.
    Crikey Mike, you're an absolute legend! I want to know what your secret is as to how come you stay so fit, healthy and injury free. Have you done a deal with the devil or is it just down to great genes ? My pet theory is you've discovered a secret, magical, life-enhancing spring, hidden somewhere on the slopes of Red Screes! Whatever, you're an inspiration.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Crikey Mike, you're an absolute legend! I want to know what your secret is as to how come you stay so fit, healthy and injury free. Have you done a deal with the devil or is it just down to great genes ? My pet theory is you've discovered a secret, magical, life-enhancing spring, hidden somewhere on the slopes of Red Screes! Whatever, you're an inspiration.
    Thanks Mossdog! Take note I am not fast. Being injury free is of course crucial - I have been doing at least 3 strength and conditioning sessions a week - or their equivalent - for several years now, run by locals such as Adam Smith, Adam Thwaites, and Paul Tierney. And being retired I have the time to run when I like.

Yesterday I went for a walk with a young lad from the village who is a third of my age. He is a keen runner who runs mainly on the road and has a parkrun PB of 17.12 so I hoped that I would be able to keep up with him.

We dropped down into Lathkill Dale and up to Moor Lane. Down the steps into Cales Dale and left up towards Arbor Low before turning right across fields to Monyash. Up Horse Lane and over to Magpie Mine before more fields to home.
    A total of 11 miles and 1'500 feet in a very steady 3hrs 37 min. This young whippersnapper was not a quick walking whippersnapper and asked me to slow down on the few short uphill's which I refuse to call steep! It surprised me how little stamina he had. Will he still take 2-3 minutes out of me on a 5K run though?

A cold but glorious day and surprisingly only 15-20 people seen.

Today an evening walk with the dogs over the Leg It Round Lathkill route. Got caught in a couple of wintry showers. No one seen. 8 miles and 900 feet in 2hrs 35 min.

A total of 76 miles walking in the last week and the legs feel light and strong which should bode well for my plan to start again running in May. No weight put on either. The shoulder is improving and back to the hospital to see the physio tomorrow and also the nurse to take my stitches out.

Onwards and Upwards
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 06-04-2021 at 10:10 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    13.58 miles, 4,148 feet, 3 hours 48 minutes: Swinescar Pike - via Clappersgate/Todd Crag/Ivy Crag/Loughrigg top/Elterwater on the way out, and Lang How/Silver How/Loughrigg top/Miller Bridge on the return. Sunshine and clouds, wind not as strong nor as cold as yesterday, no precipitation. Terrain dry/soft. Quite a few on Loughrigg, not many at all elsewhere.

Master
    8.18 miles, 486 feet, 1 hour 22 minutes: Along the Under Loughrigg road to Rydal, then along the main road to White Moss and back to town. Overcast, cloud base at about 1,600 feet, constant drizzle, no significant wind at this level, not cold. A few large groups about - they naturally tend to spread themselves across the available space, so I did a couple of U turns to avoid them.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    It surprised me how little stamina he had. Will he still take 2-3 minutes out of me on a 5K run though?
    It's amazing isn't it. Stamina definitely develops after speed. Having said that, I'm still waiting for mine to develop... Maybe I need both age and training.

And yes, he'll definitely still beat you (and me) at parkrun.