Page 156 of 304 FirstFirst ... 56106146154155156157158166206256 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,560 of 3031

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Must have missed you Mike.... i came up from Red Screes way and was on the Dove Crag-Fairfield section around 12:45-1pm-ish.... although i took a duff line around/under (and then over!) Hart Crag.
    I was looking out for a runner coming the other way - but I started just after 9 so was home by 12.30 or so. The best line - I think - over Hart Crag is to be on or cross over to the left of the wall just as it starts to go sharply uphill, go across a couple of rocky bands then it is uphill on grass until the top - you are just to the left of the main rocky path - then level on grass for a bit, and finally down into Link Hause joining the main rocky path. The next ascent is best on the right, again on grass.

Even when visibility is good it is easy to go wrong. I hate to think where I got to one day when the clag was down and it was all covered in deep snow. Sometimes the safest self rescue is to go back up to the top, which is what I did that day.
    Last edited by Mike T; 29-05-2021 at 06:18 PM.

Yes i got the climb out of Link Hause about right, gentle grass gradient to the right of the main path. On/around Hart Crag i was way too far down to the left, and like yourself, i ended up giving it up as a bad job, and making a beeline straight for the summit.

Master
    12.29 miles, 3,231 feet, 3 hours 20 minutes: Fairfield Horseshoe c/w. Wall to wall sunshine, hazy in the distance. Perfect vest weather, but with a risk of sunburn, so I wore a light long sleeved top until the last hour. A refreshing breeze on the tops. Terrain mainly dry. Lots on the fell, including quite a few runners, and town is heaving. I suspect quite a few of the runners were OMMing.

Master
    13.8 miles, 3,786 feet, 3 hours 55 minutes: To Swinescar Pike and Silver How and back, via Loughrigg top both ways. Blue sky, more contrails than natural clouds, a very pleasant breeze on the tops. Terrain mainly dry, still soft. But for the strong sunshine I would have worn a vest throughout. Quite a few about, some in large groups of a dozen or so. Roads busy. There was a tent on Todd Crag - I do hope they left no mess.

Master
    12.31 miles, 3,238 feet, 3 hours 24 minutes: Fairfield Horseshoe c/w. Sunny, very warm, a cool breeze on top. Terrain mainly dry, but still soft. Down to my vest for the last 30 minutes - would have been throughout but for the risk of sunburn. Only saw 6 on my way up, but on the descent there were lots coming up through Nook End Farm - they would have had a rather warm and thirsty few hours in front of them. Town very busy - cars and people.

Master
    12.31 miles, 3,469 feet, 3 hours 25 minutes: Fairfield Horseshoe c/w. Warmer than yesterday, and a stronger wind. High thin cloud, so the sun was not as strong as I expected, even so I kept my long sleeved top on until the last half hour. Terrain dry. Again lots heading up late morning.

Master
    12.4 miles, 3,492 feet, 3 hours 30 minutes: Fairfield c/w, going over all the tops for a change, and staying on the race side of the wall on the descent. Overcast, no wind, no rain, some of the high tops just in cloud. In my vest all the time. Terrain dry apart from the occasional boggy patch on the way down. Only 18 seen on the fell. Town heaving - cars and people.

Master
    7.7 miles, 3,766 feet, 2 hours 33 minutes: Wansfell Pike, including twice up and three times down the race route to the kissing gate. Sunshine and clouds, and a refreshing breeze at times. Perfect for a vest if you go early enough. Dew on the grass, which is growing fast, as is the bracken, otherwise the terrain is dry. Only came across 5 others on the fell.

Master
    12.38 miles, 3,512 feet, 3 hours 25 minutes: Fairfield Horseshoe c/w, going over all the tops, and down the race side of the wall on the descent. Sunshine and clouds, no wind or rain. Terrain dry, soft. Wore my vest throughout - I started early and had sunscreen on. I passed 18 on the way up, probably double that on the way down. Town very busy.

Master
    11.47 miles, 3,497 feet, 3 hours 10 minutes: Nook End Farm - Low Pike and High Pike (on the race descent side of the wall) - High Bakestones - Scandale - Red Screes - Roundhill Farm. Sunshine and clouds, a pleasant cool breeze on the tops, perfect vest weather. Terrain dry and soft. Only 11 others on the fells, but lots were heading up as I got near home.