Page 158 of 300 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158159160168208258 ... LastLast
Results 1,571 to 1,580 of 2998

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Thank you.... yes your "nice" path is the alternative that i mentioned.

I did cut the corner on the final pull up onto Dove Crag, but to be honest i'm not sure it saved me much time at all.

High Hartsop Dodd though

Master
    6.65 miles, 1,848 feet, 1 hour 41 minutes: Lingmoor Fell c/w from NDG. Mainly cloudy, some sunshine, intermittent light drizzle, no wind. Terrain damp and a bit slippery. First run with AAC since March last year - great to have company again. They left me for dead on the descents, but I held my own otherwise.

Great stuff Mike and good to hear you back club running...

I'm a bit gutted as my group are running the Coledale Horseshoe race route on monday night... but i shall still be in Coventry!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post

I'm a bit gutted as my group are running the Coledale Horseshoe race route on monday night... but i shall still be in Coventry!
    Going off at a bit of a tangent I know but broadly speaking the people most vocal against the use of gps devices in fell races are the locals, you know the very locals that run the race routes all the time in their club runs

Master
    13.49 miles, 3,636 feet, 3 hours 36 minutes: over to Silver How, Lang How and Swinescar Pike, taking in Loughrigg top both ways. Sunshine and clouds, warm, no wind - perfect vest weather. Terrain dry. Lots about, particularly on the road up from Miller bridge.

Found myself in Mike T territory today for a recce of the 5 Passes route. Up over Loughrigg from Grasmere, then over Wansfell and down to Troutbeck. Left the route there and headed up the Trout Beck valley. Never been up there before and it was lovely, absolutely deserted, but for some sheep and a solitary deer. Rejoined the route at Threshthwaite Mouth, over to Kirkstone, up Red Screes, down Scandale and the Coffin Route back Grasmere.
    Geoff Clarke

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    Found myself in Mike T territory today for a recce of the 5 Passes route. Up over Loughrigg from Grasmere, then over Wansfell and down to Troutbeck. Left the route there and headed up the Trout Beck valley. Never been up there before and it was lovely, absolutely deserted, but for some sheep and a solitary deer. Rejoined the route at Threshthwaite Mouth, over to Kirkstone, up Red Screes, down Scandale and the Coffin Route back Grasmere.
    That is a decent outing! The ascent of Red Screes from Kirkstone is tough when it is warm and legs are tired. Well done.

I did that climb up Red Screes, after going Patterdale, Boredale Hause, High Street, Stoney Cove Pike, Kirkstone (2hrs15)

It was probably the toughest section of the whole run (which continued onto Fairfield, St Sunday, Patterdale). In fact i think it was the only point which I came to a standstill at any point without good reason (ie drink etc)
    Last edited by Travs; 12-06-2021 at 09:38 PM.

Yeah, it's a bit of bugger, definitely a case of try not think about it too much and one foot in front of the other.

Sounds like a good loop, Travs. When I was BG training I often used to park at Hartsop and do similar: up Hartsop Dodd, round to High Street, down to Boredale Hause, across to Helvellyn, Fairfield, Red Screes, Stoney Cove Pike and back down over Hartsopp Dodd. A good run out!
    Geoff Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    Yeah, it's a bit of bugger, definitely a case of try not think about it too much and one foot in front of the other.

Sounds like a good loop, Travs. When I was BG training I often used to park at Hartsop and do similar: up Hartsop Dodd, round to High Street, down to Boredale Hause, across to Helvellyn, Fairfield, Red Screes, Stoney Cove Pike and back down over Hartsopp Dodd. A good run out!

It's basically the Hodgson Brothers Relay route, but without dropping down to leg changeover points. It's actually featured on their website as the "Hodgson Four".... though i think the route you mention probably beats it for severity!

But yes, numerous loops around Patterdale to be had... one of my favourite valleys.
    Last edited by Travs; 13-06-2021 at 11:20 AM.