Page 168 of 300 FirstFirst ... 68118158166167168169170178218268 ... LastLast
Results 1,671 to 1,680 of 2997

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Roaches is some race... much more testing than the stats would suggest.
    I've never done it Trav's as it always falls on the same day, Rememberance Day, as the Leg It Round Lathkil which is on my doorstep. The LIRL is not going ahead this year so I plan to give the Roaches a go, but having said that, I cannot find any info as whether it is on or not.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I've never done it Trav's as it always falls on the same day, Rememberance Day, as the Leg It Round Lathkil which is on my doorstep. The LIRL is not going ahead this year so I plan to give the Roaches a go, but having said that, I cannot find any info as whether it is on or not.
    It's listed on FRA site as 14th November, so would assume that since all the races started appearing on there in early summer, that they've registered it with FRA... but yeah it's not on the usual race website yet.

For me it always clashes with the 1st Birmingham League XC. I doubled up last time and actually got a massive pb... but think i'm past doubling up on races... would rather perform well in one.

Master
    9.15 miles, 3,707 feet, 3 hours 54 minutes: ODG - Three Tarns via Buscoe Sike - Crinkle Crags - Pike O'Blisco - Side Pike - ODG. Initially overcast, with the cloud base at about 2,000 feet, but it cleared as I left the Crinkles. No wind. Mizzly in the mist. Terrain damp/slippery at first, later dry. I did not meet anybody on the Crinkles; there were a few on Blisco and Side Pike.

I met a couple taking their 3 kids under 10 up Side Pike. Whilst the rocky shelves are not that tricky, in places the vegetation overhangs the side of the paths, making them look wider than they are. Tread on that vegetation and you could fall a long way.

Tonight's RATRun was from The Greyhound at Warslow. Eight of us ran the Warslow Beer Festival Fell Race route which, as anyone who has run it will tell you, is a tough little bugger. Varied terrain, mainly pathless, with short but very steep ascents and descents.

Just under 7 miles and 1,800feet. Apart from one person gathering mushrooms, of which there were many, no one else was seen on a warm and mainly sunny evening. Back at The Greyhound cheesy chips and nachos were washed down with excellent Otter's Pool 4.1% from the Wincle Beer Co and Greyhound Gold 4.0%.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    A walk to get the first blackberry harvest of the year.

Some of you may notice the hypocrisy of a bloke who has been complaining about being scratched by brambles while running, then going out to collect the fruit from those brambles.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

[QUOTE=anthonykay;675372]A walk to get the first blackberry harvest of the year.

Blackberry's nowhere near ready in this neck of the woods but mushrooms in abundance if you know where to look!

Master
    20.48 miles, 4,021 feet, 5 hours 26 minutes: Staveley - Kentmere - Shipman Knotts - Kentmere Pike - Harter Fell - Nan Bield - High Street - Blue Gill - Troutbeck Church - Robin Lane - Ambleside. Overcast, cloud base initially about 1,000 feet, later 2,000 feet and eventually a bit of sunshine. Mizzly at times in the mist. Terrain damp and slippery. Very few up high though I saw a couple of runners on Kentmere Pike. Troutbeck and Robin Lane very busy.

That's a grand run out!

Love the area around Harter/Nan Bield/High Street. In fact following the "ridge" all the way from there over to Kirkstone is my idea of perfection.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    20.48 miles, 4,021 feet, 5 hours 26 minutes: Staveley - Kentmere - Shipman Knotts - Kentmere Pike - Harter Fell - Nan Bield - High Street - Blue Gill - Troutbeck Church - Robin Lane - Ambleside. Overcast, cloud base initially about 1,000 feet, later 2,000 feet and eventually a bit of sunshine. Mizzly at times in the mist. Terrain damp and slippery. Very few up high though I saw a couple of runners on Kentmere Pike. Troutbeck and Robin Lane very busy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    That's a grand run out!

Love the area around Harter/Nan Bield/High Street. In fact following the "ridge" all the way from there over to Kirkstone is my idea of perfection.
    For me perfection in this area is from:-

Harter Fell to:- Mardale ill bell, The Knott, Raven Howe, Red Crag, Wether Hill,

Loadpot Hill, Arthurs Pike, Bonscale Tower ,Hallin Fell, Steel Knotts, Beda Head,

The Nab, Rest Dodd,Brock Crags, Angletarn Pikes, Place Fell.

Then down to Patterdale for the bus home I.M.O. that gives a perfectly satisfying Bimble on some of the best, quietest fells in this area.
    Last edited by JohnK; 21-08-2021 at 11:02 AM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    For me perfection in this area is from:-

Harter Fell to:- Mardale ill bell, The Knott, Raven Howe, Red Crag, Wether Hill,

Loadpot Hill, Arthurs Pike, Bonscale Tower ,Hallin Fell, Steel Knotts, Beda Head,

The Nab, Rest Dodd,Brock Crags, Angletarn Pikes, Place Fell.

Then down to Patterdale for the bus home I.M.O. that gives a perfectly satisfying Bimble on some of the best, quietest fells in this area.

That's quite a run out too.... i did something vaguely similar starting from Martindale Church when i was completing my Wainwrights list. I recall only seeing one person (on the section from Beda Fell to AngleTarn Pikes), and the out-and-back to The Nab seemed particularly sapping.

Talking of perfection, i recently ran the high level part of the Hodgson Brothers Relay route, and that was absolutely fantastic. Roughly comparable to Borrowdale in terms of stats, but a far superior route (in my opinion)