Page 170 of 303 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172180220270 ... LastLast
Results 1,691 to 1,700 of 3021

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    15.37 miles, 6,065 feet, 5 hours 43 minutes: Traveller's Rest - Winterseeds - Grisedale Tarn - St Sunday Crag - Birks - Trough Head - Glemara Park - Elmhow zig-zags - St Sunday Crag - Grisedale Tarn - Seat Sandal - Winterseeds - Traveller's Rest. Sunshine and clouds, and a refreshing cool breeze. No rain. Terrain dry and firming up. Not many on the fells; - saw a fellow AAC member on St Sunday Crag.

I was told off by one of the farmers for not locking a gate. As far as I was concerned gravity kept it closed, but he was insistent the wind could blow it open. I was surprised how aggressive and angry he was, and thought it best to apologise.

Last nights RATRun was from the Queen Anne at Great Hucklow. Seven of us set off across fields to Little Hucklow and then down to Bradwell Dale where we crossed the road at Hazlebadge Hall and where one of our number deposited some mushrooms he had gathered, with a lady he happened to know who was stood in the yard, for later collection.
    The next mile was steeply uphill, mainly hands on knees, up part of the Bradwell FR route onto Bradwell Edge.
    Once on the edge there was a welcome cool breeze as we traversed over to the TP at Durham Edge. The TP is located right at the end of the Derbyshire and Lancashire Gliding club grass runway. There were 3 gliders in the air and the same number of vehicles with flashing orange lights dashing about.

Our leader for the evening decided on a "short cut" across Abney Moor, back to the path, which caused him to get much abuse for the half a mile of slow heathery and tussocky grief he subjected us to!
    Back on the path to a quick in and out of the top end of Abney Clough and then back down to the Queen Anne into a beautiful sunset.
    A total of 7.2 miles, 1,309 feet in 1hr 12 min. Delicious cheesy chips were washed down with Farmers Blonde and Bass.

I must just add that we did not abide with Wheeze's new SB rule!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 27-08-2021 at 03:50 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    15.37 miles, 6,065 feet, 5 hours 43 minutes: Traveller's Rest - Winterseeds - Grisedale Tarn - St Sunday Crag - Birks - Trough Head - Glemara Park - Elmhow zig-zags - St Sunday Crag - Grisedale Tarn - Seat Sandal - Winterseeds - Traveller's Rest. Sunshine and clouds, and a refreshing cool breeze. No rain. Terrain dry and firming up. Not many on the fells; - saw a fellow AAC member on St Sunday Crag.

I was told off by one of the farmers for not locking a gate. As far as I was concerned gravity kept it closed, but he was insistent the wind could blow it open. I was surprised how aggressive and angry he was, and thought it best to apologise.

Earlier in the summer i had a run-in with a farmer in the Patterdale area.

Admittedly, it was my fault, i was trespassing. However the 1:50000 map in my possession appeared to show an unclassified road/track. On reviewing the 1:25000 map when i got home, it was clear that i was on private ground and had been in the wrong.

However it was the attitude and conduct of the farmer which annoyed me. I realise it was a stressful time for farmers (Lambing time), and they no doubt put up with a lot from tourists in the Lake District, but i wouldn't willingly trespass, and i have the utmost respect for them (my landlord is himself a farmer).

But first accosted me and angrily questioned me about why i didn't have a map. When i showed him my map and tried to explain, he just wouldn't let me get a word in, coupled with some foul language.

Then wonders why he gets a mouthful back in return.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post

Admittedly, it was my fault, i was trespassing. However the 1:50000 map in my possession appeared to show an unclassified road/track. On reviewing the 1:25000 map when i got home, it was clear that i was on private ground and had been in the wrong.

However it was the attitude and conduct of the farmer which annoyed me. I realise it was a stressful time for farmers (Lambing time), and they no doubt put up with a lot from tourists in the Lake District, but i wouldn't willingly trespass, and i have the utmost respect for them (my landlord is himself a farmer).

But first accosted me and angrily questioned me about why i didn't have a map. When i showed him my map and tried to explain, he just wouldn't let me get a word in, coupled with some foul language.

Interesting - you did what was 100% reasonable - you had a map. Lucky - for him - that it did not become physical.

Master
    12.84 miles, 3,882 feet, 3 hours 59 minutes: Traveller's Rest - Bracken Hause zig-zags - Helm Crag - Calf Crag - Steel Fell - Steel End - Dunmail Raise - Steel Fell - Calf Crag - Bracken Hause - Traveller's Rest. Sunshine and clouds, no wind nor rain, the perfect temperature. Terrain dry, firm. Lots were heading up from Dunmail raise - there was obviously an event on. There were also lots of walkers going from Helm Crag to Calf Crag.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post

However it was the attitude and conduct of the farmer which annoyed me. I realise it was a stressful time for farmers (Lambing time), and they no doubt put up with a lot from tourists in the Lake District, but I wouldn't willingly trespass, and i have the utmost respect for them (my landlord is himself a farmer).

Firstly, trespass ia a civil matter and NOT a criminal offence. So, for example, if you ever see the the sign ‘Trespassers will be prosecuted’ whoever placed it there are 'having a laugh'. Well, currently that's true although I believe the recent Government's attempt to pass a law which is primarily to deter travellers may have wider implications for us all. Same when you read 'dogs must be kept on a lead', when you and your dog are using a public right of way. That's total tosh too, but you do have a duty to keep you dog under close control.

What IS a criminal offence is when a farmer/landowner, attempts to harangue you if you happen to be be off a public right of way/access land, and, in particular, if they use foul language that you find offensive, or threatening, etc. https://www.cps.gov.uk/crime-info/ve...assment-public.

Fortunately, I've only had three memorable 'contretemps' with unreasonable (and wrong) farmers and game keepers in many decades of running, walking and horse riding in the countryside. I've found that the vast majority are reasonable, and even extra helpful, when you apologise if you're trespassing inadvertently.

I do believe that bullies and tin-pot Hitlers need to be challenged if you believe you're up to it, if only for the sake of the next innocence members of the public they encounter and try to exercise their 'authority' on.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    10.02 miles, 3,807 feet, 3 hours 28 minutes: Traveller's Rest - Little Tongue - Grisedale Tarn - Helvellyn - Grisedale Tarn (up next to the wall, down via the zig-zags) - Seat Sandal - Traveller's Rest. Initially very sunny, but dense cloud rolled in from the north when I was halfway up to the tarn, and it did not abate until I was descending from Seat Sandal. No rain, very little wind, terrain mainly dry and firm. Very few people about apart from 30 or so at the top of Helvellyn. Car parks overflowing.

I waved to my angry friend the farmer who was on his tractor - he clearly saw me but did not wave back.

10.02 miles, 3,807 feet, 3 hours 28 minutes: Traveller's Rest - Little Tongue - Grisedale Tarn - Helvellyn - Grisedale Tarn (up next to the wall, down via the zig-zags) - Seat Sandal - Traveller's Rest. Initially very sunny, but dense cloud rolled in from the north when I was halfway up to the tarn, and it did not abate until I was descending from Seat Sandal. No rain, very little wind, terrain mainly dry and firm. Very few people about apart from 30 or so at the top of Helvellyn. Car parks overflowing.

I waved to my angry friend the farmer who was on his tractor - he clearly saw me but did not wave back.
    Perhaps try blowing him a kiss next time Mike (or maybe not ).
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    15.61 miles, 6,247 feet, 5 hours 48 minutes: Traveller's Rest - Grisedale Tarn - St Sunday Crag - Elmhow zig-zags - Braesteads - Red Tarn - Catstycam - Swirral Edge - Helvellyn - Grisedale tarn - Seat Sandal - Traveller's Rest. Overcast, cloud base between 2,000 and 2,500 feet. No wind nor rain, terrain dry and firm. Again, lots on top of Helvellyn - very few elsewhere. Saw half a dozen other fell runners.

It finally dawned on me what the strange grey/white powder is on the top of Helvellyn - scattered ashes.
    Last edited by Mike T; 30-08-2021 at 04:59 PM.

Master

It finally dawned on me what the strange grey/white powder is on the top of Helvellyn - scattered ashes.
    Yes I wish folk would use a little discretion when scattering the ashes of loved ones and try and avoid paths/well frequented areas, as I for one am not happy running/ walking through the remains of the dead, nor am I happy when wild swimming and find myself swimming through a film of ash it takes an age to convince myself that I have been able to clean and rid my body of every last particle of the deceased.
    Last edited by JohnK; 30-08-2021 at 08:22 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was