Page 179 of 300 FirstFirst ... 79129169177178179180181189229279 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,790 of 2997

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    9.69 miles, 2,636 feet, 2 hours 51 minutes: Loughrigg trails. Overcast, cloud base at about 600 feet, constant light to moderate rain, a strong wind at the top of Loughrigg. Not cold. Terrain saturated and very slippery. The Under Loughrigg Road is flooded - up to a foot deep in places, and it will certainly get worse. Saw about a dozen walkers, and one fellow runner.

I had intended to do a road run, but changed my mind once out, so I had the wrong shoes on to get any grip - Trailfly 300s instead of 255s - as I result I had to take it very carefully. Luckily no falls.
    Last edited by Mike T; 27-10-2021 at 05:06 PM.

Master
    8.86 miles, 4,168 feet, 3 hours 27 minutes: Wansfell Pike three times, including thrice down and twice up the race route to/from the kissing gate. Overcast, cloud base at about 1,200 feet, constant drizzle - light/moderate rain, windy on the top, terrain saturated and very slippery, some roads flooded and impassible. Not cold. I was surprised how many walkers were on the main steps up to the Pike. Three fellow runners seen.

I see the OMM has been cancelled from Langdale this weekend Mike. Must be pretty rough up there (i'm down in Coventry at the moment so missed the worst of it!)

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Meanwhile, down in Leicestershire, where it hasn't rained for a week, the footpaths are mostly dry.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I see the OMM has been cancelled from Langdale this weekend Mike. Must be pretty rough up there (i'm down in Coventry at the moment so missed the worst of it!)
    The Under Loughrigg Road and the road to Clappersgate are both under several feet of water near Rothay Bridge - just down the hill from us. The roads between Ambleside and Grasmere, and between Windermere and Ings, are both closed, and, according to social media, there are abandoned cars in several spots. The only good thing is that it is not at all cold.

I've seen a lot of social media posts about Wasdale being effectively cut off. I saw a photo yesterday of the water level in Wastwater almost coming up to the top of one of the road signs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    The Under Loughrigg Road and the road to Clappersgate are both under several feet of water near Rothay Bridge - just down the hill from us. The roads between Ambleside and Grasmere, and between Windermere and Ings, are both closed, and, according to social media, there are abandoned cars in several spots. The only good thing is that it is not at all cold.
    I've seen a lot of social media posts about Wasdale being effectively cut off. I saw a photo yesterday of the water level in Wastwater almost coming up to the top of one of the road signs.
    These days the current weather is pretty much par for the course for this time of year, just another thing we have got to learn to live with. From my point of view I love the extreme conditions.
    Last edited by JohnK; 28-10-2021 at 09:38 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Master
    12.73 miles, 4,096 feet, 3 hours 57 minutes: Rothay/Miller Bridges - Low/High Pikes - Dove Crag - Scandale - Red Screes - Roundhill Farm - Ambleside. I had the wall on my left on the ascent. Overcast, cloud base initially at about 1,000 feet, later twice that. Intermittent rain/light drizzle. That very strong wind from the south persists on the tops, despite it being quiet in the valley. Terrain saturated and very slippery. I saw four fellow runners, all fairly low down, and about a dozen walkers, some of them quite high up. My waterproof kit is getting a good workout these day.

Master
    10.02 miles, 2,415 feet, 3 hours 6 minutes: Loughrigg trails. Initially overcast and drizzly, later sunshine and clouds and the precipitation stopped. A breeze but no more at the top of Loughrigg. Terrain saturated/streaming and essentially no grip in places. Not cold. Lots of walkers on the fell, and three fellow runners.

Luckily I have three waterproof tops - an OMM Kamleika and two Inov-8 Racelite Stormshell 150s, one inherited from my partner - as it takes that long for them to dry out. They seem roughly equally effective, though the OMM seems heavier when wet, and the Inov-8 zips let in more water, and they rattle more. One of the Inov-8s is quite badly delaminated, but it does not obviously let in more water than the one that isn't.

I have been looking in to the accuracy of barometric measurement of height when it is windy - moving air exerts less pressure than still air, which makes barometers over estimate height in windy conditions.

Master
    12.33 miles, 4,063 feet, 3 hours 39 minutes: Rothay Bridge - Waterhead - Wansfell Pike - race descent to the road - Roundhill Farm - Red Screes - Roundhill Farm - Ambleside. Initially overcast with the cloud base at about 1,000 feet, later some breaks in the cloud appeared, and there was some sunshine and patches of blue sky. A few brief episodes of drizzle. Terrain saturated and very slippery. Windy on the tops, though not as windy as on some recent days. I saw nobody else on the Pike; on Red Screes there was a family group of four walkers. I passed three AAC runners who were, I suspect, just finishing their outing as I went through Waterhead, and a group of seven speedsters came past me descending Red Screes, though one had a fall which may have resulted in an injury - it slowed him right down. There was also a runner by himself higher up.

All over waterproofs worn throughout - it was rather cold high up in that wind.