Page 187 of 299 FirstFirst ... 87137177185186187188189197237287 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,870 of 2987

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    12.95 miles, 2,689 feet, 3 hours 53 minutes: around the Roman Ruins, then Brathay and Loughrigg trails. Overcast, with the cloud base just catching some of the highest tops. Breezy on the top of Loughrigg; no rain, not cold. Some snow fell overnight above about 2,000 feet, but it looks very thin and patchy. Terrain soft and wet/saturated/slippery - very different from yesterday. Not many walkers about; no other runners seen.

I see Mountain Rescue had to help two people who had slipped on fairly low level ice yesterday - one on Nanny Lane, and one just below Orrest Head.

I saw one of the MRT had to stretcher a guy off who had got his mikrospikes stuck in the ground when falling, and suffered quite a bad break (to either his lower leg or ankle)

Nasty

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I saw one of the MRT had to stretcher a guy off who had got his mikrospikes stuck in the ground when falling, and suffered quite a bad break (to either his lower leg or ankle)

Nasty
    I saw that - it is a shame no details were given as to the actual mechanics of the fall/injury. The two people I mentioned would almost certainly have had a better end to their outings if they had been wearing microspikes.

Master
    8.08 miles, 3,009 feet, 2 hours 42 minutes: around the Roman Ruins, then Wansfell Pike from two sides, including twice down and once up the race route to/from the kissing gate. Initially sunshine and clouds, but it soon became fully overcast with light rain/wet snow. A cold wind from the north west. Terrain still frozen, apart from the top centimetre or two, which was wet/saturated and slippery. Microspikes carried but not needed. I was glad I had three layers top and bottom. Quite a few walkers on the steps.

Master
    12.78 miles, 4,426 feet, 4 hours 6 minutes: Rothay Bridge - Clappersgate - Fishgarths Woods - Loughrigg top - High Close - Silver How - High Close - Loughrigg top - Miller Bridge - Rothay Bridge. Sunshine and clouds, and a strong cold wind from the north. No rain or snow, though quite a bit of snow fell overnight above about 1,500 feet. Terrain still hard in places - at the level I was at, the top layer was wet/saturated and slippery, but not icy. Microspikes carried but not needed; I was triple layered and double gloved. Quite a few walkers on Loughrigg, very few on Silver How. I saw about a dozen runners.

Master
    8.31 miles, 809 feet, 1 hour 35 minutes: Brathay trails, then to The Drunken Duck and back - so mostly on bitumen. Initially overcast, with intermittent light rain/hail, but it cleared to an extent with some sunshine and patches of blue sky. Most of the tops were in cloud, though there was no definite cloud base, just banks of cloud at multiple levels. No wind nor snow/ice at the level I was at - some fresh snow visible above about 600 feet. Very few people about.

Master
    9.47 miles, 3,432 feet, 3 hours 8 minutes: Loughrigg trails. Overcast, with virtually continuous rain/sleet and a very cold strong wind from the south east. Cloud base initially about 800 feet, later double that. Snow on the ground above 1,000 feet. Terrain soft, saturated, slippery. Despite being triple layered, double gloved and hooded I got quite cold in the wind. I saw two other runners, and twenty or so walkers on the fell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    From the top near the black metal gate go down next to (either side - I go on the right) the 40 or so rock steps, follow the gravel path around to the left, just before this becomes rock turn right off it onto steep grass, and a trod appears under your feet - down, down, down, until the path curves to the left almost horizontally on a band of grass covered rocks - follow this until the ruins of a wall appears, don't cross it yet - turn down right, and again a path appears - follow it down and cross a gap in the wall - down, across a tiny stream, down on the path with bracken on either side, keep going until the grassy terrain basically runs out, turn left and cross the stream and the steps just above the kissing gate.

99% of this is on grass, or more accurately, worn grass. There are steeper more direct variations at the very top, but I don't think they are worth the slip risk. Apart from at the very top and the very bottom, you are well away from the steps used on the ascent.
    Hold on, let's walk it through as they say in biznuss.

Do you head NE after the summit CP and do that little loop around the summit crag? Heading straight back down the way you came up would take you into incoming traffic.

So that hole in the wall you go through on the climb near the top, do you go back through it?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Hold on, let's walk it through as they say in biznuss.

Do you head NE after the summit CP and do that little loop around the summit crag? Heading straight back down the way you came up would take you into incoming traffic.

So that hole in the wall you go through on the climb near the top, do you go back through it?
    Ascending, you go to the top of the steps, right then left on the gravel path; when the gravel path turns to rock you go up due east on steep grass to the marshals at the top; you don't go through the black metal gate, but you are close to it. Descending - from the marshals, head initially north, curving around to east either side of the 60 upper stone steps - I counted them - then around to almost heading south until that short upper gravel path runs out/turns to rock, then turn right NNW on the steep grass. You do not go back through that gap in the wall - that is well over your left. You only encounter the steps used in ascent again when you are almost at the kissing gate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Ascending, you go to the top of the steps, right then left on the gravel path; when the gravel path turns to rock you go up due east on steep grass to the marshals at the top; you don't go through the black metal gate, but you are close to it. Descending - from the marshals, head initially north, curving around to east either side of the 60 upper stone steps - I counted them - then around to almost heading south until that short upper gravel path runs out/turns to rock, then turn right NNW on the steep grass. You do not go back through that gap in the wall - that is well over your left. You only encounter the steps used in ascent again when you are almost at the kissing gate.
    Well, we'll se how i get on, you have far better local knowledge than me. Most of what i remember is how much of a pain in the arse it is trying to run off it with jelly legs. Bizarrely, i managed to complete my entry by recalling my card details from memory. Don't know how i managed that one.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent