Page 19 of 303 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    An Edit of Your post.....
    " the majority of people" insert / "who can run from home, including ALL of those living in beauty spots, but excluding those who cant run from home"/ "think running from home is a good idea"

Another edit " a decent person" insert "ie someone who lives in a nice place to run"

Final edit "helping to take the burden of emergency services" insert "/ " but note that is only for non locals coming, we those who live in high country will continue to run in such places so risking mountain rescue" /.

Its the hypocrisy I dont like daletown. The people I follow that live in the lakes continue to run the high fells unabated. In fact they are running more.

I have never defended transients making long trips to lakes. It is unlikely they can do so without unnecessary people contact. Indeed, there is a question of what happens if there is a problem. But then the AA have very little to do and are still opertaing.

I do defend the rights of owners of second homes there to live out this period in those homes in national parks. The resources of the lakes are underutilized, and I defend all making a short journey to exercise if it makes them more isolated - which it will for most who would otherwise run on pavements - or even a better place to run.
    I run on pavements from home, I don’t live on the edge of a Lakeland mountain, I avoid others by stopping/ crossing the road, I can like most people I would imagine be in a semi rural area within 10 minutes of running If people like you continue to bend the advice then we’ll be completely locked down, all because of the selfish ‘I know my rights’ brigade.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Graham Breeze;659152]

Oh I do so admire someone with a broad vocabulary...

Sadly I am not in Boris's league. On the other hand, I do know some of the semantics and origin of words.

So todays useless piece of information:
    When Boris used the word " piccanninies" it is the affectionate diminutive form of the portuguese word "pequena" which means small . So "pequeninas" is an affectionate diminutive reference to (plural) small children of the portuguese nations, which has then been adopted phonically into the English language. It was never racist, and certainly not West Indian in origin or specifically used of those peoples , despite our lefty media hoping to claim that is so. There were of course portuguese explorers going west who perhaps used that of the children of west indies, but they would have used the same word of their own children! Criancas if they were not so affectionate!
    Last edited by Oracle; 01-04-2020 at 03:05 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    I run on pavements from home, I don’t live on the edge of a Lakeland mountain, I avoid others by stopping/ crossing the road, I can like most people I would imagine be in a semi rural area within 10 minutes of running If people like you continue to bend the advice then we’ll be completely locked down, all because of the selfish ‘I know my rights’ brigade.
    You did appear to observe the "car parks of local beauty spots" were empty. Perhaps I wrongly assumed you had been there!

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    How does that help? The virus can live perfectly happy on the gloves for the duration of the run as on the hands, it would make zero difference.
    Hi Pat, we have lots of normal gloves that we go for a run/walk in if we are off road. Left hand I use to touch gates, stiles, walls. I don't touch anything except my (face, phone)with my right hand. As soon as I get home gloves are thrown in the washer machine ready for next time it's on. Straight to the sink to wash my hands. Wipe down any door handles/gates on the way into home then wash hands again.
    I'm not saying it's perfect but I feel safer for it.

You did appear to observe the "car parks of local beauty spots" were empty. Perhaps I wrongly assumed you had been there!
    I ran through there from home, the beach not the fells

Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    I ran through there from home, the beach not the fells
    And if I couldn’t run there from home, I wouldn’t drive there or closer to there, to run there.

Banned
    I'm with Oracle.

Ones car is as safe a space as any and to drive up to 15 minutes to enjoy green space for exercise is not a crime at this moment in time.

As long as we are all sensible, what's the problem.

Driving a long distance I don't see as being in keep with recommendations.

Don't forget we are still paying road tax and insurance premiums.

Banned
    It's also ok to have differing opinions gentlemen.

The car parking area at Burnbanks (Haweswater) was coned and taped off when I ran through today and there was a polite notice asking people to use the path on the hill behind and above the houses rather than running along the road through them. I've no problem with that. Only saw one other runner on a road I crossed near Rosgill and two MTB riders on the backside of Haweswater. There were two or three cars at Mardale Head but I saw nobody else until I was nearly home.I usually do the skyline, parking at Burnbanks but stayed low today and ran from home instead. More miles but less elevation, obviously, but still a nice run in very dry conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    It's also ok to have differing opinions gentlemen.
    Seconded