Page 197 of 304 FirstFirst ... 97147187195196197198199207247297 ... LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,970 of 3035

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    I've never seen these roman ruins, are they any good? Can we tick any boxes...ramparts/ditches, mosaic, hypercaust box-tile?
    They are nowhere near as good as those at Hardknott - just foundations, no mosaics nor heating systems, but a lovely setting, and a worthwhile walk on a day off, or for partners to do whilst waiting for runners to finish nearby races.

Master
    8.05 miles, 3,248 feet, 3 hours 10 minutes: Wansfell Pike from 3 sides, taking in Stagshaw Gardens, the Champion Tree Trail, Kelsick Scar, Blue Hill Woods, and once down/up the race route to/from the kissing gate. Overcast and misty - again, none of the tops were visible, though some of the outlines of their upper flanks were discernible. Virtually constant light drizzle, a moderate breeze from the west. Terrain saturated and slippery. Very few about; one woman said "I think we saw you yesterday" - maybe!

Master
    12.22 miles, 3,830 feet, 4 hours 1 minute: Rothay Bridge - Miller Bridge - Low Sweden Bridge - around the Rock Step - Low Pike - High Pike - Dove Crag - Scandale - Red Screes - Roundhill Farm - Ambleside. Sunshine and clouds, most of the high tops were cloud free. A strong cold wind from the west. No rain. Very little snow visible. Terrain saturated and slippery. I saw about a dozen people ascending towards Dove Crag, but only three others on Red Screes, one a fellow runner.

I took some new routes today, one when descending towards Scandale, and a couple descending from Red Screes, though one of these was to avoid a lone dog whose intentions I did not trust.

Master
    9.11 miles, 3,118 feet, 3 hours 8 minutes: Loughrigg trails, including some new minor routes. Sunshine and clouds, the latter catching some of the higher tops. A sprinkling of snow visible above 2,000 feet. No precipitation whilst I was out. A cold wind from the west. Terrain anything from dry to saturated and slippery; no snow nor ice at this level. Very few about.

Master
    9.35 miles, 3,243 feet, 3 hours 15 minutes: Wansfell Pike from three sides, including once up and once down the race route from/to the kissing gate, and taking in the true top. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 1,500 feet; a moderate wind from the west; a couple of brief light snow flurries. Terrain anything from damp to saturated; icy and firm in places from the bottom of the valley up; slippery. Quite a few walkers on the main paths.

The weekend looks like it will be a little damp!

Master
    7.36 miles, 2,336 feet, 2 hours 11 minutes: Loughrigg trails, taking in Fishgarths Wood, Todd and Ivy Crags, but not Loughrigg top. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 600 feet; continuous light to moderate rain, and a strong wind from the south west even at low levels. Terrain saturated and slippery. Far more walkers about than I expected, given the weather; and I saw two fellow runners.

Master
    7.92 miles, 2,273 feet, 2 hours 42 minutes: around the Roman Ruins, then the lower flanks of Wansfell, including Stagshaw Gardens, the Champion Tree Trail, and Skelghyll and Blue Hill Woods. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 1,000 feet, constant light to moderate rain, a moderate wind from the south west. Terrain saturated - streams and puddles everywhere - very slippery. Very few about.

Master
    9.07 miles, 2,835 feet, 3 hours 7 minutes: Loughrigg trails, including Todd and Ivy Crags, Loughrigg top, and down to the road at High Close. Sunshine and clouds, mainly the latter, with the cloud base at about 2,500 feet. Intermittent light rain. Patchy snow above about 2,000 feet. Terrain saturated and slippery; a moderate wind from the north. Lots of walkers about, but it is of course half term. Seven fellow runners seen.

Master
    7.2 miles, 3,027 feet, 2 hours 37 minutes: Wansfell Pike from two sides, including once up and once down the race route from/to the kissing gate, and to Wansfell true top and back. Sunshine and clouds, the cloud base being at about 2,500 feet. Less snow visible on the high tops than yesterday. A cold wind from the west; no rain whilst I was out. Terrain saturated and slippery. Again, lots of walkers on the fell.

Master
    9.73 miles, 2,627 feet, 2 hours 49 minutes: Brathay and Loughrigg trails. Overcast and misty - no distinct cloud base but nothing above 2,000 feet was visible. Constant light to moderate rain, a strong wind from the south west. Not cold. Terrain streaming - puddles everywhere - very slippery. Not many about.