Page 198 of 304 FirstFirst ... 98148188196197198199200208248298 ... LastLast
Results 1,971 to 1,980 of 3035

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    8.04 miles, 3,590 feet, 3 hours 3 minutes: Wansfell Pike from three sides, including once up and twice down the race route from/to the kissing gate. Sunshine and clouds, mainly the latter, with the cloud base above the tops. A few minutes of light drizzle; a strong cold wind from the west. Terrain dry in places - elsewhere damp/wet/saturated and slippery. Lots of walkers on the main routes.

Master
    9.27 miles, 2,890 feet, 3 hours 6 minutes: Loughrigg trails, including Todd and Ivy Crags, Loughrigg top, and down to the road at High Close. Sunshine and clouds, mainly the latter, with the cloud base at about 2,500 feet, and the snow line 500 feet or so below that. A cold but not particularly strong wind from the west. Intermittent light rain/graupel. Terrain wet/saturated and very slippery. I saw a couple of dozen walkers on the fell, and one fellow runner. Given that we are in a yellow warning area, with the amber area not far to the south, conditions were fairly benign. Having said that, I was hooded/gloved/triple layered, and there are a few hours left for things to become interesting.

Master
    9.05 miles, 2,829 feet, 3 hours 17 minutes: Wansfell Pike, ascending via the steps from Waterhead, Stagshaw Gardens, Skelghyll Woods, Blue Hill Road, and the race route steps from the kissing gate; descending via the Hundreds Road, High Skelghyll, and Blue Hill Woods. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 600 feet initially. Intermittent showers of light rain/wet snow. A gentle wind from the west. Snow on the ground above 800 feet, though I did not encounter any ice; terrain saturated and very slippery. Microspikes carried but not used. Quite a few walkers on the Wansfell steps. One fellow runner seen. As I was finishing the sun came out.

What could you expect from the new KWL Sallow race, Mike?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Interesting. I have never crossed the private land section, and I have only done the stretch from the under 17 turn around point to the top of Sallows once - in descent - it was jolly wet, and the path was clearly not often used. The Garburn Pass is a very rough and rocky descent. The flat section is very runnable. Have fun if you do it.

Master
    7.46 miles, 2,401 feet, 2 hours 18 minutes: Loughrigg trails, including Fishgarths Wood, Todd and Ivy Crags, and Loughrigg top. Overcast, with the cloud baes at about 1,500 feet. Constant light to moderate rain, with a very strong wind from the south west. Terrain streaming and slippery. I saw a couple of dozen walkers on the fell, and six fellow runners.

The Under Loughrigg Road is starting to flood, and both ends of the pedestrian wooden bridge opposite Rothay Manor are under water.

Master
    8.05 miles, 3,589 feet, 3 hours 5 minutes: Wansfell Pike, including once up and once down the race route from/to the kissing gate, and along the ridge to Wansfell true top and back. Sunshine and clouds, the cloud base being above the high tops. An extremely strong wind from the north west. No rain. Terrain anything from damp to streaming - very slippery. Quite a few walkers on the steps up to the Pike - not many elsewhere.

I doubt I did that much up/down - as mentioned before I blame the strong wind.

Master
    9.5 miles, 3,357 feet, 3 hours 12 minutes: Loughrigg trails. Sunshine and clouds, the latter mainly above the tops. Intermittent drizzle/light rain. A strong wind from the north west. Terrain saturated and slippery. Lots of walkers on the main routes.

Master
    9.01 miles, 2,836 feet, 3 hours 3 minutes: Wansfell Pike, taking in Borrans Park, the Waterhead steps, and Skelghyll Woods on the way up, and the Hundreds Road and Bluehill Woods on the way down. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 2,000 feet; a strong wind, even in the valleys, from the south west. Intermittent light rain. Terrain wet/saturated and slippery. Very few about; two fellow runners seen.

At first I tried to go past the Roman Ruins, but there are short unavoidable sections that are a couple of feet under water, so I turned back. I found a nice relatively dry stretch of grass in Borrans Park - between the Ruins and Waterhead - so did some drills and strides after warming up.