Page 201 of 304 FirstFirst ... 101151191199200201202203211251301 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,010 of 3034

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Mike

I assume the daily runs of this length have come about since you retired and I wondered if your presumably greater fitness has been reflected in the fell races you have done, possibly arresting any natural decline in performance because of aging, although I appreciate that there may not have been a lot of races in the "Covid years", even if there were before?

Graham

(Mmmh. My question reminds me of when Johnny Rogan asked Gene Clark (ex-Byrds) a question that fills a complete page of his book - and Gene Clark responds briefly to say "I dont know"!).
    Hi Graham

I have not done any races in the "Covid years". I am slowly getting slower, and if I did race again I have no doubt I would be well towards the back, but at least I no longer feel tired after a 12 miler for example.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    There are some good youtube videos of chopping down trees with an axe. eg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCshw5x-Ezs. I don't know about you Moley, but this guy looks a bit more muscly than me, and it still takes him a long time to fell it.
    I don't know if anyone on here has visited The Royal Welsh Show, Moley no doubt has, but one of the highlights of it for me are the Axemen display and the wood chopping competitions.

Muscle, technique and a very sharp axe! Absolutely fantastic entertainment.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I don't know if anyone on here has visited The Royal Welsh Show, Moley no doubt has, but one of the highlights of it for me are the Axemen display and the wood chopping competitions.

Indeed. I've seen lumberjack displays in Canada and I recall seeing them running up stripped vertical trees using a belt faster than I can walk on the flat!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Hi Graham

I have not done any races in the "Covid years". I am slowly getting slower, and if I did race again I have no doubt I would be well towards the back, but at least I no longer feel tired after a 12 miler for example.
    Thanks Mike

I never minded moving towards the back of the field as long as nobody older
    than me was upfront.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Hi Graham

One up on you: I am rapidly getting slower.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Thanks Mike

I never minded moving towards the back of the field as long as nobody older
    than me was upfront.
    Hmmm . . . I remember the Mount Famine race, a month short of my 60th birthday, when Barry Blyth M70 came past me on the descent. And of course Ann-Marie Jones, a mere 5 years older than me, was well ahead of me by that point.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    One up on you: I am rapidly getting slower.

Hmmm . . . I remember the Mount Famine race, a month short of my 60th birthday, when Barry Blyth M70 came past me on the descent. And of course Ann-Marie Jones, a mere 5 years older than me, was well ahead of me by that point.
    Barry had class and was a nice guy. He didn't travel far to races which I thought an admirable quality because I don't recall ever beating him.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 08-03-2022 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post

The axe men were always good viewing at the show, it was the guys who did it on the high planks that got me, no way! Where would H&S even begin with a risk assessment?
    https://youtu.be/dYU0iVsKmow
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    And of course Ann-Marie Jones, a mere 5 years older than me, was well ahead of me by that point.
    Ann-Marie is a multiple world champion, so regularly beats good younger runners. In and around my age group, I discount people with that much talent.

Master
    8.66 miles, 2,976 feet, 3 hours 4 minutes: Roman Ruins - Borrans Park - Stagshaw Gardens - Wansfell Pike from two sides, including twice down and once up the race route to/from the kissing gate. Sunshine and some high clouds; the distant high tops were partly obscured by haze. A cold wind from the south east. Terrain dry and firm with the occasional patch of ice. Traction good as long as the ice was avoided. Lots of walkers on the steps to the Pike.

I did some drills in Borrans Park - bum kicks, high knees, side to side, hopscotch, skipping, straight legs - then, rather than strides, I did 40 second efforts with 20 second or so recoveries until I had done one and a half miles. It is a lovely setting.

Master
    9.33 miles, 3,240 feet, 2 hours 51 minutes: Loughrigg trails, taking in Fishgarths Wood, Todd and Ivy Crags, Lily Tarn, Loughrigg top, down to the road at High Close, and the track past the old golf club to Miller bridge. Overcast, the clouds just catching the high tops. A strong wind from the south east. No Precipitation. Terrain dry with good traction. Lots of walkers on the main routes, and even quite a few on the minor routes - I imagine they were a mixture of the lost and the knowledgeable.