Page 214 of 304 FirstFirst ... 114164204212213214215216224264 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,140 of 3031

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    10.1 miles, 2,563 feet, 2 hours 24 minutes: Rothay Bridge - Miller Bridge - Golden Rule - High Sweden Bridge -Scandale - Red Screes - south ridge - Golden Rule - Miller Bridge - Rothay Bridge. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 2,500 feet; some brief episodes of drizzle/light rain, no significant wind. Terrain mainly dry with good grip. Not many walkers about.

This was an AAC run - there were about 18 of us. Again my lack of speed showed; power walking up hill I can just about hold my own.

I do like the run up Scandale followed by the descent down Red Screes.... is a favourite pre-race runout if i'm in the area. Can work up some momentum on that descent although there's a few slippy patches!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I do like the run up Scandale followed by the descent down Red Screes.... is a favourite pre-race runout if i'm in the area. Can work up some momentum on that descent although there's a few slippy patches!
    It is a good route - plenty of hard running if you are fit on the way up, and then a lovely long descent. Assuming the chaps in the club know the quickest way down, it is interesting that I had worked it out for myself, bar one minor detail.

I recall getting from the summit to the Golden Rule in 29mins. Although I did have a race the next day so wasn't going full pelt.... I'd imagine under 25mins is a decent target.

Master
    I recall getting from the summit to the Golden Rule in 29mins. Although I did have a race the next day so wasn't going full pelt.... I'd imagine under 25mins is a decent target.
    In 2019 I did 25.10 - the winner took 15.55.

I'll give it a go next time I'm there!

Master
    9.44 miles, 2,497 feet, 3 hours 7 minutes: Travellers Rest - Butharlyp How - Easedale Tarn - Codale Head - Sergeant Man - Tarn Crag - Far Easedale - Travellers Rest. Overcast, with the cloud base above the tops. No significant wind, no rain. Terrain mainly dry with good grip. The valleys are fairly busy with walkers, but the tops are almost deserted. No other runners seen. Town and parking areas busy.

I wanted to clarify where the Easedale path joins that from Blea Rigg to Sergeant Man, as it is not obvious from above.

Master
    I'll give it a go next time I'm there!
    If you divide the route above the road roughly into thirds, it is the middle third where lots of time can be wasted. The grassy racing line is well to the left of the usual intermittently rocky tourist route.

Master
    10.27 miles, 2,836 feet, 3 hours 37 minutes: Travellers Rest - Far Easedale - Tarn Crag - Sergeant Man - Tarn Crag - Easedale Tarn - Buthalyp How - Travellers Rest. Sunshine and clouds, with the cloud base above the tops. No significant wind; no rain. Terrain dry with good grip. Lots of people at Easedale Tarn - there must have been 50-60; and there were perhaps 100 or so heading up as I was descending. Not many walkers higher up, and there was one fellow runner near Sergeant Man.

Although I have worked out quite a good route from Tarn Crag to Codale Head, that does not mean I can always find it, particularly in ascent.

That whole triangle of land from Tarn Crag to Sergeant Man to the head of Easdale must be one of the most confusing little areas in the Lakes.... and you can probably extend that "Bermuda Triangle" towards Pavey Ark/Thunacar in one direction, and round the head of Wythburn in the other...