Page 218 of 304 FirstFirst ... 118168208216217218219220228268 ... LastLast
Results 2,171 to 2,180 of 3034

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    13.04 miles, 3,446 feet, 3 hours 57 minutes: Fairfield Horseshoe c/w from Rothay Bridge, going to the left of the 3 tops on the way up and on the Fairfield plateau, to the right of Hart and Dove Crags, to the right of the wall on the descent, and around the rock step. Overcast, with the cloud base initially at about 2,500 feet, rather lower later - I was in drizzle/light rain from the top of Nab Scar all the way to Low Pike; there was a strong wind from the west. Terrain wet/saturated and very slippery. A few walkers about, some looking rather bewildered and hesitant; no other runners seen on the fell.

I had hoped to descend on the other side of the wall, but the weather was rather grim and the rocks would have been very slippery so I stuck with the side I know best.

I have been locked out of the Forum for a week or so - I did just under 84 miles and just over 21,000 feet last week.

Master
    8 miles, 3,490 feet, 3 hours 38 minutes: NDG, visiting Stickle Tarn, Pike How, Harrison Stickle, Thunacar Knott, High Raise, and Sergeant Man. Sunny, with scattered high clouds. No wind nor rain. Terrain mainly dry with good grip. Quite a few walkers about. No other runners seen.

I was exploring the Dungeon Ghyll Fell Race descent towards Pike How - lots of runnable grass, but also lots of potential lines - not clear which is the best one.

Master
    12.81 miles, 3,384 feet, 3 hours 54 minutes: Fairfield Horseshoe c/w from Rothay Bridge, going over the tops on the ascent, keeping to the left on the Fairfield plateau and going to the right of Hart Crag, thereafter keeping to the left of the wall, and going down the rock step. Sunshine and some clouds just catching the occasional high top. No rain nor wind. Terrain mainly dry with good grip. Quite a few walkers about, some in big groups. No other runners seen.

It has been a while since I descended on the race side of the wall. There are so many variations ...

Master
    12.26 miles, 3,814 feet, 4 hours 14 minutes: Travellers Rest - Helm Crag - Green Burn Bottom - Calf Crag - Sergeant Man - Calf Crag - Steel Fell - Travellers Rest. Sunshine, with a few thin high clouds. A gentle breeze from the north. No rain - terrain mainly dry with good grip. Quite a few walkers about, and 12 other runners on the fell, including a group of 8. There is clearly an event on as there were lots of runners on the main road.
    Last edited by Mike T; 09-07-2022 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    12.81 miles, 3,384 feet, 3 hours 54 minutes: Fairfield Horseshoe c/w from Rothay Bridge, going over the tops on the ascent, keeping to the left on the Fairfield plateau and going to the right of Hart Crag, thereafter keeping to the left of the wall, and going down the rock step. Sunshine and some clouds just catching the occasional high top. No rain nor wind. Terrain mainly dry with good grip. Quite a few walkers about, some in big groups. No other runners seen.

It has been a while since I descended on the race side of the wall. There are so many variations ...
    Down the step? I remember how much time that cost me when I did the race. I remember looking at the floor and wondering why there weren't any stud marks going my way, and then in became clear.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    There is clearly an event on as there were lots of runners on the main road.
    These may have had something to do with it :-

https://www.lakelandtrails.org/results
    The older I get the Faster I was

It grips my **** that these organisations, of which Lakeland Trails is one of many, who seem to get permissions for their money making ventures in our National Parks whilst many small, voluntary run village races have fallen by the wayside or have had had restrictions put on them.

When you read the PR that they put out about sustainability, environmental impact and cultural awareness it might look impressive but it is all bullshit.

The bottom line is that they are a registered company with a VAT number, making money out of our beautiful countryside.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    It grips my **** that these organisations, of which Lakeland Trails is one of many, who seem to get permissions for their money making ventures in our National Parks whilst many small, voluntary run village races have fallen by the wayside or have had had restrictions put on them.

When you read the PR that they put out about sustainability, environmental impact and cultural awareness it might look impressive but it is all bullshit.

The bottom line is that they are a registered company with a VAT number, making money out of our beautiful countryside.
    Pretty much why I don`t enter there races, neither do I slag them off because I figure they fill a gap for runners that have a different mind set to me.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Master
    10.9 miles, 3,563 feet, 3 hours 23 minutes: Wansfell Pike from 3 sides, including along the ridge to the true top, and down/up the race route to/from the kissing gate. Wall to wall sunshine, with a few thin high clouds. A refreshing breeze from the south. No rain; terrain dry with good grip. Not many walkers about on the fell, but lots in the valley, many with their dogs. 5 fellow runners seen on the fell.

The race descent is now almost completely obstructed by bracken in places - the next time I use it will be when the bracken has started to die off.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Down the step? I remember how much time that cost me when I did the race. I remember looking at the floor and wondering why there weren't any stud marks going my way, and then in became clear.

It does need care, and I would not go down this way if it was wet. There are at least 3 ways down - right next to the wall, over to the left a bit on some rock steps, and further to the left next to the tree. Well worth a recce if doing the Horseshoe or the Rydal Round.