Page 229 of 304 FirstFirst ... 129179219227228229230231239279 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,290 of 3035

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    10.1 miles, 3,062 feet, 3 hours 22 minutes: Wansfell Pike from 2 sides (south-west, then east), including along the ridge to the true top. Sunshine and high clouds, a few minutes of light rain, a moderate cold wind from the west. Terrain damp or wetter; slippery in places. Not many walkers about; no other runners seen.

I started off in my pertex top and trousers - the top came off after 3 miles or so; the trousers stayed on and were very effective against the wind.

Master
    9.14 miles, 2,597 feet, 3 hours: Loughrigg trails, including up the steps from Loughrigg Tarn, and up the race route from the road at High Close. Sunshine and high clouds, some of the latter just catching the highest tops. A moderate cold wind from the north west. No rain. Terrain mainly dry with good grip, but damp/wet/saturated and slippery in places. Quite a few walkers on the fell; no other runners seen.

Pertex trousers were just right today - windproof top not needed.

The air was very clear - superb distant views.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post

The air was very clear - superb distant views.
    Yes, this was very noticeable here on my walk up Beacon Hill today. As well as the usual panorama over the Peak District as far as Axe Edge, I noticed something that I hadn't seen before from here. Beyond the tower blocks of Birmingham, more distant hills, which could only be the Malvern Hills.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    12.46 miles, 3,856 feet, 4 hours 7 minutes: Fairfield Horseshoe c/w. Sunshine and high clouds, and a very strong blustery cold wind from the north east. No rain. Terrain mainly damp/wet/saturated and slippery, particularly the patches of mud, which had that fine layer of silt on top. Having said that, many of the rocks were dry. I saw about a dozen walkers, and 2 runners.

I went to the left on the 2nd and 4th top-avoiding trods on the ascent to try and keep out of the wind. On the descent I stayed mainly on the right side of the wall, and went down the rock step.

Some of the height gain will be an artefact because of the wind.

Master
    7.49 miles, 2,526 feet, 2 hours 19 minutes: Rothay Bridge - Roman Ruins - Borrans Park - Blue Hill Road - Wansfell Pike from 2 sides (west, then east), including along the ridge to the true top - Ambleside. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 1,100 feet. Continuous light/moderate rain after the first 30 minutes, and a strong wind from the south. Terrain wet/saturated/streaming and slippery. I saw perhaps half a dozen dog walkers in the valley, and 3 runners - 2 near Rothay Bridge, the other one heading up towards the Pike.

I visited the chemist on Lake Road on the way home for my flu vaccination - painless as usual - there were lots waiting for their Covid vaccinations.

I came across an orienteering marker on the descent - had I been ascending that way it would have been hidden until I was right next to it.

Master
    10.2 miles, 2,386 feet, 3 hours 3 minutes: Loughrigg trails, taking in the Roman Ruins, Borrans Park, Fishgarth Woods, Todd Crag, Lilly and Loughrigg Tarns, and ascending both the Loughrigg Tarn steps, and the race route from the road at High Close. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 2,500 feet. Intermittent drizzle/light rain. A moderate wind from the west. Terrain as wet as it gets - puddles and streams everywhere - very slippery. Lots of walkers on the fell; 2 other runners seen, 1 in the valley, the other near the top.

Lots of miniature orange flags marking a route over the fell - I am not sure what the event is.

Master
    8.23 miles, 2,406 feet, 2 hours 52 minutes: Kirkstone Inn - Red Screes - Roundhill Farm - Wansfell Pike - Ambleside. Mainly overcast, though the sun came out from time to time. The cloud base just caught some of the high tops. No significant wind, a few minutes of drizzle. Terrain dry in places - wet/saturated/streaming elsewhere - variable grip. Very few walkers on Red Screes, lots on the Wansfell steps.

I was marshalling for the Hodgson Brothers Relay - respect to all participants.

Master
    11.31 miles, 2,946 feet, 3 hours 35 minutes: Rothay/Miller/Low Sweden Bridges - rock step - Low/High Pikes - Pile of Stones between Dove and Hart Crags - back more or less the same way. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 2,000 feet. A strong cold wind from the south west. A few minutes of drizzle. Terrain damp or wetter, very slippery in places. I saw about 20 walkers on the fells; no other runners seen.

I thought I would have a look at the Hodgson Relay route that comes up from Scandale and goes to the left of Dove Crag. I need to clarify the descent/ascent to/from Hartsop Hall, but I will save that for a clear day.

Master
    9.43 miles, 3,223 feet, 3 hours 7 minutes: Wansfell Pike from 2 sides (west, then east) and along the ridge to the true top, taking in the Roman Ruins, Borrans Park, Stagshaw Gardens, the Champion Tree Trail, and Blue Hill Road and Woods. Overcast, with no discernible cloud base, as it was misty to the valley floor. A moderately strong wind from the south west. Constant light/moderate rain. Terrain saturated/streaming - rivulets and puddles everywhere. Very slippery, but my new 260 V2s did a good job. I saw about a 15 walkers on the fell; 1 other runner in the valley.

Master
    8.81 miles, 2,257 feet, 2 hours 51 minutes: Loughrigg trails, taking in Fishgarths Wood, Todd Crag, Lily and Loughrigg Tarns, and going up both the Loughrigg Tarn steps, and the race route from the road at High Close. Overcast and rather misty, with the cloud base at about 2,500 feet, and some banks of cloud below that. No significant wind, despite the forecast. Constant drizzle/light rain. Ground conditions/traction much as yesterday. I saw about 2 dozen walkers on the fell, though both times I was at the top I was the only person there. No other runners seen.

The bracken has started to fall over, blocking some of the previously passable paths.